Jeep tailgate table ??

cico7

Observer
From AllThingsjeep.com
allthingsjeep_2115_239514314

allthingsjeep_2115_239650596

Maybe Off Road Trail Tools.com too?http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/allthingsjeep_2115_239514314

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The smaller ones are 12" X 18" (Part # 5052 and 5052 Blk) and the larger ones are 13" X 26.5" ( Part # 5048 and 5048 O.E.).

I've never quite understood why the TJ shelves are so much smaller than the JK shelves? The latch housing on the JK is enormous, and yes the vehicle is 5" wider overall, but that latch housing seems to take up most of that. Is there an option to make a wider TJ tray? The ORTT TJ tray is not wide enough for a two burner stove, but it seems like the JK tray won't fit?

Tat

Observer
Nathan,

The larger JK table can be used on the TJ & LJ's. We've had customers doing this since we introduced the larger table. A couple of caveats. Depending on what year your TJ/LJ is.

(1) 2003-2006 have vents in the grille. Soft tops should be no problem. The newer hard tops vent thru the tailgate vs the hard top. If you have a late TJ and hard top then you'll need to roll down the window/s for positive air flow.

(2) Late model units also have plastic pieces attached to the tailgate for that hold the wiring for the 3rd brake light. That will be in the way as well. Re routing is necessary as well, or removal.

That being said, I will be switching out units on my Jeep shortly.

I think that T Mault will be doing a post showing the install on his LJ soon.

The added space is awesome.

Last edited:

dryrock

Make your own for <$40.

I'm heading home at the moment. I'll try to post some pics of the table I made when I get home this evening. Used 1/2" furniture plywood + some aluminum L channel. Probably don't have more than $25 in it since I had the plywood sitting around already.

I love some of the designs I saw out there, but couldn't justify the $$ they wanted for it (right now at least).

LUISJG

Explorer
I'm heading home at the moment. I'll try to post some pics of the table I made when I get home this evening. Used 1/2" furniture plywood + some aluminum L channel. Probably don't have more than $25 in it since I had the plywood sitting around already.

I love some of the designs I saw out there, but couldn't justify the $$ they wanted for it (right now at least).

I will be using a piece of solid surface for the table, with some rail mounting system, probably wont be till midle of next month till i get to it,,but will post pictures. estimated cost will be like $65

dryrock

Pics of Tailgate Table

Here are the pics of the Tailgate Table I built. Solid surface material would be nice if I had any laying around. The only thing I have left to do is install a strap to keep it closed. Friction worked for the last wheelin' trip I went on.

JKTable1.jpg

JKTable2.jpg

JKTable3.jpg

JKTable4.jpg

JKTable5.jpg

86cj

Explorer
This was one of my first additions to the LJ, it gets used almost as much as the tailgate handle. I used all stainless, a stud holds the chain as well as holding the shelf shut, via a simple wing nut. A lip around the shelf helps keep round stuff from finding the ground.
A tailgate stop is a good idea also, holding the gate open on an incline is a must. I made both for my LJ, neither were available from the aftermarket back then. On my LJ the plastic vent pulls out, easily allowing access to the center portion of the tailgate. The ends of the tailgate require a fastner with no nut access from the back, such as a rivet, which I used on my hinge.

Attachments

• 152 tailgate shelf.jpg
    152 tailgate shelf.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 175

Mamontof

Explorer
Here are the pics of the Tailgate Table I built. Solid surface material would be nice if I had any laying around. The only thing I have left to do is install a strap to keep it closed. Friction worked for the last wheelin' trip I went on.

As usually the Best :elkgrin: in low budget and hand made :wings:

LUISJG

Explorer

JKTable1.jpg

JKTable2.jpg

JKTable3.jpg

JKTable4.jpg

JKTable5.jpg

EXCELENT !
I will copy your design.
thanks

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Tat is correct the JK table will fit the TJ tailgate. It basically maxes out the available space. I will be doing a write up on how to mount the table to a 2003-2006 tailgate.

But in the meantime here are some teaser shots.

Picture020.jpg

Picture040.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Errant

Explorer
Looks good, dryrock. What size angle did you use, and is it stainless or aluminum? You could always drill a hole at one or both edges and use a lynch pin to secure it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle