Is the TRD 3" Suspension Lift Kit for a 2024 Tundra sufficient for an Alu cabin build?

hdas

I'm buying a new 2024 Tundra. I want to install an Alu-cabin (around 550 pounds, no water, no equipment, no cabinets). I'm facing the following dilemma:

1. It seems that I need to upgrade the suspension.
2. I don't want to void the warranty.

The suspension Lift Kit offered by Toyota seems to solve this problem, but is it sufficient?

Thanks a lot!

Information from the website:

The new TRD Lift Kit offers a 3" lift in the front and a 2" lift in the back, providing 2.6” of additional ground clearance overall.

• Increased suspension stroke to support lift and aid in off-road performance & on-road stability

• Toyota Safety Sense 2.5 compliant

• Bilstein-Tuned Front & Rear Shock Absorbers

• Forged Steel Upper Control Arms by Roush

• Eye-Catching TRD Red Front Coil Springs

Toyota recommends the use of OEM wheels and tires. Tires larger than 285/65R20 may cause rubbing/contact to surrounding parts. The Toyota TRD Lift Kit is designed to be used with OEM wheels and tire sizes. Tires and wheel combinations larger than OEM sizes may void the vehicle's warranty.

Last edited:

Hummelator

Adventurer
Why would you NEED to upgrade the suspension? Even if you maxed out your payload capacity, you wouldn't be rubbing tires or anything

hdas

Why would you NEED to upgrade the suspension? Even if you maxed out your payload capacity, you wouldn't be rubbing tires or anything
My assumption is that the truck will handle differently in off road terrain with 700-800 lbs on top than without. Am I mistaken?

(none)

Adventurer
Well...the kit re-uses the stock rear springs i believe.

Oh, and the TRD skidplate (if you have one) no longer fits with the lift installed. The kit also included blanks to remove the factory fog lights.

tacollie

Glamper
Have you talked to the dealer installing the Alu-cabin? There are plenty of 3rd Gen Tundras with them at this point. There will be plenty of options for managing the weight.

I would get the Alu-cabin installed then assess the situation. It's not enough weight to be dangerous but it is weight you will notice it. If you truck has the AVS you may not need to do anything. Otherwise you will probably want heavier rated coils and I doubt Toyota offers any.

You will only void the warranty related to the parts you replace. It won't void the entire warranty.

hdas

You will only void the warranty related to the parts you replace. It won't void the entire warranty.
This is key. Will try to get confirmation from the dealer. However there are reports online talking about this issue, where transmission damage warranty was voided because their integration with suspension modifications.

Have you talked to the dealer installing the Alu-cabin?
I will. It just feels weird in the sense that they do have an interest in selling you more stuff. In my preliminary conversations, they express a strong bias against the OEM parts, which of course fits their business model.
If you truck has the AVS
What is the AVS?
Oh, and the TRD skidplate (if you have one) no longer fits with the lift installed
Really?. It seems weird for 2024 given that they offer the TRD package (plate included) with the 3" lift...together!. Will enquire.

Last edited:

Flyelk1

I have the Alu Cabin on my 2016 Tundra. Warranty wasn’t an issue for me, so I just upgraded to the Alcan spring pack, and the 6112’s up front. Rides great and haven’t given it a second thought.

Weight wise, with full fuel, three people, and water, I am about 200 lbs below axle weight ratings. And that is with the bed built out. Love the set up!

tacollie

Glamper
@hdas The dealer would have to prove any aftermarket product led directly to the failure of an item to deny warranty.

AVS is the adaptive variable suspension on the higher trim trucks. It includes air suspension in the rear to level for loads.

Sure the dealer will want to upsell you. So will Toyota. When we bought our four-wheel camper and put it on a Tundra Juniper Overland gave us a whole list of suspension options for us ranging from $300 to $6,500. It's the only give you the $6,500 option I would look for a different option 🤣

hdas

When we bought our four-wheel camper and put it on a Tundra Juniper Overland
I'm in Colorado. Do you recommend working with them?.

Juniper Overland gave us a whole list of suspension options for us ranging from $300 to $6,500
This is interesting. That's a big range. I would think that given a set of specifications of weight and road conditions, the optimal setup would be more or less clear. Could you expand on how you made your decision?
AVS is the adaptive variable suspension on the higher trim trucks
Yeah, for Platinum and 1794. I'm getting a Limited.

Here's an article detailing the different levels of Toyota suspension

tacollie

Glamper
I'm in Colorado. Do you recommend working with them?.
They treated me good. They are Toyota enthusiast. A buddy just had a bunch of work done to his truck by Off-grid in Frederick and he is really happy with the experience. Where are you in Colorado?

rruff

Explorer
My assumption is that the truck will handle differently in off road terrain with 700-800 lbs on top than without. Am I mistaken?
Yes, it will. Whether you have a lift or suspension upgrade or not. You don't need to change anything just to accommodate that amount of weight.

The weight will be on the rear axle, which sits higher than the front by a couple inches. My guess is that it will still be higher with the load.

For $4k I'd want some damn good suspension... which I'm pretty sure this isn't. If it was me, and I wanted to burn that kind of money, I'd get something like Fox 2.5s or BP-51s and a 1.5-2" lift in the front and stiffer springs for the rear... along with bigger tires. For details check Tundras.com to see what others have done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior