I've left the Toyota Fold, AKA my Montero Build Thread

red87

Adventurer
Its time for another of my far too spread out updates!

Last weekend I attended the Long Beach Grand Prix and got some fabbing done with the help of CYi5 and his excellent welding skills. Unfortunately my cutting skills don't quite match up, but at least my new gas can holder is strong, if not a bit ugly :wings:

The design for this came directly from Inyo Man's build thread. My biggest departures from his design are using square tubing for the extensions and welding the can holder onto the plate. I used square tubing because that's all the steel place had and we welded the holder on due to a time constraint. It should be stronger too so its win-win. I won't bother with the build pictures as you can just reference Inyo Man's thread for pictures if you're curious. His mount looks much nicer anyway :)

gas%u00252520can%2520holder5.JPG

gas%u00252520can%2520holder4.JPG

You can see how far out the whole thing sticks when the can's attached here:
gas%u00252520can%2520holder3.JPG

I had no idea these holders were lockable until I looked closer. I must admit, I'm pretty pleased about that.
gas%u00252520can%2520holder2.JPG

I'm looking forward to next time I'm out in Death Valley and I can just cruise on by the crazy expensive gas stations for once.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'm looking forward to next time I'm out in Death Valley and I can just cruise on by the crazy expensive gas stations for once.

Very nice. FWIW, also consider picking up some NATO Jerry cans. They're usable inside your rig because they seal well enough that no fumes escape from the can unlike the blitz cans. In my case, I hope to eventually get one of those locking holders mounted back there once I modify the mount to fit. I'll use it for one of the Blitz cans I have. With it back there, it's a very effective accident avoidance tool since most drivers won't want to hit it and will give extra room to prevent that from happening.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
red87;1094403 His mount looks much nicer anyway :)[/QUOTE said:
Thanks for the compliment!
Great job on the project! It's so nice to breeze through Furnace Creek without stopping for gas, and then spend the money you saved on more beer.

Regarding the sealing qualities of the Blitz cans, I've had a different experience than off-roader.
My Blitz cans have always sealed so well that the sides crush in when it's been opened at altitude and then driven to sea level.
However, I've heard of others that have had problems with them sealing. I've been using them since 1986 and never have had an issue.
(My secret is to replace the o-ring when it gets worn.)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the compliment!
Great job on the project! It's so nice to breeze through Furnace Creek without stopping for gas, and then spend the money you saved on more beer.

Regarding the sealing qualities of the Blitz cans, I've had a different experience than off-roader.
My Blitz cans have always sealed so well that the sides crush in when it's been opened at altitude and then driven to sea level.
However, I've heard of others that have had problems with them sealing. I've been using them since 1986 and never have had an issue.
(My secret is to replace the o-ring when it gets worn.)

My experience was with a brand new can used for the first time when doing a Utah Swell trip way back when. Maybe it's because I was trying to close them by hand. I guess if you use something to give you greater leverage they can be closed well enough to seal properly. Kind of a pain if that's the case.

Regardless comparing them side by side it's a no brainer. The original Jerry can design is superior IMHO but this isn't the forum to discuss those details. I can post more info on my experiences in a separate thread if you'd like.

That said, I do see a good use for them as a fake jerry can on the back to keep tailgaters at bay. :sombrero:

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Thanks for the offer off-roader, but there's no need to post anything.

One thing I love about these mounts for the Blitz cans is when the can is not on the mount, the mount sits tight against the rig. Many Jerry can mounts need a platform for the can to sit on in order to secure it. Just a bit more low profile.

red87

Adventurer
I use a screwdriver as a lever to tighten the cap down on my Blitz can. In all fairness, I'm out less than one of those super nice Scepter cans for both my blitz can AND the mount we made. For me, its a fair trade.

skinzluch

Adventurer
Congrats on your new truck!

As far as the 4x4 indicator lights on the dashboard. The ones that show the rear wheels burn out faster because they're always on. It's not to tough to take the instrument binnacle apart, pull out the gauge cluster and replace the lights. You can find replacement bulbs at autolumination. They have all kinds of different LED versions of the bulb but search for this text to find the most basic incandescent version: #74 (T5, T1-3/4) bulbs are 3/4" x 1/8" diameter. They're available in any color.

Do you have the manual to set the compass? If not let me know and I'll post the instructions.

red87

Adventurer
I do have the manual, thanks. I didn't know about that bin under the passenger seat for a solid month after I bought it. That's where I had the owner's manual and a TON of receipts for work done. I was pretty stoked to see all that stuff.

skinzluch

Adventurer
Cool. Yeah, it took me a while to discover that bin too. It's nice to discover that your truck's been well taken care of.

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I've been thinking about taking my anti-sway bars off. Good to read about someone that's done it. Same with the bump stops.

red87

Adventurer
I'd leave the front. Taking the rear off is fine but you'll probably notice some more body roll. I hardly notice it but my last truck didn't have swaybars either. My buddy rode in and commented about the amount of body roll. I'll be sure and post up once I get my bumpstops installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998