JK Overland Project: Expeditions West 3.0

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
You know, that thing works pretty well, and is perfect for the bigger group scenario. It does need slightly longer straps for 35" tires.

Yeah, 35's for overland use were the biggest we planned on and even less on aggressive tires. However, On the next batch the straps will be uber long and the customer can cut excess for their particular application. Instead of making all different sizes or a separate batch of strap extensions. Looks good on the back of the OJK, that rig is killer Scott.

haven

Expedition Leader
OT_Fall_09_%20(21).jpg

Scott, how well would your Earthroamer Jeep do on this
obstacle? My understanding is that Earthroamer adds
stronger springs and shocks to cope with the extra weight
of the camper. This provides a little more ground clearance.
But the tires stay at 32 inches.

Chip Haven

Scott Brady

Founder
The ER would likely make it, though the weight up higher will unload the front more and the rocker and belly-pan skid would have dragged more. The JK Overland has larger tires at 35", which certainly helps.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Such a cool vehicle. The all white is really starting to grow on me. I think this might be NA's D110 replacement.

......You wouldn't happen to need a college intern in the future would you?

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I love this Jeep. I plan to go in the same direction with my Rubicon but I might keep it at 33" tires and maybe a 3" lift so once all the weight is added I might can stilll keep 2.5" of lift all around. I do like the roof top tent idea a lot...

Scott Brady

Founder
SEMA Preparations

I love the National Luna fridges. The one in my Disco is fast, has an auto shutoff to save the battery and is well insulated. So, for the Overland JK, just a bit bigger, might be better :D

Equipt had a 74L dual zone unit available, which is essentially a freezer and fridge, or a fridge and really cold beer side.

It is not quite as big as you would think. It will fit in the back of the JK and still have room for a 20"x50" Adventure Trailers drawer next to it. We have a 50L National Luna, and a few other smaller fridges, so something bigger made sense to test out. This unit would probably be perfect for a remote cabin too (hmmmm?).

The FedEx dude does not like me right now.
JK_Overland_SEMA_.jpg

The packaging is serious for this fridge, which is nice. No damage. I love attention to detail in packaging. It says so much about the company IMO
JK_Overland_SEMA_%20(1).jpg

This is the aluminum model. It is also available in Stainless. I will likely get the cover soon to protect this monster.
JK_Overland_SEMA_%20(10).jpg

74 on the beach in Mexico for a week liters. :chef:
JK_Overland_SEMA_%20(4).jpg

Lots of new features over the Overland Journal editors choice. No permanent wiring of the 12v. nice connectors
JK_Overland_SEMA_%20(6).jpg

This is the freezer side with a single basket. Below the basket is the compressor cabinet. It is a pretty big freezer.
JK_Overland_SEMA_%20(7).jpg

Here is the main compartment, which has two baskets, one on top of the other. It seems to be about 50L in size. Baskets are super convenient for loading the fridge after a visit to the mercado
JK_Overland_SEMA_%20(8).jpg

This is the real magic, and one of the things that separate a National Luna from most fridges. Dual controls, a turbo mode (as the sacrifice of amp draw), and a setting for battery cutout. I find this panel more intuitive that the one on the 50L in the Discovery.
JK_Overland_SEMA_%20(9).jpg

I also got the slide. Not sure it will be necessary for this truck. It adds quite a bit of width and weight.

I also have the rack and tent off of the JK. I like it without the rack, but I am also warming up to it with the rack and tent on top. To accommodate the additional weight, the rear anti-swaybar was increased to a 1" diameter bar.

More update very soon. Only 10 days to SEMA.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
WOw I love that fridge/freezer...
I can't wait to start using the 50L in the Sportsmobile Wheelchair Van...I will have to look at measurements on the 74L as it might be a better option for many people.
The dual controls is a pretty amazing feature.

Can't wait to see this rig in the Chyrsler booth at SEMA.

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Scott, your rigs continue to impress and amaze...I love your Overland JK!

ON a side note...I had to stop by an Autozone for some misc stuff...my girlfriend opens up a magazine and points out a Jeep unlike anything she's ever seen before. Turns out it was your Earthroamer! She turns to me saying, "Wow babe look at this!" She had this look like :Wow1: when I said I recognized that rig and know of the person that owns it.

Last edited:

GTABurnout

Explorer
Scott, do you know where you/the jeep will be at SEMA? Will Overland Journal/Expeditions West have a booth?

I will be there all day Friday I will look for the jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12