Is the TRD 3" Suspension Lift Kit for a 2024 Tundra sufficient for an Alu cabin build?

hdas

It doesn't list an increase in load carrying capacity

Thanks. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the load carrying capacity is fixed at max payload and any suspension upgrade is just trying to smooth the ride.

As an aside:

The pamphlet says: "Bilstein Tuned Front and Rear Shocks", its not clear how are these different from the shocks that come with the TRD package. The other thing that really sucks is that the TRD package gives you stupid 20" wheels, instead of the TRD Pro 18". I don't know why they don't do this.

I have a few questions about the aftermarket lift kits:

1. Are they compatible with Toyota Safety Sense?
2. Do they work with active cruise control?

I can see the argument where one might say that the dealers want to capture the $$$ for these modifications. But on the other side, the warranty, compatibility, and trust on a OEM part can't be discounted.

tundra kit.png

rruff

Explorer
Can you please elaborate on why you think the Toyota kit is not a good option?
I didn't see any details but they sounded similar to the Bilsteins they put on earlier Pros, which were not adjustable for height or damping, unlike higher tier aftermarket shocks. You can also get aftermarket shocks with custom damping from the start. In addition, I think a 3" lift is excessive for IFS, and will wear front end components faster. 2" is plenty... plus at 2" you won't need UCAs, just use the stock ones, nor a rear lift to make it level.

If you can find details on those shocks, I'd be curious. I might be generous in stating they are similar to the ones installed on the old Pros, they could be a significant downgrade.

EDIT: Just watched the video. Hell no! These are skinny shocks with no reservoir! Total joke.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
Thanks. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the load carrying capacity is fixed at max payload and any suspension upgrade is just trying to smooth the ride.

As an aside:

The pamphlet says: "Bilstein Tuned Front and Rear Shocks", its not clear how are these different from the shocks that come with the TRD package. The other thing that really sucks is that the TRD package gives you stupid 20" wheels, instead of the TRD Pro 18". I don't know why they don't do this.

I have a few questions about the aftermarket lift kits:

1. Are they compatible with Toyota Safety Sense?
2. Do they work with active cruise control?

I can see the argument where one might say that the dealers want to capture the $$$ for these modifications. But on the other side, the warranty, compatibility, and trust on a OEM part can't be discounted.

View attachment 796948
The payload rating is set by the manufacturer. The factory springs can carry that load but will see diminished performance. The rear end was sag and be more prone to bottoming out. Carrying that weight all the time will wear out the factory springs faster. You want to find a spring that's designed to carry 700 lb consistently to support camper. I highly doubt Toyota is going to have anything that will do that.

Something like this kit will be better because you can get heavier duty rear springs.

rruff

Explorer
Here's a reference article regarding Reservoir Shocks.
Yes, even if you decide you don't need the reservoirs or adjustable height and damping, a set of 4 skinny non-reservoir, non adjustable damping, but lift adjustable shocks... will set you back <$1000. They will perform just as well and probably better than the Toyota kit that costs $4k.

If you want heavier rear springs, that will cost a little more, but the Toyota kit doesn't have them either.

hdas

Yes, even if you decide you don't need the reservoirs or adjustable height and damping, a set of 4 skinny non-reservoir, non adjustable damping, but lift adjustable shocks... will set you back <$1000. They will perform just as well and probably better than the Toyota kit that costs $4k.

If you want heavier rear springs, that will cost a little more, but the Toyota kit doesn't have them either.

It seems that you are paying $4k for the TRD research, reliability, warranty.
The payload rating is set by the manufacturer. The factory springs can carry that load but will see diminished performance. The rear end was sag and be more prone to bottoming out. Carrying that weight all the time will wear out the factory springs faster. You want to find a spring that's designed to carry 700 lb consistently to support camper. I highly doubt Toyota is going to have anything that will do that.

Something like this kit will be better because you can get heavier duty rear springs.

Thanks for the link. How do you reconcile that the TRD people recommends 3F -2R lift as "optimal"?

Additionally, the Toyota kit seems to include a whole set of nuts and little parts and I don't see anything like that in the aftermarket kits (like the one you linked)

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
How do you reconcile that the TRD people recommends 3F -2R lift as "optimal", and the Dobinson Kit is 2F, 2R. Wouldn't you think the TRD people have some insight knowledge about this and the integration to the Truck?. I'm genuinely curious....
It's intended to confuse people who are ignorant of suspension, so you will give them $$$. You don't need *any* lift... but you might as well do <2" on the front if you are getting new shocks. And on the rear you don't need to lift it, just get springs that will retain stock ride height with your load... or a little more if you wish.

hdas

It's intended to confuse people who are ignorant of suspension, so you will give them $$$.
I'm sympathetic to this view. But aftermarket ppl are not Angels. Let's assume one "wants" a lift, in order to fit bigger tires, increase clearance a bit. It's difficult to trust aftermarket merchants and discount the position of Toyota - TRD people.

Quoting the pamphlet:

“Although, there are many compromises with aftermarket lift kits,” Mikhal says. “We don’t have those compromises here. We made sure that at the lifted height, we’re back to the original driving dynamics so it doesn’t feel like a tall truck with a high center of gravity. We also ensure the 3” TRD Lift Kit works with all Toyota Tundra features, such as active cruise control.”

"The 3” TRD Lift Kit has been thoroughly vetted and put to the test to meet or exceed Toyota’s safety and quality standards. It’s the only kit validated to be compatible with Toyota Safety Sense (TSS). So, go ahead and push the limits. TRD engineers used computer simulations and on-road testing to make tweaks and crash tests to make sure everything is compliant."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the tires they recommend:

1695058220813.png

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The factory lift does some things and aftermarket lift will not- keeps the geometry corrects, etc. I agree the shocks are crappy for the money though.

rruff

Explorer
This thread or others might be more informative: https://www.tundras.com/threads/3rd-gen-suspension-lift-mega-thread.108483/page-48

People have installed 35" tires with no lift and no rub. I did that even on the previous generation which has less clearance. Just need to think before you buy; offset is important. If you want it to ride and drive like a stock truck, then leave it stock. Besides a 2" front lift I have Ironman FCPros and I much prefer the ride... it's firmer with much better control and handling, on and off road.

Do you want bigger tires? What exactly do you want to achieve?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior