ITTOG's Truck Camper Build (was 6' x 12' Trailer Conversion)

ITTOG

Maybe just use your push pin clips to hold both the luan and foam? Not sure if they are long enough. I used black screws to hold my carpeted luan to the walls. I wanted to remove my luan also, to do wiring in the future.

View attachment 813467
I may have to but for now I am trying to ensure there is no exposed metal inside the camper. I am hoping to create a thermal break with the insulation.

ITTOG

Time: 8 hours
Total Time to Date: 455 hours
Rework: 0 hours
Total Rework to Date: 92 hours (not part of time above)
Current Weight: To be weighed, but I estimate at least 785 pounds

With most of the exterior work complete it was time to order the gas struts for my door. I had been putting it off because I was not finding anything with specifications similar to what I needed. The primary issue is that my door opens past 90° and you can see in the form below that was never the intention. I searched numerous sites and was not able to find anything. Finally I gave up and contacted the company I bought my roof struts from and they said it wasn't a problem and asked me to fill out their form.
2024-02-09 07_43_43-Clipboard.jpg

Given the form did not account for my design I drew it on another page and provided the relevant angles and weight.
2024-02-09 07_44_52-Clipboard.jpg

After a couple days I received a link to the struts I needed to order with a lifting force 133 LB force each. You may be thinking “but the door only weighs 50 lbs”. The extra force is required because the attachment point on the door is so close to the hinge. The further the attachment point is away from the hinge the lower the required lifting force.
2024-02-09 07_45_43-Clipboard.jpg

It was a busy January but none of it was spent on the camper. With a camping trip coming up I wanted to finish the outside so I got busy. But first, I always wanted a wood working block set, as seen in the picture, but would not spend the money on it. Finally I decided to put it on my Christmas list. I should have bought these years ago because they were a tremendous help. So if you are on the fence then jump off on the buy side.
PXL_20240204_174330035.jpg

The first step to install the gas struts is to weld the mounts on. The door mounts are 5 inches from the hinge. Unfortunately the mounts were coated in zinc and even after removing the zinc the weld quality sucked. The welds were very porous and I had to redo some of it.
PXL_20240204_174343631.jpg

The mounts on the camper we're backwards from my installation. Therefore I cut the mountsand welded them back on the opposite side.
PXL_20240204_174355678.jpg

The mounts welded on the door.
PXL_20240205_002130188.jpg

Continued below....

ITTOG

The first time the door was ever held open by the door struts. It was an exciting moment for me. Below are more pictures than you probably want to see.
PXL_20240205_225235955.jpg

PXL_20240205_225250348.jpg

PXL_20240205_225308634.jpg

PXL_20240205_225429398.jpg

PXL_20240205_225446763.jpg

I also had to install the final two pieces of trim. These pieces go right above the truck bed rails and hide the corner where the ACM and fiberglass meet. As with past trim I installed it using VHB tape and Sikaflex 252. Then I caught the seams with 3M 4000 UV.
PXL_20240208_224822997.jpg

That completed the exterior of the camper. Any changes at this point would be version changes, ie 1.1, 1.2, etc. Thus, all remaining work will be on the inside. The only thing I will do this year will be to finish the foam insulation install. After using for a year I will develop what I want to install inside. At this time I think I only want to install a counter with a sink. Everything else would be removable.PXL_20240209_000956879.jpg

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I love the ToPo map wraps. Adv. Medics, has all their rigs wrapped like that. And our business cards as well. Those rigs had a hard life, and the wraps had about a 5 year shelf life.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I'd go with the topo map. The bear with the gun is one of the most juvenile things
I've seen as a wrap! But, then, 12 to 16 year old boys might think it was really badazzzz.

As to carpet on ply, 3M clear glue does the trick and keeps auto/indoor-outdoor carpet on walls for years. I saw my old '84 Dodge van last week and the owner didn't change a thing, carpet is still up in good condition.

Very nice build, I think keeping it modular and removable inside is a good idea.

ITTOG

While I think most of those are cool, I know I would tire of the picture look. For the most part I want it to be subtle so I have requested changes and received them and these are what I am leaning towards.

This would be on the drivers side, as is.
Side Proof 7 copy.jpg

I am leaning towards this one for the passenger side. I will ask him to make the white, less white so it matches the topo map color and isn't so bright. My wife thinks the sides should match. Not sure I agree. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Side Proof 8 copy.jpg

I am leaning towards this one on the back. I can't decide if I want to keep the bear or not. My wife states it should be a deer since I like to see them in the wild and I am taking this hunting. I offered I could put the deer in the bears mouth! I hope no redneck sees this and thinks a bear is coming out of the camper and shoots it. I am also a little concerned I will tire of the bear.
Back proof 1 copy.jpg

ITTOG

The bear with the rifle. Is there even a question?

For the side, I kinda like the map.

What about having it wrapped to match the truck?
Matching the red is almost impossible due to the paint actually being sprayed with two different colors. Also, I don't want too much red. I am thinking about a 1" red strip though. This small you may not notice the color difference.

I love the ToPo map wraps. Adv. Medics, has all their rigs wrapped like that. And our business cards as well. Those rigs had a hard life, and the wraps had about a 5 year shelf life.
Me too. The thicker lines are the trails we ride. Can't decide if I want to leave them on it.
I'd go with the topo map. The bear with the gun is one of the most juvenile things
I've seen as a wrap! But, then, 12 to 16 year old boys might think it was really badazzzz.

As to carpet on ply, 3M clear glue does the trick and keeps auto/indoor-outdoor carpet on walls for years. I saw my old '84 Dodge van last week and the owner didn't change a thing, carpet is still up in good condition.

Very nice build, I think keeping it modular and removable inside is a good idea.
I agree on the juvenile comment in the long haul. Cool up front but not for long. I hope the three in the second post are much less juvenile.

Thanks for the comments. Yes modularity will probably remain. However, It is also a bit difficult to use without some basic storage capabilities.

Mules

If I woke up next to you camping and saw the Grizzly, my pants would be soiled. Love it for the back! I would wrap the sides with the same subdued tree pattern as the Grizzly back, and maybe add a deer on one side, and something else on the other. I really like how it blends with the black paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior