Heavy sliders not smart for long-term overlanding?

Clutch

<---Pass
I would say just a full size would be ok, even if it's a half ton. But I agree--a year long trip with 2 kids in a mid-size would be tough. If I were to take something like that on, I would probably get a Sportsmobile, and if that's not possible, even just a 2WD van like a Transit or Sprinter. But that would depend on the route.

Yeah it would, a Tundra Crew Max would be nice.

I was thinking 3/4-1 ton for all of the gear and extra fuel...won't have to be such a weight weenie then. Toss on a camper shell and 2 RTT's...one for the parents second for the kiddies.

Van sure would awesome too. Love the ease of getting in and out of one, nice big side door, access from the driving compartment to the rear...especially if you have kids that need some attention if (more likely when) they get sick.

Can toss some RTT's on a van too.

Trikebubble

Adventurer

The space in the Crewmax is amazing. I'm 6'2" and I can easily stretch out and relax in total comfort in the back of my sister's Crewmax. In fact, there is more space in the back than in the front passenger seat. I have the Double Cab Tundra as it was more important for me to have the 6' bed.....but boy you could travel the country in total comfort in the back seats of one of those Crewmax's.

phsycle

Adventurer
The space in the Crewmax is amazing. I'm 6'2" and I can easily stretch out and relax in total comfort in the back of my sister's Crewmax. In fact, there is more space in the back than in the front passenger seat. I have the Double Cab Tundra as it was more important for me to have the 6' bed.....but boy you could travel the country in total comfort in the back seats of one of those Crewmax's.

It's too bad the Landcruisers or Sequoia's don't have the same 2nd row leg room. I understand it's probably due to the 3rd row, but that would be super nice to have all that room.

phsycle

Adventurer

I was thinking 3/4-1 ton for all of the gear and extra fuel...won't have to be such a weight weenie then. Toss on a camper shell and 2 RTT's...one for the parents second for the kiddies.

Van sure would awesome too. Love the ease of getting in and out of one, nice big side door, access from the driving compartment to the rear...especially if you have kids that need some attention if (more likely when) they get sick.

Can toss some RTT's on a van too.

The only thing I worry about the 3/4 ton is given the freedom of almost limitless load capacity, you will pack everything including both kitchen sinks. I am getting to almost a minimalist mindset on these type of trips. But there is a fine line between that and the value of everyday comfort. An Alaskan to sleep in, instead of an RTT or ground tent would be much more tolerable on a daily basis.

But if not being too adventuresome, I would think a high-roof Sprinter would be great. All enclosed platform would have much more useable space. Especially during rain and snow days, where you can move around a bit inside. They sure are tall and cumbersome-looking, though...

smugshot_5271755-L.jpg

LucyRory_Sprinter.jpg

Sprinter-van-blacked-out-rims.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
The only thing I worry about the 3/4 ton is given the freedom of almost limitless load capacity, you will pack everything including both kitchen sinks. I am getting to almost a minimalist mindset on these type of trips. But there is a fine line between that and the value of everyday comfort. An Alaskan to sleep in, instead of an RTT or ground tent would be much more tolerable on a daily basis.

But if not being too adventuresome, I would think a high-roof Sprinter would be great. All enclosed platform would have much more useable space. Especially during rain and snow days, where you can move around a bit inside. They sure are tall and cumbersome-looking, though...

smugshot_5271755-L.jpg

LucyRory_Sprinter.jpg

Sprinter-van-blacked-out-rims.jpg

I hear you the minimalist thing. I like to keep it simple, but I am looking for something more comfortable in the elements, my Wildernest sucks in the wind, cold, and wet. Van would cure that. (or just a simple enclosed trailer)

One of my dirt bike buddies has a Sprinter, it ahhhsum to say the least. I would only lease one of those, as the repair bills are rather high. Someone was saying it is $12K for the emissions equipment. He made some modular interior components that can removed when he turns it back in.

They look huge and ungainly, but drive like a car.

He went from Toyota Pickup, to F-150, to Tacoma, now the Sprinter...likes the Sprinter the best for hauling gear and camping.

Like how this is setup, but would prefer a high roof.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I hear you the minimalist thing. I liek to keep it simple, but I am looking for something more comfortable in the elements, my Wildernest sucks in the wind, cold, and wet. Van would cure that. (or just a simple enclosed trailer)

One of my dirt bike buddies has a Sprinter, it ahhhsum to say the least. I would only lease one of those, as the repair bills are rather high. Someone was saying it is $12K for the emissions equipment. He made some modular interior components that can removed when he turns it back in.

They look huge and ungainly, but drive like a car.

He went from Toyota Pickup, to F-150, to Tacoma, now the Sprinter...likes the Sprinter the best for hauling gear and camping.

Like how this is setup, but would prefer a high roof.

Wow, $12k repair bill??! Was that for the diesel? I don't think I would get a diesel/4x4. I would look for a Sportsmobile for that kind of dough.
People have driven to the tip of South American in 2WD cars, so maybe a 2WD van would suffice. Can't get too courageous in the back roads, though. Which is where a truck would shine.

Clutch

<---Pass
Wow, $12k repair bill??! Was that for the diesel? I don't think I would get a diesel/4x4. I would look for a Sportsmobile for that kind of dough.
People have driven to the tip of South American in 2WD cars, so maybe a 2WD van would suffice. Can't get too courageous in the back roads, though. Which is where a truck would shine.

Yeah someone in Fireside chat was saying...is it true I don't know have to ask the Sprinter guys. Seems like anything with a diesel now-a-days is an expensive headache.

Have been looking at NA V6 Ford Transits, seems like there are bunch out there at $25K and under. I am only 5'8" maybe 5'7" now with my back injuries. :D ..I can stand straight up in a mid roof Transit....well kinda straight (had a L5 vert slip forward) :D

Note: I have been looking on cars.com, car gurus, and Auto Tempest

I go back and forth on van vs truck...I really miss our VW Westy, would love a modern version of it, then again...you're stuck with everything in van if you do a camper build out. Truck camper and/or trailer you can separate when things start to fail. (and they will)

20150813_121457.jpg

Last edited:

worthingtontw

Observer
Just an observation, 100lbs worth of sliders does not translate to 100lbs of payload being sucked up. Since you are removing the existing steps you can subtract that weight. eg 100lbs sliders - 40lbs steps = 60lbs gain. It is not quite as dramatic as it is often made out to be.

Best thing to do is get the truck weighed and figure out how much GVW overhead you have to play with.

phsycle

Adventurer
Just an observation, 100lbs worth of sliders does not translate to 100lbs of payload being sucked up. Since you are removing the existing steps you can subtract that weight. eg 100lbs sliders - 40lbs steps = 60lbs gain. It is not quite as dramatic as it is often made out to be.

Best thing to do is get the truck weighed and figure out how much GVW overhead you have to play with.

Good point. Those 4Runner Limiteds usually come with running boards. You can easily find the payload rating specific for your truck by looking at the sticker in the door jamb.

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah someone in Fireside chat was saying...is it true I don't know have to ask the Sprinter guys. Seems like anything with a diesel now-a-days is an expensive headache.

Have been looking at NA V6 Ford Transits, seems like there are bunch out there at $25K and under. I am only 5'8" maybe 5'7" now with my back injuries. :D ..I can stand straight up in a mid roof Transit....well kinda straight (had a L5 vert slip forward) :D

Note: I have been looking on cars.com, car gurus, and Auto Tempest

I go back and forth on van vs truck...I really miss our VW Westy, would love a modern version of it, then again...you're stuck with everything in van if you do a camper build out. Truck camper and/or trailer you can separate when things start to fail. (and they will)

A trailer system wouldn't be bad, either. Something like a Turtleback that has good off-road performance. You can set up a basecamp and still run around. You just need to get used to moving around the trails with a trailer.

If these crazy blokes can drag a trailer through this tough terrain, shouldn't be an issue. :D
(go to 9:00 mark if you don't want to watch the whole thing. And 36:30).

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
A trailer system wouldn't be bad, either. Something like a Turtleback that has good off-road performance. You can set up a basecamp and still run around. You just need to get used to moving around the trails with a trailer.

If these crazy blokes can drag a trailer through this tough terrain, shouldn't be an issue. :D
(go to 9:00 mark if you don't want to watch the whole thing. And 36:30).

Those guys are nuts!

I have been driving trailers pretty much since I have driving, so not a huge issue. Nothing special about my 5X8 open...bone stock Big Tex, the size seems about right for maneuvering when you need to turn around on a dead end, have dragged it back in to some gnarly spots to fetch broken down bikes. Only issue since it is a solid axle with short leaf springs it bounces a lot, have considered of fabbing up some trailing arms or a set of Timbrens, but I usually just base camp and go explore on the bike...never felt the need, just drive slower.

Might do a 5X8 or 5X10 enclosed one of these days, but don't think my little roached out Tacoma will pull it very well on the highway. (wind resistance)

13690593_10154406835449630_7389590242400467047_n.jpg

dman93

Adventurer
I personally think we tend to add too much to our vehicles, and then haul even more stuff in them. On the other hand, all this weight is relative ... I saw an interesting comment on a South African canopy vendor's site (Steeltop): &#8220;Toyota canopy weighs 95Kgs!(Two bags of cement)&#8221;. Aside from the fact that their bags of cement seem heavier than US bags, it's not much, about the same as one adult passenger. If you want sliders, just cut back somewhere else. I always feel like I should remove my steel roof rack crossbars which get used about twice a year, for both the weight and the aero drag. But I leave them up there &#8221;just in case&#8221; ...

nastav

Adventurer
I don't see why a person that chooses the least off-road capable of the 5th gen 4runners would see the need for sliders? I could see it on the sr5 or trail. A better place to start would be to get some smaller diameter wheels and some decent aspect ratio tires that have some sidewall in place of the larger limited &#8220;rims&#8221;. If you are building out a T4r for serious off-roading that requires sliders.....probably best to trade that in for a trail edition, or better yet a landcruiser.

All factory 4x4 sprinters have the federal emissions system warranty. Def, egr, etc is legally covered.....not sure how someone came up with $12k in emissions work on a 4x4 sprinter. Point is moot, as you're not taking a NCV3 4x4 sprinter to South America due to the requirement of ULSD by MB, and the lack of consisitant availability in Mexico and regions south.

Clutch

<---Pass
All factory 4x4 sprinters have the federal emissions system warranty. Def, egr, etc is legally covered.....not sure how someone came up with $12k in emissions work on a 4x4 sprinter. Point is moot, as you're not taking a NCV3 4x4 sprinter to South America due to the requirement of ULSD by MB, and the lack of consisitant availability in Mexico and regions south.

What about out of warranty, believe that is what the guys in fireside chat were referring to. Kinda why I made the remark that is probably better lease one...or take a loan out and turn it back in before the warranty expires.

Buddy of mine owned one out of warranty, spent $7000 on a new tranny for it.

EDIT: Did find an article saying it is $6000 to replace the whole system, not quite $12K, but not exactly cheap either.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal-flaw-mercedes-benz-sprinters-tom-robertson

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12