Jeep tailgate table ??

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Tat is correct the JK table will fit the TJ tailgate. It basically maxes out the available space. I will be doing a write up on how to mount the table to a 2003-2006 tailgate.

But in the meantime here are some teaser shots.

That looks pretty nice Beowulf. Have you tried it with a hardtop installed?

Here are the pics of the Tailgate Table I built.

JKTable2.jpg

Nice!

Did you make the steel lanyard or purchase it? Source?

jerdog53

Explorer
The only thing I have left to do is install a strap to keep it closed. Friction worked for the last wheelin' trip I went on.

JKTable4.jpg

How would this strap work to hold it up?

I have a door off of a commercial paper towel dispenser that's stainless steel with a piano hinge along what would be the bottom edge and some 3/32 braded steel cable for the down position supports but i haven't figured out how to keep it in the up position.

Last edited:

dryrock

Nice!

Did you make the steel lanyard or purchase it? Source?

I made it. Picked up some stainless cable @ west marine and swaged the fittings. Easy to do, but a cheap swage tool costs about $25. If you have a west marine nearby, ask if they'll swage it for you. Parts are only a few dollars.

I made it. Picked up some stainless cable @ west marine and swaged the fittings. Easy to do, but a cheap swage tool costs about $25. If you have a west marine nearby, ask if they'll swage it for you. Parts are only a few dollars.

Thanks

I have a West Marine just a few miles away. :)

Tat

Observer
Some thoughts

A few thoughts for those wanting to make your own tray tables.

1. If using wood, make sure you seal it.
2. If metal, powder coated it.
2. Watch the cables, struts, levers or arms. They will get in the way of using the table. Can be bad news when cooking.
3. Use stainless hardware, non rusting can be good in the kitchen area.
4. Watch weight. Tailgates/ hinges aren't the strongest.
5. Radius corners to keep from cutting yourself and or others.

I'm sure I think of a few other things. :)

86cj

Explorer
One of my top priorities was one handed opening, I never set my bags of ice on the ground if at all possible.

I decided to make my table while loading the cooler at the gas pumps, not back in the woods...........:confused:

My table is wet from one thing or another constantly, I enjoy my Stainless Steel.......

406to417

Explorer
I bought one from Off Road trail tools,it must of been one of the first because mine didnt even have options for hooks or magnets or anything.I can honestly say ive never used it.Also,if anyone runs into a rattling problem you can place the little felt pieces that are made for leg chairs in between the shelf and the tail gate and it will take care of the problem.

Oh and dryrock,thanks for the idea of where to put my stickers(I dont like them all over the body)...

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
That looks pretty nice Beowulf. Have you tried it with a hardtop installed?

Yes, it will fit with the hardtop. In fact there is more room with the hardtop. The soft top rear window retention bars is much larger and descreases the space by 1/2".

It all works out quite perfectly with the JK table on a TJ tailgate. Without getting crazy with drilling or cutting out pieces of the table there is really only one place to install it on the 2006 tailgates. I will finish up the install instruction and post them up so everyone can see.

Dr. Jones

Observer
I have an ORTT table, but I had to choose between it and the instatrunk. The trunk won. I really like the table though, so I'm trying to think of somewhere else to use it.

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
Questions on the JK table on a TJ

Beowulf - Did you ever post your install? I would really like to see it.

Beowulf & Tat - Would I still be able to use my Tailgate Stop (from Rugged Ridge), if mounted on the upper portion of the tailgate? From the photos it looks like the actual table would cover it, and it appears that there would be enough "depth" with the tables sides to not have any clearance issues. I'm getting one or the other, the JK's added area is what I really want though.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

rbraddock

Observer
A few thoughts for those wanting to make your own tray tables.

1. If using wood, make sure you seal it.
2. If metal, powder coated it.
2. Watch the cables, struts, levers or arms. They will get in the way of using the table. Can be bad news when cooking.
3. Use stainless hardware, non rusting can be good in the kitchen area.
4. Watch weight. Tailgates/ hinges aren't the strongest.
5. Radius corners to keep from cutting yourself and or others.

I'm sure I think of a few other things. :)

TAT,
I think it is simply awesome that you are a supplier and manufacturer, yet willing to give advice and recommendations to those that would choose to build their own! Kudos to you! :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle