Heating Options

ReluctantTraveler

Yeah, it’s a pain. They’re leery of US liability laws as I understand it. Gotta get out through a dealer and installed. Lots of RV places around here are dealers. Truma also has mobile technicians at least in the West, but DK if they do installs. Try RV dealers near you or bigger offroad or van outfitter shops.

Excellent, thanks! I really want the Truma Combi.

simple

Adventurer
My vote is also propane furnace after trying multiple types.

I'd also venture that it doesn't really matter where the tank is located in a camper. If it explodes, it will take the whole camper out.

I wouldn't be concerned about safety if you install correctly . Get a copy of the RV standards. It has very specific details on propane installation. You should be able to view or download for free. I can't remember the exact link but this may point you in the right direction.

ReluctantTraveler

My vote is also propane furnace after trying multiple types.

I'd also venture that it doesn't really matter where the tank is located in a camper. If it explodes, it will take the whole camper out.

I wouldn't be concerned about safety if you install correctly . Get a copy of the RV standards. It has very specific details on propane installation. You should be able to view or download for free. I can't remember the exact link but this may point you in the right direction.

DUDE! I didn't know RV manufacturers had standards! So many of them are so poorly built, I honestly assumed it was just a wild west where they slipped between the cracks of being neither a home or motor vehicle while also being both.

Thank you so much for this!

Tundra08

In our existing vehicle we run a Webasto Thermotop E, plus a SureCal 30L calorifier (from the UK) with 2 DIY radiators. It is connected to the engine which provides all the heat while travelling. The calorifier also has a 1,000W immersion element which we use when we have surplus solar.
It is a great system.
The new build will be similar except we will reduce the calorifier to 10L to save weight (with a 1,000W immersion heater). The reheat is so fast that it will not run out of hot water even with several people showering one after another. I will also change from the Webasto to an Eberspacher.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA106 motorhome
Why the change to an eberspacher? Thank you.

jwiereng

Also considering electric fluid radiator type heaters, the small room heaters, I used those at my cabin a few times and it was nice. Not sure what the drain would be like but it would be much less than an electric heating element type with a fan. The element heats the oil and temp control regulates oil temp with less energy than just heating air.

Don't bother with radiant electric heaters, they heat things, not the air.

Don't forget electric blankets.
I would assume the fluid radiator type use the same power as the electric heating element type. Except the air heater ones almost always need the fan. The draw from the fan is extra. Otherwise 1200 watts heater uses the same power as another 1200 watts heater.

joeblack5

We run a webasto tsl17 5kw hydronic for our floor and radiator heat.. the system is parallel to the engine so that can be preheated if required.
Our main point was to avoid another fuel system on board. Storage for tanks, condensation and ventilation. We cook electric with induction thru solar and lithium. If our truck would have run of propane then it would all have been different but it is diesel

Good luck,
Johan

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
the system is parallel to the engine so that can be preheated if required.
Like ours.
This also means that the waste engine heat heats the hot water service and can provide heat for the habitat as well, while driving, so everything is toasty warm when you pull into camp.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA186 motorhome

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I would assume the fluid radiator type use the same power as the electric heating element type. Except the air heater ones almost always need the fan. The draw from the fan is extra. Otherwise 1200 watts heater uses the same power as another 1200 watts heater.
Thank you, yes, I realize 1200 watts is 1200 watts, the difference with the oil heater is that the heating element burning 1200 watts shuts off after the oil has been heated and the oil keeps the radiator warmer and continues heating the air with no electrical draw. Which is why oil heater are more efficient than a standard 1200 watt heating element that continues to burn. No fan is needed with a radiator type heater. :)

Stuntmonkey

Propane creates too much condensation for cold climates (Canada) for us to use effectively, so we have a webasto diesel heater under the passenger seat fed from the sprinters tank. Someone mentioned diesel smells and what not? You might have had an older / bad unit because after something like 100+ nights with multiple days of the heater running 24/7, I have not smelled a drop of diesel anywhere.

simple

Adventurer
Propane creates too much condensation for cold climates (Canada) for us to use effectively, so we have a webasto diesel heater under the passenger seat fed from the sprinters tank. Someone mentioned diesel smells and what not? You might have had an older / bad unit because after something like 100+ nights with multiple days of the heater running 24/7, I have not smelled a drop of diesel anywhere.
When you mention propane condensation you are probably referring to a catalytic style heater vs a furnace with heat exchanger that expels combustion gases out via an exhaust pipe or chimney. This conversation has been referring to the furnace style.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep, and as far as power concerns go, if you run a ‘gravity’ style LP furnace, you have clean dry heat that requires no electricity.

We run such a unit, its a refurbished 1960-something Hydroflame complete with a modern safety valve and millivolt thermocouple. Dry heat, no electricity needed, and 2-wire thermostat on the wall. 👍

ReluctantTraveler

As others have commented, condensation from propane heaters is an issue when they're unvented (like the heat buddy or whatever its called).

A propane furnace vents to the outside. The interior heat is dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior