Ideal expedition vehicle for a trip to South America

Clecio

First of all, thanks everyone for helping deciding the truck to buy for this trip. i kind of stuck with the Blazer/Suburban, it is easy to get, parts cheap and easy to work and fix.
However, I found recently a good deal in a Suburban 4x4 diesel which I wasn't looking for. 't is in a very good shape and it is Diesel. So what you guys think about it, any drawbacks? Something special I should check before make a deal?

By the way, it is a 6.2l, TH400, NP 208, 4.10

Thanks again.

Fleetwood

I i am remembering correctly the 6.2 are vulnerable the cracking heads, so look out for any symptoms that would show this flaw. Water in the oil, over pressurized water system, and i believe if it is putting out alot of white smoke.

Clecio

Everyone,

Thanks for the help.
I finally got the truck for this trip. It is a Suburban 83, 1/2 ton Diesel. It is in a great shape, no rust, 92.000miles.
Now is time to prepare it....IMG_0528.jpgIMG_0529.jpgIMG_0530.jpg

Clecio

Well, I am not sure yet how I will prepare it , but I want to keep it original as much as possible.
First of all, I am checking everything mechanically. I don't have experience with diesels and seems the first thing I have to do is replace the harmonic balancer, mine looks very good but I will replace it anyways. Also, install new water pump, injectors, injector pump, fuel filter, etc.
Second of all, I want replace those original tires. I really want to put 32" or 33" inch tires but I think the gear ratio is too low. I have a TH700 with 3.42. Not sure yet, but I think I might replace both axles. Might be a good idea replace those for 3/4 axles, but I am not sure.
And them I will really prepare the truck for the trip. install a winch, buy a lot of spare parts, a roof tent, etc... I am accepting suggestions!!!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Cecio

when do you plan on leaving? My suggestion would be to leave the truck as stock as possible. You will find great mechanic everywhere down the road - just drive it as it is for a while and replace what's necessary, but don't get crazy. Keep your money and energy for the trip itself.

Clecio

Next year, probably September. I agree. Stock means more reliable. It is kind of easy to get crazy and install/replace a lot of things might not be necessary. Thanks

rblackwell

Adventurer
Clecio, Don't know where you live - but if you are near Colorado I suggest you take a test drive through one of the high passes.

Some of the interesting stuff in South America (Cusco Peru, Uyuni Bolivia) is at high altitude, say 11,000- 13,000 ft.

I am guessing an 83 suburban 6.2 is not a turbo engine. Would be worth knowing in advance how it will handle altitude.

Clecio

I am in Indiana. I agree, it is a good idea having a test drive in Colorado, I am not sure how this Suburban will be in a thin air, it is not a turbo.
I have been to the Andes many times before by motorcycle and car. First time I was riding a Yamaha XT 600 cc, and I was afraid about messing with the carburetor mixture so, top speed was around 25miles/hour at 12.000ft. However, last time I was in a Land Rover Defender 110 with a 2.8 diesel turbo engine as we were able to go up to 90miles/hour at higher than 15.000 ft crossing the Paso de San Francisco, between Argentina and Chile, this is the higher pass at the Andes.
I think I will not install a turbo in this engine, it is not prepared for that and it has already 90.000 miles on the clock. It will be necessary install a complete new turbo engine and it is very expensive for Diesels. I think I will have to live with that and maybe be prepared to adjust the injection pump when get to higher altitudes. Again, it is a great idea test it in Colorado.
Thanks

It will definitely need a Banks turbo. Every 1000ft of elevation you gain you will lose 3% of your power output. So if you go over a 10,000 ft mountain pass you will lose 30% of your power on a naturally aspirated vehicle. In The Andes some of those mountain passes are 16,000 ft, and your 130 hp and 240 ft lbs of torque will feel a lot more like 65hp and 120 ft lbs of torque. If you get the banks Sidewinder Turbo it will help maintain efficiency at high altitudes. You will Be putting out 190 hp and 355 ft lbs of torque no matter what you are altitude at. The turbo will also improve your mpg by about 20%. So, unless you have a turbocharger like your buddy did, you will lose power. You will not even have a chance to pull those high mountain passes with a full load.

You can't just adjust the pump to compensate for a lack of oxygen. To compensate for the thin air you must force air into the cylinders and the only a few ways to do this. Traditionally manufacturers have used a turbocharger or a supercharger to introduce more oxygen into the cylinders. The injection pump only controls the amount of fuel being introduced into the cylinders. To increase output you must increase both the air flow and the fuel delivery. Another way to increase the amount of air being introduced into the cylinders is by adding an intercooler. This cools the hot air that has been compressed by the turbocharger. By cooling the air it becomes more dense and thus more air can enter the cylinder.

Last edited:

Clecio

I agree. A banks turbo would be great. But even with a low mileage engine (92,000) I don't feel comfortable installing a turbo on it. I think I will need a rebuild and more heavy duty 6.2 version or 6.5 to install a turbo on it and that will be very expensive, over $7000.
I was thinking about adjusting the pump to inject less fuel, I mean decreasing the fuel delivery to the cylinders to get closer to the ideal fuel x air ratio in higher altitude and consequently improving a little bit the efficiency. I will be burning less raw fuel and I will have a little more power, I guess.
Well, I did that with gas engines in motorcycles but I am not experienced with Diesels, so I am not sure if it will work
I would love to have a Turbo engine, but it will need to be reliable for this trip and reliable would mean lot of $$$$ unfortunately
Thank you

Erik N

Adventurer
I traveled from San Diego to San Jose back in 1990-1992. My vehicle was a backpack.

It was the perfect solution. Via boat, dumptruck, launcha, pickup, motorhome, or a pie, it was the perfect kit allowing total flexibitity.
A good friend of mine gave me some great advice, true to this day... "remain solvent, keep your options open."

Last edited:

zukrider

Explorer
no need for a roof top tent, sleep in the back. save on fuel consumption and weight. for axles, yes, an upgrade would help, mainly due to the weight of a burb. just find a 3/4 burb set with 4.10's. will be a semi float 14b in the rear, and a 10b front with 3/4 outers. great setup. the 4.10's will pair great to 33's.

add a fridge, lots of recovery, tools, safety gear. then just have some fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan