I've left the Toyota Fold, AKA my Montero Build Thread

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I am in the inland empire. I head up north to SAC to visit my sister, but not often.

Ahh... I'm near Manteca/Tracy.

I'm thinking about planning a trip south for the New Years holiday (I should have Friday through Monday off). Maybe Anza Borrego are or the Cleghorn trail. Haven't decided yet. Will post up a separate thread once I decide for any interest from others to come along.

m3at333hp

Adventurer
Sounds good; Cleghorn is about 20 minutes away from me (although I have never been). This is my first 4x4 but I have always loved Monty's. Growing up, my parents has a 1990 and then later on they had a 1996 LS. So hit me up but expect me to be a noob ;)

mike5

Adventurer
Off Roader, I'd most likely be able to do a new year's trip as well...so let me know too.

m3at333hp: you have a E46 m3?

m3at333hp

Adventurer
Mike,

No, just one of my all time favorite cars made :) I maybe should have bought one recently, but instead I am driving an E60 525i since I drive about 60 miles a day and it is comfortable. Luckily, I was able to at least find one in a 6 speed manual :sombrero:

red87

Adventurer
So I caught up on some maintenance yesterday and replaced all three wipers, both fog light bulbs, a tail light (apparently we have 4, haha), and the bulbs in the compass. My one question is about the compass lights. Are they supposed to be on all the time or what? They bulbs were out when I bought it so I have no background here.

m3at333hp

Adventurer
So I caught up on some maintenance yesterday and replaced all three wipers, both fog light bulbs, a tail light (apparently we have 4, haha), and the bulbs in the compass. My one question is about the compass lights. Are they supposed to be on all the time or what? They bulbs were out when I bought it so I have no background here.
Yes, I believe the light is supposed to be on all the time. The reason I say so is because my '98 light is going out so I have been paying attention to it more and it is supposed to be on without the lights on.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Yes, they are on all the time. They dim when dash lights are turned on. I took the little blue bulb covers off. I like the yellower look.
FOG lights were a PITA huh?

red87

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure they're aftermarket. Here's a pic so you can verify for me:

muletown%u0025252520rd2.jpg

It looks like the plastic grill above the skidplate was modified (pretty cleanly) to fit them

They weren't too bad to change out. The lens is held in with little metal clips that pop right off with a screwdriver.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Those are a factory option fog light. I used to sell them at the dealer I worked for. The mechanics hated installing them ad it was like a 4 Hr job! Whole front bumper had to come off to fit the mounting brackets.

jluck

Adventurer
What are your thoughts about the sway bar removal now you have some time on it?. How much did it improve your flex?

Silverwulf

Adventurer
I took mine off 2 weeks ago. There is more lean. But, there is more road stability issues with 32"m/t tires cornering at 30+mph than the lack of a sway bar. If I had street tires or even a/t's I would have kept it. Since my intentions for this is more slow, trail type driving, I chose ine increased wheel travel. Removing the bar added at least an additional 2" in individual wheel travel. One side can go up higher while the other can drop lower. I checked this out when installing the rear spring spacers. If you dont want to cut it in half, you must remove both shocks to get it out in one piece.
HTH:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior