Jeepster Commando Build - A Different Sort of Jeep Thing - Stoffregen Motorsports

Well, I jumped the gun a tad. The body for the Jeepster is still at the paint shop, but is supposed to be sprayed tomorrow. The interior, firewall and underside have been shot, and they look great. You'll notice that the color is almost identical to the original Jeepster blue metallic, but slightly more blue. It's actually an AC Cobra color that we mixed up using original AC color chips.

Here are some shots.

Hi guys. We're back, and getting ready to fire this thing off. Thanks for your patience.

Assembly is the best part of the job. Sure, I like cutting and modifying things then welding them together, but final assembly is the most rewarding part and takes a lot of patience and finesse. Do it wrong, and it's just another truck. Do it right, and you've got something very special.

Seeing all the parts clean and painted or powder coated is a big motivator.

Building the D300 transfer case took some time. These cases are strong, but they tend to leak, so extra attention was given to those leak prone areas. Also, the rear heavy duty output housing needed some machining to be able to be used with studs, instead of the supplied hex socket screws. Why bother with studs? Because studs installed into the case with Loctite proved not only extra strength, but also an added layer of leak prevention. The holes that they thread into are open to gear oil.

This case had a blown up 4:1 gearset in it, with a broken output shaft. I was luckily able to source a set of stock gears from the brother of Parts Mike, who is a renown hoarder of Jeep parts, and he's in his 80s, so he decided it was time to share. Thank you!

Anyone who has ever assembled a Dana 300 t-case knows how difficult the shifter mechanism can be to install. Those interlocking pills make it a challenge, but machining up some dummy shafts to hold things in place during assembly makes it a ton easier.

Modified oil pan with Toyota magnetic drain plug. Another leak proof upgrade.

And here it is complete. Notice the custom twin stick that I had to build myself. Nothing else would clear the passenger seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior