Leadville 4WD Adventure... The Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
pangaea said:
Not that I know of. The construction signs up there indicated that it was going to be closed from 9pm to 6am every day for a while, but I wasn't aware of a weekend closure.

If it is though, we can always cut across to Boreas Pass which will drop us in South Park a few miles north of Fairplay.

Last I heard they were trying to work at night and so the pass would only actually be closed overnight. They are doing the one lane alternating thing during the day. All of that only during the week, weekends I think it's regular 2-lane. BTW, the work is supposed to run all summer, so weekday traffic is mostly going to be a pain.

pangaea

Adventurer
pskhaat said:
This still leaves the big question, where are we meeting on Friday for the drive up?

We haven't really discussed it yet, but for those coming from the Front Range, I would say somewhere easy to find like the Dino lots off of I-70 (just past the first hog backs as you're heading West into the mountains from Denver, or somewhere near Colorado Mills Mall (ie a Starbucks or some other place where folks can kill time if they get there early).

pangaea

Adventurer
DaveInDenver said:
Last I heard they were trying to work at night and so the pass would only actually be closed overnight. They are doing the one lane alternating thing during the day. All of that only during the week, weekends I think it's regular 2-lane. BTW, the work is supposed to run all summer, so weekday traffic is mostly going to be a pain.

That was pretty close to my interpretation as well. Here's the latest from CDOT on the Hoosier Pass work (its about a quarter of the way down):

http://www.dot.state.co.us/TravelInfo/CurrentCond/ClosuresNWSW.htm

Scott, if you've heard something else specific about Hoosier Pass for this weekend, please let us know...

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
pangaea said:
Scott, if you've heard something specific about Hoosier Pass for this weekend, please let us know.
On our way up to DEN from PHX, I just kept seeing a bunch of electric road signs stating Hoosier Pass closure, but don't remember for what dates :( But what you have from the CDOT is probably exactly what was stated.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
pangaea said:
The planned camping spot for Sat night is north of Twin Lakes in an area called Half Moon valley. Its just a couple of miles from the trail head for Elbert, so the climbers will be able to get an early start...

I think I can find this, sounds easy enough. I should be there Saturday evening. One of you guys should keep a 2 meter on in case I can't find you guys. :arabia:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Ursidae69 said:
One of you guys should keep a 2 meter on in case I can't find you guys. :arabia:

I will try to remember to turn mine on - 146.460

Glad you plan to make it Chuck!!! :luxhello:

Well, I am owta here. Hopefully I can reach Scott Brady via cell phone on Friday. We'll be driving all the way from the southwest, so probably hook up with you somewhere around Montezuma I guess (?)

See ya! (Nathan, I will send u a PM)

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I may try to meet the gang on the way up at Floyd Hill. Hopefully one of you will have Ham 6m/2m/70cm?

Scott Brady

Founder
Camp One: Keystone N39 32.587 W105 52.539 (WGS84)

Nathan is going to provide more details soon.

Regarding Thursday night, can we get a headcount?

I know Graham, Nathan and I will be there. Unless I can bug-out of the conference a little early, I will be there at about 6:30

pangaea

Adventurer
Directions for the Fri night camp From I-70:

Take the Dillon exit south to Keystone ski area (Hwy 6).

Take the Gondola road exit right (should be signs for skiier parking) and take an immediate left. (follow the signs to Montezuma Road).

Take a right on Montezuma road and go about 5 miles into the town of Montezuma (go slow, the locals REALLY dislike people speeding through town). - 38º 34.951' N 105º 52.122' W

Go straight through the town and follow the signs to Deer Creek Pass. Go straight at about 1 mile where the turn off is for Webster Pass.

Stay on the main road following Deer Creek sign.

At the trail fork, take a right 39º 32.538' N 105º 52.349' W

After 50 meters, trail splits, take the right fork.

Campsite is at 39º 32.587' N 105º 52.539' W

pangaea

Adventurer
Ursidae69 said:
I think I can find this, sounds easy enough. I should be there Saturday evening. One of you guys should keep a 2 meter on in case I can't find you guys. :arabia:

Give me a call or PM me with your phone number and I'll give you directions or GPS coordinates for the camping area on Saturday, since I won't have them until the day of.

The basic directions are:

South out of Leadville on HWY 24. About a mile south of town, the road doglegs to the left, and their is a gas station called Saturdays on the right. Just past that, take a right on CO Hwy 300. After about a mile or so take a left on CO 11 (there's a sign pointing to Half Moon rd). About 2 more miles down the road, take a right on FS road 110. (I think that there is a sign pointing to Half Moon Campgrounds). I believe that we'll be camping on a FS trail that you get to through the Half Moon West campground.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I see 2 options for me right now.

1: Drop my truck off in Breckenridge, catch a ride back to the trailhead, run the trail as a passenger, pick up my truck in Breckenridge and finish the trip with it.

2: Meet the group Saturday when you come into breckenridge, and proceed from there.

Anyone up for running shuttle?

Nathan, what are the roads like getting back to Saturdays campsite? My little sister might come in for the hike, but will be driving a 2wd subaru.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
pangaea said:
Give me a call or PM me with your phone number and I'll give you directions or GPS coordinates for the camping area on Saturday, since I won't have them until the day of.

The basic directions are:

South out of Leadville on HWY 24. About a mile south of town, the road doglegs to the left, and their is a gas station called Saturdays on the right. Just past that, take a right on CO Hwy 300. After about a mile or so take a left on CO 11 (there's a sign pointing to Half Moon rd). About 2 more miles down the road, take a right on FS road 110. (I think that there is a sign pointing to Half Moon Campgrounds). I believe that we'll be camping on a FS trail that you get to through the Half Moon West campground.

Thanks for the info, I should be able to find this okay. I'll drop you a PM too with my number, GPS cooridnates are always handy too. :elkgrin:

I'm going to try and throw together a cd or DVD with some highlights of my Brazil trip. Hope one of you guys has a laptop. :lurk:

Goodtimes, I think KC will be calling you shortly with an option 3.

pangaea

Adventurer
Ursidae69 said:
Thanks for the info, I should be able to find this okay. I'll drop you a PM too with my number, GPS cooridnates are always handy too. :elkgrin:

I'm going to try and throw together a cd or DVD with some highlights of my Brazil trip. Hope one of you guys has a laptop. :lurk:

Goodtimes, I think KC will be calling you shortly with an option 3.

I should have mine with me, and you're more than welcome to use it... Downside is that its a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle