Leadville 4WD Adventure... The Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
pangaea said:
Does anyone have any preferences for food and cooking in Leadville this weekend? Communal effort vs. on our own?

Unless there are any objections, I was planning to cook breakfast for the group on Sunday AM... biscuits and gravy. Any takers?

I'm headed out today. Since no one has spoken up on this, I will assume that everyone will be taking care of their own meals.

pangaea

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
I'm headed out today. Since no one has spoken up on this, I will assume that everyone will be taking care of their own meals.

That's my assumption as well. I may do the biscuits and gravy thing for everyone on Sat Morning instead...

Are you going to make it up to the San Juans on the way up here? If so, you ought to go check out Yankee Boy Basin. Some of the best wildflowers in the state, and this should be peak season for them...

pangaea

Adventurer
A couple of quick photo updates from yesterday:

At the bottom of Deer Creek Pass, we saw this little mishap. Appearently, the Disco rolled a couple of days ago up on the trail and the hauled it out to a little parking area.

Attachments

• RolledDisco.jpg
    RolledDisco.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 33

pangaea

Adventurer
The snowdrift at North London Mine on Mosquito Pass. As a size reference, that building is a 3 story ore house.

Attachments

• LondonDrift.jpg
    LondonDrift.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 18

pangaea

Adventurer
The snow drift at the top of Deer Creek Trail. We'll actually only need to dig out a route for the uphill tire. There's already a path for the downhill tire that bikers have been using for the past week or so.

Attachments

• DeerCreekDrift.jpg
    DeerCreekDrift.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 28

pangaea

Adventurer
Last one from the trip: Should be good wildflower viewing. A patch of columbines on Mosquito Pass.

Attachments

• Columbines.jpg
    Columbines.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 25

PCRover

Adventurer
Wish I would have found this trip sooner, that area is on my short list of exploring.

pangaea said:
A couple of quick photo updates from yesterday:

At the bottom of Deer Creek Pass, we saw this little mishap. Appearently, the Disco rolled a couple of days ago up on the trail and the hauled it out to a little parking area.

That doesn't look to good, hope the driver wasn't hurt to bad. Looking at the rig, it might have been someone who shouldn't have been driving out there....

pangaea

Adventurer
pskhaat said:
Isn't hoosier pass going to be closed this weekend?

Not that I know of. The construction signs up there indicated that it was going to be closed from 9pm to 6am every day for a while, but I wasn't aware of a weekend closure.

If it is though, we can always cut across to Boreas Pass which will drop us in South Park a few miles north of Fairplay.

pangaea

Adventurer
PCRover said:
Wish I would have found this trip sooner, that area is on my short list of exploring.

Come on, you can make it. Skip out on whatever other obligations you have planned... }:)

PCRover said:
That doesn't look to good, hope the driver wasn't hurt to bad. Looking at the rig, it might have been someone who shouldn't have been driving out there....

Sure didn't look good to me either, but I don't think that anyone was seriously hurt. I suspect that the vehicle rolled on the Deer Creek snow drift (above), since there was a bit of broken glass around there. I think it was someone who just got in over thier heads and made a costly mistake.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
pangaea said:
Are you going to make it up to the San Juans on the way up here? If so, you ought to go check out Yankee Boy Basin. Some of the best wildflowers in the state, and this should be peak season for them...

Nice! Yea, the plan is to camp there tomorrow night with durango_60 and pskhaat's brother.

:camping:

Great pics. Huge bummer on the Land Rover. ouch.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
This still leaves the big question, where are we meeting on Friday for the drive up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle