Leadville Weekend Pics and Stories

Scott Brady

Founder
On the way home, Chis and I had fun doing some photo's and cruising through Moab.

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1439.JPG

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Here are some panorama pics. The first shows the summit of Mt. Elbert (highest point in Colorado at 14,433 ft., 2nd highest point in lower 48) on the left side of the pic. The second is the view looking westward from the summit.

Attachments

• elbert-pano01-sm.jpg
    elbert-pano01-sm.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 75
  • elbert-pano02-sm.jpg
    elbert-pano02-sm.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 70

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Speaking of the summit, Bill - did you make it up there? We saw your Pathfinder parked at the TH when we got back, but we never passed you on the trail.

david despain

Adventurer
scott those are great pics! seeing as how those are for "work" do you make sure to wash your truck a few times a week when on your travels? it always looks so good when its composed in the perfect shot.

Scott Brady

Founder
david despain said:
scott those are great pics! seeing as how those are for "work" do you make sure to wash your truck a few times a week when on your travels? it always looks so good when its composed in the perfect shot.

Actually, the truck was dirty as hell. I think the rains knocked off just enough dust to make it look ok.

Thanks for the compliments :)

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Bajataco -- see my comments on Sunday

Hi all,

Okay got some pics back, so time to post. First of all, a huge thank you to Nathan and Josh for making this happen, to everyone who came -- you are all great people and I enjoyed spending time with each of you! :bowdown:

Friday:
Got a very late start and with no CB or 2M I couldn't find the group. I explored a side trail that went off to the right of the main pass, about one mile up Deer Creek from the Webster sign. It was a pretty serious trail for a relatively novice driver in a mostly stock truck. After I decided that wasn't where the group was camping, Zoe the Wondermutt and I returned to Deer Creek and camped on the valley floor where it was beautiful, quiet, and one of the clearest nights I can remember. It was also freekin' cold, probably around 15 or so.

Saturday:
Woke up to a crystal clear Rocky Mountain morning. Within a few minutes I see Nathan cruising down the road and get directions to the group campsite and meet up with everyone. This is the first time I have been off-road with a group and I have to say it is a lot more fun than going solo. Pretty much everything that can be written about the day has been, so here are some highlights:
- First, seeing all the cool trucks, they are all top notch and each very different. Oh, so cool.
- Seeing Pskhaat, who I haven't seen in close to 15 years, yet he still looks the same, and his brother 3fzj80 who I haven't seen in six years since I left Fort Collins.
- The people on the trip were some of the nicest, sharpest, funniest and most helpful people I have run across in a long time.
- Graham's slideshow was amazing! I hope to catch an encore presentation of the first half since I missed it.

Sunday:
Well, this was one of those growth experiences -- the kind I probably should remember, but really hope to forget. My dinner for Saturday night was a packet of freeze-dried beef stroganoff. I should have been smart enough to pass, but I ate it anyway and woke up Sunday morning really wishing I had just fed it to the dogs. Also, my alarm never went off Sunday morning and I woke up about 5:30. Between the late start, packing up slowly and feeling positively horrible (as well as an irresistable photo-op in camp) I didn't hit the trail until 7:15. I remember Bajataco saying it wan't the main trail, it was the North trail that everyone was taking, though in retrospect, he probably said that the main trail is the north trail. Any case I asked some hikers for directions and either I completely confused them with my question or they were genuinely mean, but they told me to take a left when I got to the "Elbert" sign and follow the trail that goes down to the plateau. Well, being a dumba$$, I did and followed it for a few miles until it meat up with the Colorado Trail and eventually the South Elbert trail. Not realizing there was a North trail, I assumed I was in the right place and continued up the mountain. By this time I would guess that I lost at least 500' of elevation. After another hour or so of hiking I found a nice meadow that I hung out in for about an hour. At this point I could tell that I had two large blisters on each heel that had popped and I was starting to feel very sick from that darn stroganoff. I continued on and eventually realized that there was another trail and by then the rest of the group that I was trying to catch was probably off the mountain. So long story short, I went up the south trail to the summit, over the summit to the north trail and down the north trail, completing the loop. The entire trip, including my 1.5 hour stop, took about nine hours. I ran out of water about an hour from the summit and by the time I got back to the parking lot had accumulated a half dozen blisters per foot, one on my hand and a couple new friends. As many of you know, I am not currently in shape for a trek like that and it took a few days to recover. Total mileage was about 12 and total vertical (up and down) was close to 10k'.

Also, for comparison sake, my average mpg for the trip was 19.5.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
pangaea said:
The most entertaining crossing was Bill and his almost stock Pathfinder. Despite having less ground clearance than the rest of us, he blazed through the drift, spending more time on 2 wheels more than on 4. :bowdown:

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics of it, because I was right next to the trail and I jumped back in fear of my life. Hopefully someone else got a good pic or two of his run.

Scott, do you mind posting and/or sending me a copy, they looked pretty cool.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
bigreen505 said:
Sunday:
Well, this was one of those growth experiences -- the kind I probably should remember, but really hope to forget. My dinner for Saturday night was a packet of freeze-dried beef stroganoff. I should have been smart enough to pass, but I ate it anyway and woke up Sunday morning really wishing I had just fed it to the dogs. Also, my alarm never went off Sunday morning and I woke up about 5:30. Between the late start, packing up slowly and feeling positively horrible (as well as an irresistable photo-op in camp) I didn't hit the trail until 7:15. I remember Bajataco saying it wan't the main trail, it was the North trail that everyone was taking, though in retrospect, he probably said that the main trail is the north trail. Any case I asked some hikers for directions and either I completely confused them with my question or they were genuinely mean, but they told me to take a left when I got to the "Elbert" sign and follow the trail that goes down to the plateau. Well, being a dumba$$, I did and followed it for a few miles until it meat up with the Colorado Trail and eventually the South Elbert trail. Not realizing there was a North trail, I assumed I was in the right place and continued up the mountain. By this time I would guess that I lost at least 500' of elevation. After another hour or so of hiking I found a nice meadow that I hung out in for about an hour. At this point I could tell that I had two large blisters on each heel that had popped and I was starting to feel very sick from that darn stroganoff. I continued on and eventually realized that there was another trail and by then the rest of the group that I was trying to catch was probably off the mountain. So long story short, I went up the south trail to the summit, over the summit to the north trail and down the north trail, completing the loop. The entire trip, including my 1.5 hour stop, took about nine hours. I ran out of water about an hour from the summit and by the time I got back to the parking lot had accumulated a half dozen blisters per foot, one on my hand and a couple new friends. As many of you know, I am not currently in shape for a trek like that and it took a few days to recover. Total mileage was about 12 and total vertical (up and down) was close to 10k'.

Also, for comparison sake, my average mpg for the trip was 19.5.

Holy crap man, you still summitted after all that! :smileeek:

I feel like a big baby for not hitting the summit now after reading what you went through! Glad you made it and survived. :bowdown:

Scott Brady

Founder
Bill's "Drift"

Here, you can see the dust kicking up from the full throttle launch:
IMG_1106.JPG

Bill hits the first bank of snow and goes airborn (DS tire is in the air)
IMG_1107.JPG

Here he lands and keeps the throttle down, pushing a huge wall of snow. Then I run for cover...
IMG_1108.JPG

:victory: Too much fun

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Amazing pics

Absolutely amzing pictures and stories. Sounds like you guys had a blast, met some new friends and put your vehicles to good use. I'd say that you can't top a trip like that. :D

expeditionswest said:
...Then I run for cover...

Too bad no one had any pics of the look on your face as you are scrambling to get out of the way!

Cheers :beer:,
P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle