hot water heater

articulate

Expedition Leader
CAPTAIN COORS said:
finished the instillation of the submersible water heater element, seems to work ok, cheap at around $60, will field test it and let all know how it worked
That's a great place for the tank. Excellent use of space, I think.

So yeah, the heater element and tank fitting???? What's the scoop? And did you have to do a battery bank in the tool box for this or have you always had two yellow tops back there? Are you running with 3 batteries?

I think something like this is the perfect solution for simplcity. I can't wait to check it out.

Mark

CAPTAIN COORS

Adventurer
i just added the second yellow top, like TIM THE TOOLMAN saids "you can't have too much power", got the heating element from www.hydrogenappliances.com and the bulkhead fitting from WWW.PLASIC-MART.COM, the only problem i had with the instillation was the switch, it was too small to handle the 25 amps (it got real hot) i'am not a very good electrician but i'am learning

Last edited:

articulate

Expedition Leader
ARGH ARGH ARGH!

Gotcha.....you are the pioneer with that drop in heating element then. Some of the other boys brought up the amp requirements and all that jive, as though this would't be practical. I see that you have a thermometer attached, very cool. I've got to do this.

I take it that your intention is to get a feel for how fast the water gets to a reasonable temperature from say, oh, 60 degrees (pulling that from my hip pocket)? If it has a switch, you probably had to install a relay, too?

Nice work. I'm now very inquisitive.....

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
CAPTAIN COORS said:
i just added the second yellow top, like TIM THE TOOLMAN saids "you can't have too much power", got the heating element from www.hydrogenappliances.com and the bulkhead fitting from WWW.PLASIC-MART.COM, the only problem i had with the instillation was the switch, it was too small to handle the 25 amps (it got real hot) i'am not a very good electrician but i'am learning

Great job!!! I like it A LOT, and the simplicity is outstanding. I can't wait to hear your real world review.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
CAPTAIN COORS said:

Do you have a relay?

Looks good. I too am interested in the real world test results. Keep us posted!

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
CAPTAIN COORS said:

Flyingwil suggested the right solution to your "hot switch" problem. Just like when you add extra driving lites, you don't want the current feeding the lites to run through your switch. Use the switch to just pick or activate the relay. Then the relay points will connect the 12V source to your heater element. That way, the only current going through your switch is the minimal draw required to pick your relay. You defintley want to use a relay curcuit to supply anything that is drawing any significant current.

Does that make sense?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure of the relay ratings. I would think an electrical supply place should be able to recomend the correct size for your application. Similar to sizing a fuse...understand what your total current draw will be and then pick a size larger than that to give yourself an operational buffer.

Since your circuit is drwaing 25 amps, I would look for a relay that is rated at 30 amps or more.

CAPTAIN COORS

Adventurer
first test run, 20 gallons @ 62 deg., 3 hours raised the temp to 89 deg, everything seems to be working fine

$25 poly tank - $50 heating element - hot shower at the end of a long day priceless

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
:bowdown: :clapsmile Very cool Capt!

Does the 20 gallons include drinking water? Or do you guys take really long showers :rolleyes:

Is water quality affected by the heating element as far as taste and odor?

CAPTAIN COORS

Adventurer
the water is not for drinking but we do keep it clean so we could use for drinking if needed, 20 gallons will last us for 4 days for showers and cleaning up after meals (we do share with the less fortunate)

Grouseman

Adventurer
hot water

I'm wondering if a person had say a 5-10 gallon tank, how long would it take to heat up to say 100?

5 gallons would be enough for two people to clean up each day.

This item might be a great answer for hot water showering while camping.

SS

Update. I asked about a 5-8 gallon tank with the 300 watt heater and they said it would take 10 minutes to heat the water up to 100. If we could figure out a very easy way to use the battery in your truck for heating the water that would be great. I have a blue top, but after a few heat ups it would probably need charging.
I do have a heat exchanger on my cruiser but it does not heat the water up well.

SS

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan