Heating Options

ReluctantTraveler

Does propane have similar issues to diesel at higher altitudes? I thought it didn't, but saw another thread on this forum mentioning some issues about 7,500 miles.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
It does. Although in our experience it isnt worth worrying about. Unless you spend a great deal of time above 10k ft, LP does great.

And to the comment about condensation, this only applies to vent-free LP heaters. A proper sealed burn LP furnace creates zero condensation.

It is very clean, safe, essentially zero fuss, and available everywhere.

FYI, with our camper we go for months on a single 20# cylinder during the winter. We never worry about running out.

ReluctantTraveler

It does. Although in our experience it isnt worth worrying about. Unless you spend a great deal of time above 10k ft, LP does great.

And to the comment about condensation, this only applies to vent-free LP heaters. A proper sealed burn LP furnace creates zero condensation.

It is very clean, safe, essentially zero fuss, and available everywhere.

FYI, with our camper we go for months on a single 20# cylinder during the winter. We never worry about running out.

my primary concern, TBH, is a tank explosion. Which I suppose is silly, but with kids in the camper my tolerance for risk is a lot lower.

did you run copper lines or flexible rubber?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Copper will never degrade. LP breaks down rubbers over time.

And I'm fairly certain rubber is typically only used for supply lines as they are considered a wear item.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
You can probably look up the number of propane explosions in campers, seriously, follow the guidelines and established guidelines!

Being reluctant is one thing, being paranoid is another, maybe you shouldn't leave your living room or, havens, the parking lot!

Just explore on youtube. It's much safer from the couch.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Not sure it matters so long as there are plenty of points secured. The end sections are typically most at risk, so give them the most attention.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

dstefan

how did you get your hands on a Truma??

been looking at them, but they won’t sell direct to consumer in the US.
Yeah, it’s a pain. They’re leery of US liability laws as I understand it. Gotta get it through a dealer and installed. Lots of RV places around here are dealers. Truma also has mobile technicians at least in the West, but DK if they do installs. Try RV dealers near you or bigger offroad or van outfitter shops.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan