JK Overland Project: Expeditions West 3.0

The Overland JK is my favorite truck on this board right now...everything I LOVE!

It's definitely up there for me, too. Seeing it in person is even more impressive. If I had the means, I'd purchase one in a heartbeat if they ever decide to produce them (likely? Probably not...). It really is everything I want and nothing I don't. Well, maybe a diesel would be nice in it. But, eh...

mmccurdy

Adventurer
It's definitely up there for me, too. Seeing it in person is even more impressive. If I had the means, I'd purchase one in a heartbeat if they ever decide to produce them (likely? Probably not...). It really is everything I want and nothing I don't. Well, maybe a diesel would be nice in it. But, eh...

From what I've read, it would not be too difficult to create this from a stock JK Unlimited. Almost all of the parts are freely available in the aftermarket.

It seems like the hardest parts would be the fenders (the body-color-matched fenders only come on the Sahara trim level, and the Sahara is not available in white :rolleyes:), the panels to fill the rear seat wells (though several enterprising home builders have done the exact same thing, check out jsmoriss' build thread on here), and perhaps the rack mounting system which is a unique through-the-hardtop bracing design that has some real advantages.

It is certainly possible to mount the RTT on any number of aftermarket racks -- I have mine set up on a Gobi Ranger rack, which does add some height to the overall setup, but not much.

Oh yeah, and the AEV corners on the Overland sport some tube rails that are not on the production units, though there is a rumor they will offer some kind of retrofit kit. Personally I don't see how that would work given the much shorter length of the current AEV corners, but what do I know.

Not to take anything away from this rig -- I absolutely love it -- I'm just saying that unlike many of the SkunkWorks projects, it's not a frankenstein creation of custom body work (think Lower 40), but rather a nice purpose-built rig that is attainable by normal people. :D

F5driver

Adventurer
Fitting the Eezi-Awn 1400
sema_jk_%20(1).jpg

sema_jk_%20(3).jpg

Fitting the FrontRunner slide for the 74L
sema_jk_%20(2).jpg

Ok, this is breaking news stuff. A new company has created a factory-styled switch assembly, which installs above the stereo. More info when they are ready to launch. This is the prototype, so finish and color will be different when produced.
sema_jk_%20(4).jpg

sema_jk_%20(5).jpg

sema_jk_%20(7).jpg

We removed the Daystar tray. This unit is poorly produced and had huge gaps and alignment issues.
sema_jk_%20(10).jpg

You can see the alignment here with the Daystar unit.
sema_jk_%20(11).jpg

sema_jk_%20(12).jpg

Cleaning, detailing and decals next. We roll in the morning.
That panel with the switches is great. I just scored some tickets to SEMA so I'll drop by and check it out personally.

From what I've read, it would not be too difficult to create this from a stock JK Unlimited. Almost all of the parts are freely available in the aftermarket.

I don't know, man. Have you seen this thing up close?

It'd be A LOT less expensive to just buy this as a complete package already built than to just buy a new JK and purchase all the parts separate. It would include removing the suspension, carpet, both bumpers, the hood, all 5 wheels, just to name the obvious. All that is just $$$ down the drain. I mean, yeah, give me an unlimited budget, and I could build it. But it'd be WAY less expensive to have one made from the factory.

gpwpat

Adventurer
I am half way there. I got lucky and found most of my parts used from craigslist and other jeepforums. So far from craigslist I got the hood, both front and rear bumpers, and new set of tires. the rims are about 100 each new. but they are spair wheels from the grand cherokee, so I hope to source some up from the local wrecking yard. The only things new that I will have to get is the suspension, snorkel, and the rear reinf. plates. Basically this is now a AEV edition rubicon with a rack and gutted interior. Not at all hard to source or build. Jeep now sells the whole line of AEV parts through the dealer, so you could buy it all at once. But it would be alot more expensive than building it youself even with the waisted parts. The stealer charges more than AEV retail through other parts sources.not to mention intstall labor, and paint.

But I got lucky just turned out a rubicon from 2007 SEMA was getting some of its parts removed and getting revamped for this years show, so I got all the old parts off craigslist for CHEAP.

ventura911

Adventurer
GC steel wheels

Scott, what are your thoughts on the tire/wheel combo? The GC steel wheels are 7.5" wide, correct?

I'm about to replace my original 32" KMs with 35" KM2s. I've seen the negatives with putting 12.5" wide tires on 7.5" wide wheels, but have also seen many, many positives (and no reported failures). Any issues that you've found because of the narrower rim?

I've planned on retaining my original alloy Moabs, but am also curious how the weight of the steel wheels affects handling and performance. If the handling isn't too degraded, and the 7.5" width really needs to be at least 8" for the new tire, I'm thinking of looking at Stockton custom wheels.

Thanks for your insight.
Kevin

Stan the Man

Adventurer
Scott, what are your thoughts on the tire/wheel combo? The GC steel wheels are 7.5" wide, correct?

I'm about to replace my original 32" KMs with 35" KM2s. I've seen the negatives with putting 12.5" wide tires on 7.5" wide wheels, but have also seen many, many positives (and no reported failures). Any issues that you've found because of the narrower rim?

I've planned on retaining my original alloy Moabs, but am also curious how the weight of the steel wheels affects handling and performance. If the handling isn't too degraded, and the 7.5" width really needs to be at least 8" for the new tire, I'm thinking of looking at Stockton custom wheels.

Thanks for your insight.
Kevin

Running a 7.5" wheel is fine. You won't notice a difference between a 7.5" and 8" wheel, except a lighter wallet. There's only a 1/4" difference on either side of the lip.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
On our way to SEMA!

Sorry for the iphone pic

13963_201116053274_640113274_4107868_2295809_n.jpg
Scott,
I have about the same ute trailer. I made a simple spring-over-axle lift on the trailer and upgraded from 12" to 13" tires. Leveled the trailer better with the Jeep. Using this set up for about 10 years and many thousands miles now, mostly on road but also on fire roads. No problems what so ever. Some of the better 50 bucks and 1/2 hour of labor I spent.

richmondbob

Adventurer
2009 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon
AEV Front Bumper
Warn 9.5 Ti winch with Viking line
AEV Hood
AEV Snorkel
Grand Cherokee 17" Steel Wheels
AEV Nth Degree 3.5" Suspension System
Jeep Diff Guards
BFG 35" KM2s
ARB Roof Rack
ARB Simpson III Tent
ARB Awning
AEV Rear Corner Guards with new steps (for accessing the rack and tent)
Jeep Rear Light Guards
AEV Rear Bumper with swing out and 5 gallons of water storage
Rear seats and all insulation/plastic panels removed
Flat floor kit
Jeep Seat Covers
A few Daystar bits

We spent about an hour testing the truck on a local course, and the capability with the 35" tires is impressive. I particularly like the Nth degree suspension. I am surprised how well it handles with the roof tent and rack up high.

Scott, what gears are in the axles and how are they performing with the 35s both on- and off-road?

Also, is the front Rubicon Dana 44 beefed-up with brackets, trusses, etc?

Any picture with someone standing next to the rig for height comparison?

Thanks.

mmccurdy

Adventurer
Bump for any more details on this switch panel.... I'm finding myself in need of some more switches and I would really love to go this route -- availability date, mfg, pricing? Anything?

Since posting this I have found a small amount of additional info (all second hand, so take it with a grain of salt). Supposedly the company is called "Simple Solutions Manufacturing" (new company, no web site that I could find), expected release is January, and it sounds like they're going the sPod-type route where there will be a relay bank component under the hood.

The pics make it seem super prototype-ish (like produced on a 3D printer), so who knows whether January is realistic, but I'm very tempted to hold out since it looks so damn nice.

Scott Brady

Founder
Overland Journal and Expeditions West is going to be featured in a prime-time television program, which will include us driving the Overland JK on various routes in Utah. So, beyond the modifications done for SEMA, we will be making some final preparations to this truck over the next week, primarily aux. battery and wiring for the house systems and final modifications to the storage systems.

Has anyone found an aux. battery system they are particularly happy with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger