is the 1st gen tundra one of the best platforms

The Artisan

Adventurer
Love my 03 AC. I plan to remove the bed and replace it with a frp composite pod hard side poptopper. 8 X 5 X 4 pops up to 8. Should only add less than 150lbs once bed is replaced
Kevin

Attachments

• 20230922_122141.jpg
    20230922_122141.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19

phsycle

Adventurer
Having owned 4 1st gens, I was about to call fowl on the width. But according to edmunds, you are correct.

Measure w/o the massive flares, and I bet the numbers are much different. Shoot, according to Edmonds, the first gen is .2” narrower than the 2nd gen tundra. No way.

Compare shoulder room and hip room. You’ll see major differences in size. Same on track width.

I’m sure they’re slightly narrower than 2nd gen and current trucks. Then again, the full-size trucks back then seemed like they were all narrower than today’s trucks as well.

But back to 1st gen’s, I don’t know if I’ve been on a trail where a 1st gen would fit while a current full-size wouldn’t. Perhaps there is. I just haven’t experienced it personally.

WASURF63

Adventurer
Looks like you'd be a great guy to talk to about the difference in size between the DC and AC. Did you find that there was a significant difference or was it really nothing? Nice rigs, by the way.
Thanks!
AC wins on turning radius for sure, but not a whole lot of back seat space for growing kids or a dog.
DC wins for second row roominess and forward swinging doors. The AC rear swinging doors are a PITA to put it bluntly.

timesinfinity

I love these trucks! I inheritted mine as a very beat up work truck of my father's when he passed and decided I'd make it into a surf/adventure mobile and more properly learn how to wrench on stuff. Killer vehicle for that. Was lucky enough to have had the frame warrantied before I took it over. My brother owns a 2.5 gen and, while wayyy better for towing, and a great all around rig, it's sooo much bigger. Love how nimble this thing is for its size. If I were to do it again from scratch with a first gen I'd want a regular cab 4x4, but theyre so hard to find.

Attachments

• IMG_9112.jpg
    IMG_9112.jpg
    987.8 KB · Views: 16

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I love these trucks! I inheritted mine as a very beat up work truck of my father's when he passed and decided I'd make it into a surf/adventure mobile and more properly learn how to wrench on stuff. Killer vehicle for that. Was lucky enough to have had the frame warrantied before I took it over. My brother owns a 2.5 gen and, while wayyy better for towing, and a great all around rig, it's sooo much bigger. Love how nimble this thing is for its size. If I were to do it again from scratch with a first gen I'd want a regular cab 4x4, but theyre so hard to find.
I have a 2.5 Gen Tundra and a 1st Gen Sequoia (03 Tundra in the past), and I agree 100% that the size and nimbleness of the 1st gens is fantastic. I also find the 1st Gen more comfortable than the 2.5 as well. We did a trip through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Utah this fall, and took the ‘03 SR5 over the ‘19 Platinum due solely to the comfort level. The Japanese designed trucks are just more comfortable. The ‘19 Tundra is however a beast in the towing department. It feels closer to a 3/4 ton.

beef tits

is the 1st gen tundra one of the best platforms​

No, far from it.

Is it a great truck? Yes.... The only truck I would say is marginally better is the 2nd gen Tundra with a 5.7. 3rd gen Tundra is just a bloated pig with more lipstick.

"Best Platform"? presumably for overlanding? Hell no, not even close.

The aftermarket for a 1st gen tundra is abysmal. I've owned a few, again... great trucks for doing truck things. Simple lift? Bigger tires? Sure. Best platform for over-landing? Nah.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
No, far from it.

Is it a great truck? Yes.... The only truck I would say is marginally better is the 2nd gen Tundra with a 5.7. 3rd gen Tundra is just a bloated pig with more lipstick.

The aftermarket for a 1st gen tundra is abysmal. I've owned a few, again... great trucks for doing truck things. Simple lift? Bigger tires? Sure. Best platform for over-landing? Nah.

You don't need the aftermarket if the manufacturer made it the best platform already. :p

Kpack

Adventurer
No, far from it.

I said it earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again here. The 1st gen Tundra is a great all-around truck. It's good at doing many things, but not great at any one thing. Good at "truck stuff" like you said....hauling, normal driving, some offroad, etc. It can tow, but it can't tow a lot. It can wheel (with some good modifications), but it can't wheel nearly as well as other vehicles. It rides nice, but gets poor gas mileage. It has some power, but far less than other trucks. So I consider a jack of all trades. It can do a little of everything but is not stellar in any one category.

Aftermarket support has improved but is nothing like what is available for the Tacoma or 4R. But it's way better now than when I first got my truck.

Overall still love my 1st gen, even without bedsides. If this truck ever dies I will replace it with another 1st gen.
Trimming blends in.jpg

01tundra

Explorer
I sure wish I would've kept my '01......

EuOBOsS.jpg

Last edited:

Baller

I said it earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again here. The 1st gen Tundra is a great all-around truck. It's good at doing many things, but not great at any one thing. Good at "truck stuff" like you said....hauling, normal driving, some offroad, etc. It can tow, but it can't tow a lot. It can wheel (with some good modifications), but it can't wheel nearly as well as other vehicles. It rides nice, but gets poor gas mileage. It has some power, but far less than other trucks. So I consider a jack of all trades. It can do a little of everything but is not stellar in any one category.

Aftermarket support has improved but is nothing like what is available for the Tacoma or 4R. But it's way better now than when I first got my truck.

Overall still love my 1st gen, even without bedsides. If this truck ever dies I will replace it with another 1st gen.
View attachment 823974

While I'll agree with most of this, I'll staunchly disagree with the statement that these 1stGens aren't stellar in any one category. Their reliability and longevity are absolutely stellar.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and gets to get out and enjoy their 1stGen.

ThundahBeagle

That's funny to read you hate the column shifter. I am the opposite, console shifters feel like cars to me for some reason.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I'm not driving a Tundra - or a Tacoma for that matter- but I love my Sierra's column shifter. You never need to lose contact with the steering wheel to use it, and can 3-point turn with one hand. Doesnt take up space in the console area (like a car, as someone else said), and isnt a dial, where if Barry Manilow popped onto the radio, and I (obviously) went to change the station, I wouldnt accidentally be in reverse.

Kpack

Adventurer
While I'll agree with most of this, I'll staunchly disagree with the statement that these 1stGens aren't stellar in any one category. Their reliability and longevity are absolutely stellar.

You are correct. The categories I was considering were more "things you do with a truck". Reliability and longevity are excellent on these. I'm currently 250k miles and the engine is bulletproof. Overall maintenance is minimal and easy to do. The only problem I've had is still chasing a leaking rear axle seal (been replaced 3 times) due to replacing a rear axle after an accident. Other than that it's been golden.

beef tits

Reliability isn't a category we were debating. We're in a Toyota/Lexus sub-forum...

While we are on the topic though, I do find it humorous that Toyota not only managed to build the most reliable truck ever, but they built it right here in the US utilizing non-UAW labor. I'm not anti-union, but those clowns had been building nothing but complete garbage for decades when the Tundra began production in 1999, and it took the big three another decade to get a fraction as reliable.

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Reliability isn't a category we were debating. We're in a Toyota/Lexus sub-forum...

While we are on the topic though, I do find it humorous that Toyota not only managed to build the most reliable truck ever, but they built it right here in the US utilizing non-UAW labor. I'm not anti-union, but those clowns had been building nothing but complete garbage for decades when the Tundra began production in 1999, and it took the big three another decade to get a fraction as reliable.
May have been non UAW labor, but if the most recent UAW strikes, settlements and SUBSEQUENT raises given by Toyota, Honda and Nissan show us anything, those folks at Toyota got paid what they got paid BECAUSE of the UAW influence. They just wait for UAW to settle then pay thier people what they think they need to in order to retain them. So. It's not Union, but its because of a Union...

While I would also never debate Toyota's overall reliability, I'd have to say Honda is just as good, but got thier start in the US with motorcycles, so they just dont get the same respect. Even when faulty accelerators were killing people in Toyotas, the fan base would not turn. Nor with the rusted truck frames, some of which actually broke. That speaks volumes to the faith.

But the GMT 400 series truck, and the GMT 800 series trucks - those 5.7 liters, and the Vorteks that came after them? Very reliable. Good solid trucks. And if I am not wrong g, Toyota eventually adopted a version of a 5.7 for the Tundra and Sequoia.

Something to be said there, is all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior