I decided to build my own Pop Top camper

97heavyweight

Roof panel installed. This is the reason why I eventually narrowed the camper to 60". I was able to find these ACM sheets in a 5'x10' sheet and it gave me the option to have a solid roof.

Attachments

• IMG_9094.jpg
    IMG_9094.jpg
    730.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_9095.jpg
    IMG_9095.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_9096.jpg
    IMG_9096.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 286

97heavyweight

I attached the top of the canvas using double sided tape. I then laid the canvas on it and rolled it out and clamped it until I could get the front trim piece screwed in place. I was unable to find a drip edge so I used the next best thing! Base cove molding! We will see how well it holds up. At this point in the build i have the front and both sides of the canvas attached and I am currently waiting on more fasteners so that I can build the rear wall. I am hopeful that they will at least ship this week, but only time will tell.

Attachments

• IMG_9100.jpg
    IMG_9100.jpg
    710 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_9101.jpg
    IMG_9101.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_9102.jpg
    IMG_9102.jpg
    726.2 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_9103.jpg
    IMG_9103.jpg
    750.4 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_9105.jpg
    IMG_9105.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_9104.jpg
    IMG_9104.jpg
    679.6 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_9106.jpg
    IMG_9106.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_9107.jpg
    IMG_9107.jpg
    590.3 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_9108.jpg
    IMG_9108.jpg
    736.9 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_9109.jpg
    IMG_9109.jpg
    669.4 KB · Views: 257

highwest

Awesome. I love this. I also can’t weld, but have considered something similar from pultruded fiberglass tubes and sheet... it’s been in my brain for years, but never had the cajones... My hat is off to you!

97heavyweight

Awesome. I love this. I also can’t weld, but have considered something similar from pultruded fiberglass tubes and sheet... it’s been in my brain for years, but never had the cajones... My hat is off to you!
Thanks! It wasn't to hard to do. I did have a bit of a learning curve at first and the R&D portion was rough.

ITTOG

I started my own build and taught myself to weld. All was going well until I decided to change my design and enlarge my camper to a slide in. Now things are going much slower but I am close to the end of the framing. I am thinking about using ACM as well but lately have been thinking more about just aluminum sheet if I can find it in a roll that is 5' wide. My camper is 12' long and it would be great to have one piece on the sides. I did find 6' X 13' galvalume. I guess I could just use that with a wrap given it is not painted.

Yours is looking great by the way. I love the simplicity and how fast you are moving on it.

97heavyweight

I started my own build and taught myself to weld. All was going well until I decided to change my design and enlarge my camper to a slide in. Now things are going much slower but I am close to the end of the framing. I am thinking about using ACM as well but lately have been thinking more about just aluminum sheet if I can find it in a roll that is 5' wide. My camper is 12' long and it would be great to have one piece on the sides. I did find 6' X 13' galvalume. I guess I could just use that with a wrap given it is not painted.

Yours is looking great by the way. I love the simplicity and how fast you are moving on it.
Recpro makes an RV siding that comes in a 10' wide roll and up to 50' long or so. I was going to go that route but decided to not worry about attaching it to a sub-board and then paint.

Yuke

Adventurer
I’ve long thought of using 80/20 for a frame vs all the welded frames you see. Good to see somebody doing it.

I first saw 80/20 at an OEX down in Amado, AZ (long ago ?). It was being used for interior cabinet framing in Bryan Bass’ archeology van. Some random guy next to me mumbled “bet you could use that stuff to build your own camper.” Now I’ve seen it! I’ve been toying with the idea of building a simple canopy out of wood framing (project plans galore) but this throws a curveball at me. Great build.

A couple of questions:
How do you plan to seal the camper to the truck bed rails?
I see a crossmember(s) running across the width of the bed towards the back. Is that for temporary bracing while you’re working on it?
I see you’re using typical clamps on the bed rails, much like fiberglass canopies. I’m sure you have additional plans but a cautionary note: the clamps allow for needed flex when offroad but on sustained washboard the camper may “walk itself back” if not pinned through the bed rails with a couple of bolts both sides. Don’t ask me how I know...?

Following with great interest!

97heavyweight

I first saw 80/20 at an OEX down in Amado, AZ (long ago ?). It was being used for interior cabinet framing in Bryan Bass’ archeology van. Some random guy next to me mumbled “bet you could use that stuff to build your own camper.” Now I’ve seen it! I’ve been toying with the idea of building a simple canopy out of wood framing (project plans galore) but this throws a curveball at me. Great build.

A couple of questions:
How do you plan to seal the camper to the truck bed rails?
I see a crossmember(s) running across the width of the bed towards the back. Is that for temporary bracing while you’re working on it?
I see you’re using typical clamps on the bed rails, much like fiberglass canopies. I’m sure you have additional plans but a cautionary note: the clamps allow for needed flex when offroad but on sustained washboard the camper may “walk itself back” if not pinned through the bed rails with a couple of bolts both sides. Don’t ask me how I know...?

Following with great interest!
Hello, yes it certainly can be done.
How do you plan to seal the camper to the truck bed rails? I am using a 3/8" thick waterproof rubber seal.
I see a crossmember(s) running across the width of the bed towards the back. Is that for temporary bracing while you’re working on it? It was used to ensure that the rear wall didn't flex during the build process.
As far as the clamps go they are your typical fiberglass style clamps. I have modified them so they fit in the t-channel of the frame so i am hoping i wont have any issues. I will though be using a plate at the front that will help align and hold it down and the rear wall at the bottom will be attached to the bed stiffeners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998