is the 1st gen tundra one of the best platforms

dirtnsmores

Anyone here still running a 1st gen tundra? Still have my 2wd Tacoma but it's feeling cramped with my family of 4 on long trips.

WASURF63

Adventurer
Love the 1st Gen Tundra (and Sequoia)! We've had a couple of each over the years. No significant problems with ANY of them. :)

Attachments

• MM100_0724.JPG
    MM100_0724.JPG
    415.8 KB · Views: 32
  • MM100_0886.JPG
    MM100_0886.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 26
  • P1 100_5048.jpg
    P1 100_5048.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 28
  • P4 100_5082.jpg
    P4 100_5082.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190501_125131.jpg
    20190501_125131.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3682.jpg
    IMG_3682.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 32

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
Running an 06 quad cab. Great for our family of 3 plus dog. Would fit a family of 4 just fine.
04fad566f69d74b2ee587d687a6901be.jpg

I switched to a flatbed, because I could, but it’s been perfect for what we do.
Maintenance at intervals, and it’s been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtnsmores

Just coming back to say... I finally found a first gen Tundra double cab and my DCLB Tacoma is up for sale! This is exactly what I was hoping it would be... more space for the family, more power, 4x4 (my tacoma was 2wd), and a slightly bigger bed. Going to put an OVRLND camper on the back of this!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 43

Baller

I wish mine was a double cab instead of a access cab. I hope you start a build thread. I absolutely love my truck. Hopefully it gets some love soon.
Have you ever driven a DC? A lot of people claim these first gens are 3/4 full size pickups. The DCs are very much a full size pickup. The regular and access cabs are much more deserving of the 3/4 full size claim. Maybe that's what you're looking for. I've got a DC and, here in the PNW, many times, would love to have a little smaller rig. Just FYI. When I was shopping for a first gen, I really liked the idea of a 3/4 full size. Found a nice DC but have always wanted something smaller.

Baller

Love the 1st Gen Tundra (and Sequoia)! We've had a couple of each over the years. No significant problems with ANY of them. :)
Looks like you'd be a great guy to talk to about the difference in size between the DC and AC. Did you find that there was a significant difference or was it really nothing? Nice rigs, by the way.

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
The only complaint I have with the DC is the turning radius. It like driving the QE2. As far as the narrow comment, i would say it’s a 3/4 full size truck especially when compared to today’s vehicles. It’s almost the same exterior dimensions as a Tacoma. I compared my 06 tundra DC with flippac to my friends power wagon with FWC. I’d much rather drive mine down trails.

phsycle

Adventurer
The only complaint I have with the DC is the turning radius. It like driving the QE2. As far as the narrow comment, i would say it’s a 3/4 full size truck especially when compared to today’s vehicles. It’s almost the same exterior dimensions as a Tacoma. I compared my 06 tundra DC with flippac to my friends power wagon with FWC. I’d much rather drive mine down trails.

2005 Tundra width (without mirrors): 79.7”
2020 Powerwagon width: 79.1”

The PW is certainly longer and taller, so maybe that’s throwing your perception off.

Regardless, the 1st Gen is not a tweener - it’s a full-size truck.

bkg

Explorer
2005 Tundra width (without mirrors): 79.7”
2020 Powerwagon width: 79.1”

The PW is certainly longer and taller, so maybe that’s throwing your perception off.

Regardless, the 1st Gen is not a tweener - it’s a full-size truck.
Having owned 4 1st gens, I was about to call fowl on the width. But according to edmunds, you are correct.

Measure w/o the massive flares, and I bet the numbers are much different. Shoot, according to Edmonds, the first gen is .2” narrower than the 2nd gen tundra. No way.

Compare shoulder room and hip room. You’ll see major differences in size. Same on track width.

tacollie

Glamper
1st access cab without flares is 75.2". To get the the 1st Gen to the 79" it needs the fender flares. I think track width is also a tad narrower. The first Gen is more like a 7/8 full size.

Reactions: bkg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior