is the 1st gen tundra one of the best platforms

beef tits

Honda doesn’t make trucks, they barely make SUVs.

The GM 350 is okay, the trucks they go in are mostly garbage.

ThundahBeagle

True about Honda.

Disagree about the GM trucks being mostly garbage, but...this IS a Toyota thread, so I get it.

I've long heard the idea that the 1st gen Tundras are sought after. Wouldnt mind trying one out and even a T-100 just to see what its like

Tundra_Dude

I've owned mine since 03 and it has been a solid truck with the basic maintenance the first gen needs. Back when it was new, there were only a few companies producing parts for them; Total Chaos and Camburg being the big two. As the Toyota's started getting bloated in size and price, they have been getting popular these last few years I think. As someone that has seen the aftermarket grow for them over the years, they are a great platform to start with. Now... not when they were new though.

Our Tundra has been through many stages of its life from being a stock-ish truck, to now being built as a purpose built family adventure rig. Glad more companies are making parts for the first gen!

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Extra1.jpg
    Extra1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • Extra2.jpg
    Extra2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

beef tits

The pinnacle of perfect truck to me is an 01-04 Tundra SR5 long bed, reg cab, 4x4 v8, automatic, in white. I had one with 330k on it. It’s the only vehicle in a long list that I regret selling.

borison

Adventurer

The GM 350 is okay, the trucks they go in are mostly garbage.Honda

Not to derail this thread, but Honda makes the Ridgeline which is sold as a truck. It’s even got an open bed. They make a couple of SUVs too. They have the Pilot, Passport and CRV. It’s easy to miss, but I saw them at the Honda dealer the other day.

beef tits

Not to derail this thread, but Honda makes the Ridgeline which is sold as a truck. It’s even got an open bed. They make a couple of SUVs too. They have the Pilot, Passport and CRV. It’s easy to miss, but I saw them at the Honda dealer the other day.
All the above are unibody. Like I said, they don’t make trucks and they barely make SUVs.

ThundahBeagle

I've owned a number of Honda cars and they were all great - '89 CRX, '94 Accord, '06 Civic si...all standard shift and did me well.

I've seen the Ridgeline ( both gens ) and known many people with CRV's.

I think @beef tits Is saying that in the truly USA sense, the Ridgelines barely qualify as trucks (though maybe as midsize but have no chance of taking significant market share), early honda SUV'S like the OG Passport weren't even made by Honda (Isuzu engine in a platform shared by 3 makers), the CRV has never really been rugged, and their new batch of SUVS like the Pilot and new Passport are more elegant people movers that are as much minivans as SUV'S.

Personally, if I had to drive cross country on urgent business, automotive failure was not an option, fuel efficiency was important, i was NOT towing 6,000 pounds or hauling 1000 pounds...I'd be comfortable choosing any of the current gen, above-mentioned Hondas over nearly anything else out there.

But they are just not heavy duty machines

borison

Adventurer
All the above are unibody. Like I said, they don’t make trucks and they barely make SUVs.
If there’s one constant on the internet- say something stupid and stupid people will comment. Lol, keep on trucking! I was just pointing out how ridiculous people sound when they interchange the use of their opinion for fact.

bkg

Explorer

so the Jeep Comanche isn't considered a pickup? The Subaru Brat... the Ford Maverick... Cyber Truck. El Camino...

I wasn't aware that being a unibody disqualified something as a pickup.

ThundahBeagle

so the Jeep Comanche isn't considered a pickup? The Subaru Brat... the Ford Maverick... Cyber Truck. El Camino...

I wasn't aware that being a unibody disqualified something as a pickup.
Driving down the road today I thought about the venerable Jeep Cherokee XJ. Aside from the CJ/ Wrangler platform, has Jeep ever had a more capable and successful platform? That was unibody.

Not for nothing, but so was the ZJ first generation Grand Cherokee, which was originally slated to be the replacement for the XJ. The WJ wasnt all that bad either if you strengthened that odd triangularupper rear control arm.

Someone mentioned the Comanche.

I'd have to agree there have been some pretty good unibody SUVs over the years.

beef tits

Yes, we're talking about trucks in the American sense. Comparing a Honda Ridgeline to a Tundra is silly and your scruples are questionable at best. Having exterior cargo space does not make a vehicle a truck in the American sense. The Ridgeline is closer to a Highlander with a big open trunk that you can't close.

Hondas are great vehicles. Toyota sets a high bar, Honda is close in reliability/longevity if not slightly better, frankly. However, aside from a Corolla vs Civic or Accord vs Camry.... there isn't much else to compare. Honda does not sell a vehicle in the US that is comparable to a Tundra or a 4Runner, and that is a fact.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Yes, we're talking about trucks in the American sense. Comparing a Honda Ridgeline to a Tundra is silly and your scruples are questionable at best. Having exterior cargo space does not make a vehicle a truck in the American sense. The Ridgeline is closer to a Highlander with a big open trunk that you can't close.

Hondas are great vehicles. Toyota sets a high bar, Honda is close in reliability/longevity if not slightly better, frankly. However, aside from a Corolla vs Civic or Accord vs Camry.... there isn't much else to compare. Honda does not sell a vehicle in the US that is comparable to a Tundra or a 4Runner, and that is a fact.

so unless we agree with you, our scruples are questionable?

Bold move...

5 days in DV and did all the fun stuff, my new rad flow 2.5’s for the rear arrived just time and the truck performed beautifully. So stoked on my rig!
Trip looks amazing. Glad to hear everything performed to your liking. Would love to see some more pics. Definitely on my list of trips with my Tundra

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior