I joined the Cult

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Changing out the drums, bearings, seals, adding Spidertrax spacers and an OEM Toyota rim with a BFG tire

Matching rims and tire size all the way around :sombrero:

Trailer is still a bit nose down with the standard ball mount

So I bought this 6" drop mount and flipped it over.

Am thinking about shortening the shank up a few inches....

Last edited:

jdholder

Explorer
Great looking setup!

You could also pull a leaf out of the springs. If they are trailer springs, they are probably too stiff anyway and could break. I don't know if you remember my Bradshaw Trail Experience reported here.

Also - for overkill, you could have Deaver or someone make you some springs to lower the trailer down a bit so you don't have to use that tall ball mount.

Awesome look!

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Great looking setup!

You could also pull a leaf out of the springs. If they are trailer springs, they are probably too stiff anyway and could break. I don't know if you remember my Bradshaw Trail Experience reported here.

Also - for overkill, you could have Deaver or someone make you some springs to lower the trailer down a bit so you don't have to use that tall ball mount.

Awesome look!

They are supposed to be some sort of Jeep sized aftermarket spring that is commonly available. There are some part numbers stencilled on top that I'll try to cross-reference. I'll also load the thing up and see how it does on and off road. I'm curious if it will articulate much.

I'll have to search on your Bradshaw adventure! :elkgrin:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Installed the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller in the 4Runner today. The 4Runner's factory connector is just above the kick panel by the driver's left foot. I noticed a nice spot to mount the controller but I had to fab up a simple bracket out of scrap aluminum to hold the P2's bracket and attach to a small panel brace in the truck.

Then I "exploded" the truck's panels to mount the new bracket combo and route the control & power cable for the controller.

Next I had to tweak my brackets to line it up and wah-lah! Tucked right in down on the left

Close up. It is actually sitting pretty level but the camera angle makes it seem to be pointing down a little.

I ran out of time to perform a real drive test tonight. I settled for backing the truck up to the trailer, plugging in the trailer cable to the truck and see if the Prodigy sensed the trailer's brake circuit and it did. The controller seemed to function normally so maybe tomorrow I can test drive it.

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Anyone know the proper name for this latch on the trailer? I'd like to see if there is a locking version I could purchase and swap in.

]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan