Ideal expedition vehicle for a trip to South America

Clecio

Hi,

I am planning a trip from Canada to Brazil but I haven't bought the car yet. I am still searching for the better vehicle for this long trip.
I am looking for suggestions and tips about the ideal vehicle, however it has to be at least 30 years old. So, looks like it would be powered by a very low efficiency V8 but it would be fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
why 30 yrs old?
I am sure you have a good reason but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
If you are sticking with the age limit then we are talking 1980 and older...
Well we still need some more info.
How many people?
Any pet?
Do you want to sleep in the rig, on top of the rig (roof tent) or will you hotel/hostel it?
How important is getting way into remote areas off the beaten track (otherwords do you really need 4x4)?
What is your budget?
What is your timeframe before leaving?

I am sure others will have good questions also but this is what we need to know before we can really offer any advice worth hearing.

Clecio

Well, I am thinking to legally import it to Brazil and be able to drive the car down there in the future. It is not allowed importing cars newer, unless is brand new.
I am planning this trip for next year, so I am still have some time;
Just two people, no pets.
I am planning to stay in hotel/hostel but could sleep in the rig also.
I really want a SUV 4x4, some models I have been looking for are: FJ60 (very hard to find a 1981/82 in a good condition), FJ55 (I don't like the 3 gears and drum brakes) G Class (hard to find too), Blazer K5, Wagonner, International Scout and Bronco. I think the Ford and GM will easy to restore and prepare for the trip since is easier and cheaper to get parts.
Thanks,

Djlarroc

full size blazer or bronco is what i was thinking...

easy and cheap to put a brand new fuel injected chevy 350 or ford 302 in there. those are solid engines...

YukonRob

Adventurer
Granted it is not an SUV, but I'd say an older Toyota p/u. The 22re is common world wide so parts would not be a problem, and the darn things just keep on ticking. I had over 300,000 miles on mine when I traded it away, and I sometimes wish I had it back. An added advantage would be that it would not stand out in the crowd down south.

haven

Expedition Leader
In summary, you're looking for
-- an SUV with 4x4 drive
-- manufactured in 1982 or earlier

Suggestions so far include
Ford Bronco
Jeep Wagoneer
International Scout
Chevrolet Blazer
Mercedes Gelandewagen
Toyota Land Cruiser 55 or 60 series
Toyota pickup

Clecio

That is exactly the list of options was thinking. However, must be a SUV, so the Toyota pickup is out. The g class would be great but to hard to find, the fj55 I'm not sure, with just 3 gears and drums breaks maybe will be to hard. Fj60 is my favorite, but again I gave up looking for that, to hard to find. So, between ford, gm, jeep and international what do you think? Any experience with fj55 for long trips?
My budget is $15000 for a good truck for this trip
Thank you

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.974663,-87.908710

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
$15grand will go far for a 30yr old vehicle.

I would say add a Suburban to the list. On top of that I have seen, right here on this forum in fact, nice old K5s or similar with a vintage 4wheel camper or the like on them. That would be a sweet and perfect truck for the trip as well as maybe when you are down there. Reason being, your home goes where ever you do!

For $15k and if you have the time you could easily buy an older truck that is not full of rust and put just about any engine in it you want. Diesel or petrol, fuel injected too. Figure $5k or less for the truck and then $10k for the engine stuff.

Have you thought about finding a solid FJ60 in the USA that is 30yrs old? Then import it to Canada, get it legal and take it south. $15k will buy you one hell of a nice FJ60 and you can find the early 80s ones without to my trouble. An FJ60 is also a great truck to take down there. Yet, as far as I know parts while in Brazil may be tough. Yet, if you establish a good parts source here in N.America before you go you will all set no matter what the Cruiser has in it, ie diesel, v8 or whatever. That goes for other trucks too. Long term living down there your best bet will be to simply buy a local vehicle.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
as the proud new owner of a 70 Suburban I will second the motion of a Chevy Suburban...although I would go with an 80's vintage maybe.
Tons of room inside, parts are dirt cheap and like was mentioned you could get one from the southwest USA so no rust, have it shipped up north to you, completely outfit it and be way underbudget.
Matter of fact I will jump in now and say you could have a great rig for under $10k and just use the rest of the $$ to travel.
Since you are looking to hotel/hostel alot of the time (which makes sense as camping in Central & South America is actually a pain) then a Suburban is perfect or since there is 2 of you a Blazer/Bronco also works well. But I like the 4 doors if you want to carry a passenger or just want easy access to your stuff.
Add a fridge, on board air, water tank/shower setup, storage drawers that double as sleep platform if needed and you are set.
Get the 1/2 ton version and you will have the Chevy 350 which has parts everywhere and any mechanic can work on it.

Most important keep the rig simple and as close to stock as possible, travel as much as possible and just fix what breaks

haven

Expedition Leader
Updated summary
-- an SUV with 4x4 drive
-- manufactured in 1982 or earlier
-- seller somewhere near Chicago
-- overall price no more than $15,000

Original Suggestions
Ford Bronco
Jeep Wagoneer
International Scout
Chevrolet Blazer
Toyota Land Cruiser 60 series
Mercedes Gelandewagen (if price is right)

New suggestions
Chevrolet Suburban
Land Rover Series (price issues)

Suggested and eliminated
Toyota pickup (not a SUV)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior