Ideal expedition vehicle for a trip to South America

Clecio

First of all, I would like to thanks everyone for the tips, sugestions, ideas etc.
Well, I agree. I will add the Suburban to my list, definately.
As far as the Land Rover, I have been thinking about it, but besides the price it has to be Left Hand Drive, otherwise I won´t be able to get a license for it here in Brazil. I am in Brazil right now by the way.
The G Class, would be a great option, but too expensive. Thanks again "haven" for sending the link for a perfect one but unfortunately it is RHD.
The FJ60 would be great, besides I like how it looks like a real "overland", but I have been searching for almost a year, and I couldn´t find a good one for the right price yet.
So, so far I think the best options would be a Suburban or Blazer. Those trucks are easy to restore/prepare for this trip. Any ideas about the best year/model?
Anyways, if somebody knows about any other truck, older than 1982, 4x4, SUV, please send the link to me. I will appreciate it.
Thanks again.

I think the Suburban would be my first choice, but my second choice would be a Jeep CJ-7. Other vehicles that fit the criteria, but would not be high on my list are the S-10 Blazer, Bronco II, CJ-8, Willys Wagon and International Travelall. Another vehicle that you may want to highly consider is a 1970's Dodge 4x4 van. They are out there and they do exist.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader

I agree. If you do not plan to do much off-roading, something like that van is hard to not consider. Hard to beat a van if you want to sleep in the vehicle.

Clecio

If you think the way I do, vehicles of this vintage only have one VIN# located on the dash and finding an older donor VIN# should be really easy. This van is a killer deal and it would make for a sick expedition rig[/QUOTE]

Great! It would be perfect for this expedtion. But what do you mean about the VIN? Does it is not located on other part of the car? Do you know about a newer van?
Thanks

Clecio

I agree. If you do not plan to do much off-roading, something like that van is hard to not consider. Hard to beat a van if you want to sleep in the vehicle.

No, I am not planning to do much off-road. It is just a nice feature to have just in case.

I am not as familiar with GM Vehicles as I am with Mitsubishi's, but Mitsubishi's built in the 1980's only have one VIN and it's located on the dash. On Mitsubishi's it's attached to the bezel which can be swapped out in about one hour. On my 1985 Mitsubishi there is no VIN on the engine block, door jam plate, or frame. I know people have swapped VIN's on there Mitsubishi Pickup when converting from gasoline to a diesel to avoid all the red tape. That one VIN which is pretty easy to access is the only indicator of the year of vehicle other than the door plate and in Utah it is legal to remove the door plate.

Last edited:

texasguy

Just throwing this out there - if you do not plan to do any/much off-road, you may want to consider opening up your options to 2wd vehicles with locker in rear diff and possibly adding a winch. Trust me, as the owner of multiple 4wd vehicles with lifts, large tires, lockers, winches, off-road gear, etc, it's hard for me to make that recommendation ;) .....but sometimes we let the appearance of "an expedition vehicle" override our assessment of our real needs. In fact, a 2wd van with good a/t tires, locker and winch may be a best fit if you are just doing a drive to SA vs. exploring regions "unknown to modern man". There is nothing wrong with staying with a 4x just for the mere fact you want/prefer one - if you must stay with a 4x4, I would second the Blazer/Suburb/Bronco recommendations and even open it up to a truck with camper shell. A bulletproof drivetrain can be found/built for these that will be more than adequate for your needs so I would pick the one that provides the most room and comfort for your travel. I don't have direct experience but I would believe small-block GM and Ford parts are readily available in Brazil as well as respective diffs/trans/etc - it's a pretty global world anymore - hmmmm, is that redundant?

Post when/what you decide.

Any chance you could bring me one of these back with you?

http://carrosantigos.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/picapes-no-brasil/

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I am not as familiar with GM Vehicles as I am with Mitsubishi's, but Mitsubishi's built in the 1980's only have one VIN and it's located on the dash. On Mitsubishi's it's attached to the bezel which can be swapped out in about one hour. On my 1985 Mitsubishi there is no VIN on the engine block, door jam plate, or frame. I know people have swapped VIN's on there Mitsubishi Pickup when converting from gasoline to a diesel to avoid all the red tape. That one VIN which is pretty easy to access is the only indicator of the year of vehicle other than the door plate and in Utah it is legal to remove the door plate.

Careful with that, it is highly illegal in most states. I am not familiar at all with the Mitsu's but it seems very odd to me to have not frame number and no engine number, especially on a vehicle built after 1980. I have had a bunch of very rare Nissan Patrols, only 2616 sold in the USA. They all have a vin number stamped on the frame, a engine number as well as a vin plate with these numbers. I have also never seen a vin plate that was not riveted on from the factory.

Having said all that, I have driven to Panama and back 2x and also had many 4wd trucks. Never once have I had a local sherriff or a border official in Latin America inspect anything other then the vin plate. Once or twice I have had at the El Salvador border the official ask about and want to see the engie number. However, when I said it is right there in the engine bay, have a look they decided it was not worth their time to look under my hood. One lady did actually make me lift my hood but she never leaned in enough to get the engine number, she was just being a hard ********.

What you do IMHO is your business but be careful what you suggest other people do on a public forum.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's another example, perhaps a little too new for importation to Brazil
http://battlecreek.craigslist.org/cto/2753664114.html

"There were many companies doing conversions."

In the 1970s, lots of USA companies converted vans into campers. Very few modified the van's stock rear wheel drive into 4x4. If you know of a 4x4 conversion firm (other than Pathfinder and Quigley) that was in business in 1980 and worked on vans, please post!

Searching online, it appears that Sportsmobile started offering the option of using a Quigley 4x4 van in 1989. Sportsmobile developed their own 4x4 conversion in 2003.

Clecio

Just throwing this out there - if you do not plan to do any/much off-road, you may want to consider opening up your options to 2wd vehicles with locker in rear diff and possibly adding a winch. Trust me, as the owner of multiple 4wd vehicles with lifts, large tires, lockers, winches, off-road gear, etc, it's hard for me to make that recommendation ;) .....but sometimes we let the appearance of "an expedition vehicle" override our assessment of our real needs. In fact, a 2wd van with good a/t tires, locker and winch may be a best fit if you are just doing a drive to SA vs. exploring regions "unknown to modern man". There is nothing wrong with staying with a 4x just for the mere fact you want/prefer one - if you must stay with a 4x4, I would second the Blazer/Suburb/Bronco recommendations and even open it up to a truck with camper shell. A bulletproof drivetrain can be found/built for these that will be more than adequate for your needs so I would pick the one that provides the most room and comfort for your travel. I don't have direct experience but I would believe small-block GM and Ford parts are readily available in Brazil as well as respective diffs/trans/etc - it's a pretty global world anymore - hmmmm, is that redundant?

Post when/what you decide.

Any chance you could bring me one of these back with you?

http://carrosantigos.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/picapes-no-brasil/

Thanks.
Well, parts for those trucks (Ford, GM) are not easy to get in Brazil as here in US but it wouldn´t be a problem.
Nice trucks from the link you sent, http://carrosantigos.wordpress.com/2...pes-no-brasil/
But Iam sorry, I have never seen those trucks in Brazil. They are prety rare, I guess. As a matter of fact, the car industry in Brazil are very small if compared with US. Probably in the 60´s for 100 cars produced in US problably just one were produced in Brazil. It is very hard to find 60´s models in a good shape nowadays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan