hot water heater

PCRover

Adventurer
I thought about using this 12V heater solution for my trailer, but then after some thinking I don't want to kill my batteries just to heat up water that is needed for only a few minutes for a shower or such. I use my trailer for base camping, not for expedition trips, so the battery might not be getting a charge for quite some time. One possible energy saving solution would be to have a smaller 5g tank for the heated water separate from a larger cold water tank. This would use a lot less power to heat up and would be easier to keep hot over a period of time.

The 12v heating element is a great idea, and will be a simple solution for a lot of water heating needs.

tacojosh

Relay / Fuse power center...

I met this guy in Moab this year, he had a booth set-up and he said he would sell the system to me as soon as they where available to the public. I had a terrible wire mess with 6 relays and a fuse block witch had over 38 wires alone for those connections! I eliminated all the relay wires and fuse block wires now!
The only place I know to get this thing is here: www.4x4spod.com
Source_2.gif

http://www.4x4s-pod.com/Images/500-800k_Installed_3.jpg
The are letting me try thier new switch panel also which I am going to test for them.

Last edited:

Grouseman

Adventurer
Power Inverter

What about a 1500 or 2000 watt power invertor that is powered by the battery in your truck? Then have the typical 110 volt hot water heater. Is this a possiblity? Inquiring minds NEED to know.:) I'm down to weeks for my next big trip and I don't have a hot water setup yet.

Grouseman

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Grouseman said:
What about a 1500 or 2000 watt power invertor that is powered by the battery in your truck? Then have the typical 110 volt hot water heater. Is this a possiblity? Inquiring minds NEED to know.:) I'm down to weeks for my next big trip and I don't have a hot water setup yet.
Grouseman

It is possible- see it here

I still think the Helton in the Tacoma rocks for inexpensive simplicity

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I took a few deep breaths and then applied the right amount of aim and pressure. :Wow1: - When it is done properly, it has a factory look and basically disappears. :safari-rig:

(I also had a bit of practice on my Tacoma first) :shakin:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Super Doody said:
DD,

Nice set up. What's the name of the yellow shower head/pump unit?

If you are referring to the setup in his Tacoma, it is a Helton unit. Undoubtedly they rebadge the unit for thier kits (Turbo Shower) as I have seen them for sale in different configurations. They seem to work pretty good, out of ~100 I've put in service I know of two issue, one was DD's and a switch failed (turned out to be an easy fix) and the other was just emailed to me yesterday and I havn't seen the unit. They are NOT a high volume unit, but I prefer it that way. Most the the showering I have done in the last couple years is out of a Scepter can, I don't want to waste precious water and the low volume of the Helton pump is just enough IMO to have a comfortable shower. I've seen many with Sureflo, etc. pumps and make no mistake they really make for a nice shower, but they also eat up precious water. That being said, if you camp near a reliable water source most often... go with a higher volume unit :D

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Thanks Kurt for explaining...

After two years with the Helton in the Tacoma I am extremely happy with how it works. There is enough heat accumulated during driving to not have to run the engine for at least 4 showers. (approx- 3-4 gallons of water)

articulate

Expedition Leader
CAPTAIN COORS said:
WWW.PLASTIC-MART.COM

1" POLYPROPYLENE FITTING PART #10485

requires 1.75 inch hole saw, also you must be able to reach inside the tank, i just cut a hole in the top and sealed it up after the instillation
Oh Captain My Captain:
I'm moving forward with this mod. Care to share how you sealed the tank after cutting the hole in the top? Use a hack saw to make the hole? How's it sealed up? VERY curious.

Muchas gracias.

Marko D.

CAPTAIN COORS

Adventurer
i used a piece of plactic larger than the hole (about 2" per/side) and attached it with all-purpose adhesive spray, how good is the seal? not sure, we do not use the water in this tank for dranking, so far no problems

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12