Droping body on frame!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

eleblanc

Adventurer
Inside pretty much done

attachment.php

Factory locker! And power heater AWESOME feature, get your coolant warm enough for inside heat within 5 minutes, otherwise the diesel take 45 minutes to heat up to get some heat inside. It activate a Viscous heater.

attachment.php

AHC!
attachment.php

targa88

Explorer
Felicitations!
Awesome build (skills that I don't have).
How many hours (there is a mention of 200 hours) do you figure you had put into the build?
Approximate/ball park figure of your cost for the swap (including both vehicles)?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
felicitations!
Awesome build (skills that i don't have).
How many hours (there is a mention of 200 hours) do you figure you had put into the build?
Approximate/ball park figure of your cost for the swap (including both vehicles)?

x2

eleblanc

Adventurer
About 200hours for the swap and maybe 10-12 debugging stuff.

It is not THAT hard, what is hard is to get the space with a lift and space enough to dismantle 2 trucks. It would have been a nightmare to do on rusted truck. We didn't broke a bolt and 99.8% of the nuts stays in place, so that is very usefull since you can put the bolt back in place and not look for it when putting stuff together.

The plastic clips that holds down the harness are tricky, but with the right tools not that bad.

Concerning cost, i pm'd you

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Does the HDJ motor lend itself to a Solid axle swap better then the stock N.American V8 seeing as it's used in the 105??? I guess what I mean is does the oil pan and config of the engine make for better clearence or (like the older SFA Mini-trucks) are there alot of differences in the frames of the 105's compared to the 100 like dif. crossmembers or a clearence 'hump' in the frame???

Sweet conversion BTW, I would KILL to have an ALL TOYOTA Diesel set-up (in my case I'd like to run a 1KZ-Te with an R151 but the HDJ is an AWESOME motor IMO) One of these Days when I hit the Lottery... Course if I do that I think I'll juast move back to Australia... Anyway, back on topic, I'm jusat rambling now...

How much fab-work is involved in this conversion??? Is there any similarity between the N.American motor mounts and the HDJ's etc??? Is there any option of a manual tranny swap to go with this conversion???

Cheers

Dave

dieseltoyz

Observer
Been saying it for years that once you drive a factory Toyota diesel, third party engines (4BT-s etc.) make ZERO sense. You can definitely drive with a straight pipe... The last two 1HD swaps we did the customers opted for a straight pipe. Definitely not loud but VERY throaty. With the stock muffler, they're almost too quiet. We've done 0-60 times with straight pipe v.s. muffler and could find no appreciable difference in either performance or economy. As far as mods, I would add a nice front mount intercooler and an EGT gauge. -Todd

eleblanc

Adventurer
I might be wrong but i beleive the 105 only got the 1HZ engine.

See this thread he removed the 1HZ, engine and installed a 1HD-FTE. Obviously he had to chop and modifiy the 1HD-FTE oil pan.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/expedition-builds/322359-1hd-fte-into-105-build-up-expedition.html

I couldn't say what is different one a 105 frame vs a 100 frame, but there must be alot of difference.

Concerning my experience between the UZJ and HDJ. The engine mount are not the same and not at the same location. Then the tranny mount is further back 2" on the HDJ frame, because the HDJ as a A442F and the UZJ a A343. And consequently the torsion bar cross member is 2" backward and the HDJ with has longer torsion bar.

For me a solid axle 100 is not very appealing, for the simple reason that it is a big truck long and wide and solid axle means hard core wheeling, and here in Canada that means tight trails where you wouldn't want to go with such a large truck. The IFS setup on the 100 seems good enough up to 35".

Anyhow i have the BJ42 for hardcore wheeling and it is turbo / intercooled AND straight pipe...:sombrero:

No reason why i couldn't have use a manual transmission, but being a Daily driver i didn't feel like going manual, again i have the 5 speed BJ for that.

For me the goal was to replace my current DD (Montero), i was looking at new SUV and a 4runner trail edition here in Canada is 50K, and in all honesty not a landcruiser and not as much big. So i ended up deciding that if i'd spent 50k on a new truck i might just do one i really wanted to have.

Fab work involved is very minimal, the HDJ was LHD, same for the UZJ. initially i knew the engine mount needed the be swap, But when we pulled the V8 out and realise the big difference in the tranny and a few measurement later we had to move the tranny and torsion bar cross member. So I decided to pull the frame from under the truck. But i think it took6-8 hours to cut the necessary part on the HDJ and UZJ frame and weld them back on the UZJ.

eleblanc

Adventurer
HDJ and UZJ frame side by side

attachment.php

UZJ frame with tranny and torsion bar cross member removed

attachment.php

Torsion bar cross member removed on the HDJ frame

attachment.php

HDJ Torsion bar cross member with part of the frame, once removed we grinded off the part of the frame on the cross member, once done we had a clean, like new, cross member to be reinstalled on the UZJ frame.

attachment.php

Engine mount ready to be reinstalled on the UZJ frame

attachment.php

esh

Explorer
Nice job! That looks like a lot of work. Makes my 1HZ swap into the 62 look like child's play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears