Leadville Weekend Pics and Stories

pangaea

Adventurer
I wanted to say thanks to everyone who made it out for the camping weekend. It was great to finally put faces to names and get to crawl around some of the really cool trucks that everyone brought out.

When we made it to the rendevouz point Friday night, we found that none too friendly camper had already snagged out spot. Scott and some of the others went up trail and found another camping spot for the group. The new spot was great, but it was at timberline. Made for a beautiful camping spot, but a chilly night.

Graham gave the group the first half of his Africa Slideshow before the video projector killed his battery.

Deer Creek:

Attachments

• DeerCreekValley.jpg
    DeerCreekValley.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 114

pangaea

Adventurer
Saturday A.M. Josh led the group up to the snowdrift, while I took Scoot and Graham off to a little rock garden trail to shoot pics of G's truck. The group dug through the first snow drift and made it up on to Glacier Ridge in short order. The weather was perfect and visibility was incredible. We could see all the way to Mt. of the Holy Cross in the west. There were some great wildflowers up there and at the top of Radical, the group saw the resident herd of mountain goats (although they were on a Glacier and too far away to get any decent pics).

Tracy and Connie playing in the flowers:

Attachments

• ConnieTracyFlowers.jpg
    ConnieTracyFlowers.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 164

pangaea

Adventurer
Radical Hill was still snowed in, so we went across Glacier Ridge and came down Middle Fork into the Swan to Breckenridge. We went down a steep little descent on Glacier Ridge, which pictures don't do justice. Its not dangerous at all, but at over 12,000 ft you get to find out just how little engine braking your vehicle really has.

Jonathan's 80 making the descent:

Attachments

• 80descent.jpg
    80descent.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 117

pangaea

Adventurer
Right after the descent, we had a big snow drift that was the major obstacle for the day. The drift was tricky, because there were two deep parts with a small turn in between them. Scott Brady went first with his Tacoma and discovered that you can't slow down for the little turn, as it will leave you with too little momentum for the second deeper part of the drift. He promptly sank to his frame. He was stuck enough that when we tried winching out from the front, he uprooted a rather large boulder that we were using as an anchor. Instead, we pulled him from behind, dug up a bit of the snow and had him give another go with a bit more "enthusiasm".

Trying to winch Scott forward through the drift. In the background you can see the trails of Breckenridge ski resort:

Attachments

• ScottStuck.jpg
    ScottStuck.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 203

pangaea

Adventurer
After that, it was my turn. The combination of not enough ground clearance and not enough momentum meant that I got stuck as well. Another recovery and more digging and I made it through on my second try. After that everyone walked through the snow until Good Times' Dodge pick up demonstrated just how wide a full size pick up really is.

4 Runner going through the drift:

Attachments

• 4RunnerDrift.jpg
    4RunnerDrift.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 201

pangaea

Adventurer
The most entertaining crossing was Bill and his almost stock Pathfinder. Despite having less ground clearance than the rest of us, he blazed through the drift, spending more time on 2 wheels more than on 4. :bowdown:

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics of it, because I was right next to the trail and I jumped back in fear of my life. Hopefully someone else got a good pic or two of his run.

Josh brought up the rear with his White Disco:

Attachments

• JoshDrift.jpg
    JoshDrift.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 153

pangaea

Adventurer
After that, we headed down Middle Fork into Breckenridge. Saw some great flowers along the way, including lots of Columbines (the state flower). We had lunch at Breckenridge Brewery and then made the drive over Hoosier Pass into South Park and then over Weston Pass into the Leadville area. But I'll let someone else take over from here. Chris (Baja Taco) and I took off early and did a high speed crossing of the trail in order to secure the group's campsite for Sat night so we weren't around for that, and I was too lazy to get up for the Elbert assult Sun Morning.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
LeadvilleExPogroup.jpg

Great trip, great weekend!! :clapsmile

Thanks to Scott and Nathan for putting this together. It was great to see everyone and to meet some folks for the first time.

Personal highlights included -

- seeing the B*tchin' 110 in person
- going for a night ride in the back of durango_60's new 80 series Cruiser
- 2 of Graham's awesome slide shows at 10K+ foot elevations
- listening to 2 brothers discuss Evolution and the effects of poor gentics on the libido
- watching Bill with his Pathfinder finding his inner redneck in the snowdrift
- seeing the look on BajaTaco's face as he rode above timberline
- a great lunch in Breckenridge at the Brewery
- the look on durango_60's face when Nathan and Graham walked out of the restroom at the Brewery
- the Cruiser guys bear defense plan
- meeting Brian and Heather, who I kind of knew already
- Captain America, making me feel incredibly unhealthy
- Goodtimes dubs my camper "the Condo." Sounds cooler than "the camper" to me!
- Chuck's homemade Elk burritos. Oh, wait.....
- lunch in Leadville on Sunday at Mountain High Pizza (never did find Lupe's)
- Goodtimes bead story....bloop...bloop...bloop....barf!
- Chuck nearly running me over in camp when his leg cramped on the accelerator after his 14er hike
- camping with Goodtimes and Chuck off Cottonwood Pass Sun night. Fockers....

Captain America putting us all to shame -
LeadvilleExPoCaptAmerica.jpg

Another personal highlight happened after leaving Chuck and Brian Monday morning in Buena Vista. Within 10 minutes, barely out of town, I spied a diesel performance shop and sitting in the parking lot was the Turtle Expedition III. This is the same outfit that crossed Siberia with a Four Wheel Camper, just like mine. I don't know if Gary and Monica still own this truck or not. But it was super duper cool to see it as their trucks and stories have been a huge inspiration to me over the years.

I took the long way home north, through Rocky Mountain National Park, then back west, towards Steamboat Springs. I saw a really, really bad motorcycle accident on RT 14, going around the Medicine Bow NF. A Goldwing took a switchback too wide and hit a Grand Cherokee on the front driver's side fender, slid down the side of the vehicle and tore off the front corner of the pop up camper the Jeep was towing. There was little left of the Goldwing and EMT's were on the scene, not sure what happened to the rider.

Thanks again to Nathan and Josh for prerunning, Graham for bringing the slides, Scott for letting me squeeze in at the last moment and to everyone who showed up, making this such a memorable weekend! :beer:

LeadvilleExPocamp.jpg

Attachments

• Leadville ExPo camping.jpg
    Leadville ExPo camping.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Leadville ExPo trail 1.jpg
    Leadville ExPo trail 1.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 64
  • Leadville ExPo Gr Mtn Res.jpg
    Leadville ExPo Gr Mtn Res.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Leadville ExPo Nathan.jpg
    Leadville ExPo Nathan.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Leadville ExPo T100.jpg
    Leadville ExPo T100.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Leadville ExPo top.jpg
    Leadville ExPo top.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Leadville ExPo Turtle III.jpg
    Leadville ExPo Turtle III.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Leadville ExPo SB.jpg
    Leadville ExPo SB.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Great trip everyone!

My pics are all still on my camara, and there aren't too many of 'em. I'll move them to the computer sometime today (I hope).

KC, no matter how much you liked my bead story, it still doesn't match Chucks "Alaskan Adventures" story ("that things gotta be anchored down there or something"). :smilies27

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
The slight, and barely visible indentation on the canopy housing of the Turtle III truck is sorta my fault. I was guiding this and a group of vehicles over a narrow, wooded Pennsylvania mountain trail. The Turtle truck didn't quite fit between the trees and hours were spent getting the vehicle through as unscathed as possible. :(

Great pics! I think I visited Leadville once, which is remarkable because I've very seldom been far from the east coast. Beautiful country, and I'd love to visit again!

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Nice pictures guys! Keep them coming. Sorry I couldn't partake, didn't fit with my time frame, I missed you guys by 2 days. Next time though.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the photos and description of the trip guys. Those of us who could not be there do appreciate it.

kcowyo said:
Another personal highlight happened after leaving Chuck and Brian Monday morning in Buena Vista. Within 10 minutes, barely out of town, I spied a diesel performance shop and sitting in the parking lot was the Turtle Expedition III. This is the same outfit that crossed Siberia with a Four Wheel Camper, just like mine. I don't know if Gary and Monica still own this truck or not. But it was super duper cool to see it as their trucks and stories have been a huge inspiration to me over the years.

I too am a big Turtle Expedition fan. The Turtle III was sold in 1997 (for $ $34,890) according to the website, but it was the Tutle IV that went to Siberia ( I think they still own that one).

Cheers
Mark

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I only spent Saturday evening through Monday morning with the group. It was great to see some of my old buddies, I miss all you guys, and to meet new people, putting faces to names. I'm glad I got the privilege to see Part II of the Africa slideshow on Saturday night. That was awesome! :clapsmile

I had already done a big hike on Saturday morning up near Great Sand Dunes National Park, so I didn't quite finish the Elbert hike, but me and Brian got close enough I think. I'll make it back later this summer and bag the peak.

Couple of pics below. The first is Scott and Chris about halfway up the trail with the first false summit in the background. The second picture is Brian not looking so happy to be at 13,000 feet! Third picture is a view of Mount Massive to the north.

I put together a page with pictures from my whole weekend in Colorado. I always love visiting there. Link to those pictures.

To Goodtimes and kcowyo, thanks for all the laughs Sunday night, that was fun. Sorry again K.C. for our prank on Monday morning! It'll never happen again! Really! ********… :shakin: :shakin:

Until the next trip…:wavey:

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Wow great pictures and funny stories :luxhello: :clapsmile

Thank you all for sharing. The scenery looks beautiful. I guess there's another destination I need to add to the "places to go" list. :camping:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears