Heating Options

nelstomlinson

Has anyone used a Dickinson marine heater? A friend is using a propane Dickinson in his van, says it kept them warm overnight at -27F. I have a diesel model on the way for myself.

Alloy

Has anyone used a Dickinson marine heater? A friend is using a propane Dickinson in his van, says it kept them warm overnight at -27F. I have a diesel model on the way for myself.

Yes. they can be difficult
Filter the fuel. Any, yes any! debris in the fuel will foul the metering valve. I let the valve in a stove I had get dirt (the tank had dirt in it and I didn't how important clean fuel was) in it. When I turn the stove down it didn't go down and the bowl flooded. When I came back the stack and the cast iron top was glowing red. Luckily I'd installed ball valve (away from the stove) and concrete board with 1/2" (stand offs) air gap behind it.

Dickinson sells a high temp shut off now

If the stack is too short there won't be enough draw = soot
If the stack is long and there isn't a barometric damper the draw can be too much = run too hot
Diesel fuel with a high % of bio fuel doesn't vaporize very well = use stove oil

nelstomlinson

I used to heat my house in Fairbanks with a drip burner, I'm very familiar with them. Clean fuel is definitely a big deal. My plan is cement board mounted via standoffs on the walls, and aluminum expanded metal shielding on the other two sides, to make sure the blankets don't get too close.

I'm wondering about how folks handle passing the chimney through the roof, and how well it's going to work in high winds or while driving. Fairbanks used to be dead calm most of the winter, back when I was using a Sears drip burner downstairs.

Alloy

I used to heat my house in Fairbanks with a drip burner, I'm very familiar with them. Clean fuel is definitely a big deal. My plan is cement board mounted via standoffs on the walls, and aluminum expanded metal shielding on the other two sides, to make sure the blankets don't get too close.

I'm wondering about how folks handle passing the chimney through the roof, and how well it's going to work in high winds or while driving. Fairbanks used to be dead calm most of the winter, back when I was using a Sears drip burner downstairs.

I had flat roof with a cast aluminum roof flange that had a 1" deep trough that was suppose to hold rain water but it hardly ever had water in it. There are lots of "stove pipe through roof" options.

This is similar to the anti downdraft (stainless) cap I used.

1705894357557.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior