Heavy sliders not smart for long-term overlanding?

phsycle

Adventurer
I don't see why a person that chooses the least off-road capable of the 5th gen 4runners would see the need for sliders? I could see it on the sr5 or trail. A better place to start would be to get some smaller diameter wheels and some decent aspect ratio tires that have some sidewall in place of the larger limited “rims”. If you are building out a T4r for serious off-roading that requires sliders.....probably best to trade that in for a trail edition, or better yet a landcruiser.

All factory 4x4 sprinters have the federal emissions system warranty. Def, egr, etc is legally covered.....not sure how someone came up with $12k in emissions work on a 4x4 sprinter. Point is moot, as you're not taking a NCV3 4x4 sprinter to South America due to the requirement of ULSD by MB, and the lack of consisitant availability in Mexico and regions south.

Who cares? He has a Limited. I see plenty other “non-trail worthy” rigs out on trails. “Shouldn't be out there”? Only by elitists who think lack of “TRD” or “Rubicon” badges automatically precludes a truck from being off pavement. I have a Taco TRD, and had various Toyota's and Jeeps, including LC's. I'd happily wheel that Limited :) Times I've turned my nose up at a brand or trim (ie Subaru), is the time I see them go everywhere that I do. Ha ha

nastav

Adventurer
No disrespect meant to the 4Runner limited....I'd certainly drive one....BUT if I were seriously considering “building” a T4r to the point that I'd consider installing “real” sliders, I'd step back and see if trading it in for the more off-road focused T4R with crawl control, etc would make more sense long term. The limited is expensive, and the wheels and tires and full time awd drivetrain are certainly not the best of the T4R line-up for serious off-road work.
I never said it shouldn't be out there.
Where I live, there is always some random ************ in a clapped out Subaru Outback or 2wd vanagon or something driving on the same trail as the “exposexy” rigs......probably more fun in the “lesser” vehicle.
I'd drive a stock T4r limited on most the same crap I drive my overbuilt Jeep on....but I wouldn't start modding that same T4r to be a serious off-road vehicle without considering the fundamental limitations it has over the sr5 and trail, especially when the value/cost of the limited is factore din.
That's it.....I agree “who cares?” Dude can do whatever he wants with his vehicle. But since he's on here asking questions, it seems fair game to voice my opinion, just like the other people telling him he needs a full size domestic truck or whatever.

Clutch

<---Pass
Where I live, there is always some random ************ in a clapped out Subaru Outback or 2wd vanagon or something driving on the same trail as the &#8220;exposexy&#8221; rigs......probably more fun in the &#8220;lesser&#8221; vehicle.

Isn't that the truth! couple years ago I was going back what I thought was somewhat gnarly trail, thinking to myself "man, this is rough"...and there is a clapped out Subbie sitting there when I got to the end.

Last edited:

nastav

Adventurer
Isn't that the truth! couple years ago I was going back what I thought was somewhat gnarly trail, thinking to myself "man, this rough"...and there is a clapped out Subbie sitting there when I got to the end.

^haha....so true

Old/beat/cheap Colorado and Utah backcountry vehicles that go everywhere a Jeep/taco/rover goes.
1. Subaru
2. Vanagon (cannot be syncro or look maintained in the slightest)
3. Prius
4. Volvo 240 wagon....although most of these seem to be gone in favor of the Prius.

Clutch

<---Pass
^haha....so true

Old/beat/cheap Colorado and Utah backcountry vehicles that go everywhere a Jeep/taco/rover goes.
1. Subaru
2. Vanagon (cannot be syncro or look maintained in the slightest)
3. Prius
4. Volvo 240 wagon....although most of these seem to be gone in favor of the Prius.

yep! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12