Heavy sliders not smart for long-term overlanding?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I don't think knee pads is a good analogy. Maybe minimal running shoes vs HD hiking boots. But that comment about 10% of the payload--that is true! I was just looking up the payload of the Ranger on the Australian site. 995kg = ~2,200lbs! That's over twice the payload I've got!
I think the light vs HD shoe question for hiking is a better one. You see that debate all the time in backpacking circles.

DaveInDenver

Come on fellas!

Shoes/boots=tires
So maybe the question is whether to bring a Goretex shell or not on a hike? Sure don't need that weight unless it rains. :)

Maybe the solution is bolt-on sliders when your trip is expected to use 'unimproved' roads. That means different things around the country and around the world. Like this is a section of "stock-friendly" 4WD trail in Colorado.

DSC01603.jpg

Of course there's plenty of easy and dirt roads where 2WD is more than sufficient, so the answer to this question is: "It depends."

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Scholars will differ. I lived in South America for about 15 years over a span of forty years. Traveled all over the place. Roads have only gotten better. You would probably have to really work to find a place where rock sliders would be worth the cost or weight, especially for a lighter vehicle.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it. Have a great trip!

I think that is something all 4wd owners should consider. Yes, sliders can be of use for certain roads, but I wouldn't let the lack of sliders hold me back from going out and exploring. You can get to most places without sliders. And that's why I don't consider them to be at the top of the list when it comes overland modifications.

If you're building your rig with the intent to travel every technical jeep trail you come across, then I would prioritize sliders.

Of course there's plenty of easy and dirt roads where 2WD is more than sufficient, so the answer to this question is: "It depends."

That about sums it up.

Stryder106

Explorer
IMHO it's better to have them and not need them then to need them and not have them - and subsequently destroy your vehicle. There is a big difference between a stepper bar (Nerf bar) and a rock slider. One will be thin, typically not that heavy and hang down - that will be your nerf bar. Rock sliders tend to be heavy and thick (so they don't bend), welded to the frame (so the bolts don't bend or break - also stiffens yours frame), and tucked up tight to not lose any ground clearance (mine are actually slightly higher than my frame rails and as tight to my body as I can get them (I can open the door and stand on the sill plate if I need to).
//
My $.02 (and I expect some change) is to get the sliders - but get REAL sliders, not nerf bars.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Sliders were something I knew I would add to the mix when building the Tundra. Fortunately for me, I don't really have ot factor in a loss of power from additional weight with the monster 5.7 in the truck. Fuel mileage from added weight, well it's a consideration but not a limiting factor.
I wanted good quality functional sliders that acted as both protection from off-roading, provided a place to jack up the truck from,offered a step for my Wife to get in and out, and were not tubular so that I knew I wouldn't have any possible issues with our dogs getting hung up between the tubes. I ended up purchasing the Slee Sliders and they are an amazingly fabricated piece of kit.

DaveInDenver

Calling those glorified running boards "rock sliders" is a heck of a stretch. Half of the look, zero of the performance. And more expensive than actual, quality rock sliders, too.
The link is to body-mounted sliders. My tendency is to agree with you but the description does make a valid point about modern truck frames being thin wall and strong by profile. So welding or bolting a slider with a long moment arm does raise a question about flex.

I honestly don't know one way or the other to say absolutely. I bolted sliders on that wrap the frame and they aren't as rigid as what I had welded on my old 1991 with its way-stronger-than-it-needed frame. Perhaps with thinner frame walls the good/bad criteria is how big the scab plate and gussets are to spread the force.

I would be interested to know from Jeep people if they find body-mounted sufficient or not. Do they trust them to use as jack points? That would be the main line where they become sliders. They must surely be an improvement over the OEM steps, which are damage multipliers regardless.

Sliders-19-Sized.jpg

Sliders-16-Sized.jpg

sliders-28-sized.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
For a good quality, non rock crawling vehicle I would consider the Randy Ellis Design rock sliders. Light weight, strong and well engineered. I've seen these and they are very nice.

http://www.randyellisdesign.com/Toyota4RunnerRockSlidersBodyArmor

Those are pretty cool. I have been thinking about something like that as I won’t need full on sliders. I liked how Rubicon’s body mount sliders worked and how light they are.

Two questions I have:

- Rubicon’s don’t have the hoops that stick out. How will those rivets hold up when the hoops hit a rock? Seems like the leverage will eventually work the inside rivets loose.

- Do these weigh any less than regular sliders? That’s the main reason why I’d get something like this. Note that they don’t cost any less.

I like the overall idea. I’d just like to see it with no or smaller hoops.

Clutch

<---Pass
4 people for a SA trip, think I would ditch the 4Runner altogether and get a fullsize 3/4-1 ton crew cab pickup.

Won't have to worry about weight too much then (or most importantly room).

We used to take my buddy's 4Runner from Tucson to Baja out side of Tecate for dirt bike trips, 7 hours in that thing with 4 people and gear got old real quick, can't imagine spending weeks on end in one.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
4 people for a SA trip, think I would ditch the 4Runner altogether and get a fullsize 3/4-1 ton crew cab pickup.

We used to take my buddy's 4Runner to Baja out side of Tecate for dirt bike trips, 7 hours in that thing with 4 people and gear got old real quick, can't imagine spending weeks on end it one.

This.

phsycle

Adventurer

We used to take my buddy's 4Runner from Tucson to Baja out side of Tecate for dirt bike trips, 7 hours in that thing with 4 people and gear got old real quick, can't imagine spending weeks on end in one.

I would say just a full size would be ok, even if it's a half ton. But I agree--a year long trip with 2 kids in a mid-size would be tough. If I were to take something like that on, I would probably get a Sportsmobile, and if that's not possible, even just a 2WD van like a Transit or Sprinter. But that would depend on the route.

robert

Expedition Leader
Unless you are planning to go off-roading in tougher areas I can't imagine why you'd need them, look at the typical vehicles in these areas and most don't have them, even the 4wds. On the other hand I like mine for the protection they offer from shopping carts to side impacts, they offer jacking points for hi-lifts and I primarily use mine to stand on when loading the roof rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12