Lets See Your Fold Down Tables!

justin_carlson

dba5df17b397d9df26a5bd46503668e5.jpg

31e9e2806d1b900fc9c5e7197c873c2f.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
hey. i have been thinking about making my tailgate table, and yesterday i found these folding shelf brackets...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Foldi...1-7-8-shelf-support-bracket-NEW-/361298889380

s-l1600.jpg

has any of you used them? when in place the shelf is pretty strong, i saw them physically at a wood shop. not strong enough to stand on them, but i dont know why i would want to stand on it either... i will just use it for my camping stove and light use...

Those seem too bulky for most rear door setups, would work great in a trailer though.

svana

Observer
when not in use, i think the table will be about 2.5" thick... it will be thicker than just a metal plate, but not much...

These look nifty, but one thing to consider is that they fold down, not up. In order for it to be at the proper height when in the usable position, it would likely be hanging lower than the swing arm and interfere with the bumper when in the "closed position". You could potentially flip the brackets over to have the table fold upwards, but I can't tell if the unit locks in the folded position as well as the extended. If not, you'd have to fashion some kind of lock for it.

Edit: Scratch the upside down idea. The description says you have to take it beyond extension in order to unlock the table to close it. If you're going to have the table swing down into the open position like a traditional trail table, it's always going to be at full extension, never being locked. You'll essentially be relying on the strength of the material back stop as opposed to the latching mechanism.

rob mellor

Observer
IMG_2995.jpgIMG_2996.jpgIMG_2994.jpg

I just finished mine today, most of the ideas came from members on here. It's all stainless steel including the hardware and then the table top is from a cutting board company. It's a material called richlite thats suppose to be good to 350 degrees so using the stove on it is no problem. Then it also has a knife block, bottle opener and hook for a garbage bag on the bottom right.

Attachments

• IMG_2995.jpg
    IMG_2995.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 71

fireball

Explorer
For the back of my BJ74.

King starboard panel and Baltic birch plywood with a few coats of spar varnish. Rare earth magnets flushed into the table which secure to the bolts holding the panel in place when upright.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458859583.648503.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458859595.285568.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458859608.253340.jpg

hyperboarder

Adventurer

Put this in last weekend. About $20 in parts, brackets are from Amazon, shelf from Home Depot. Digging it so far, probably just under 2" protrusion from the door, fits with just a bit of clearance to the platform.

jerdog53

Explorer
I had created a fold down table for the tail gate of the LJ I had made from the door of a bathroom paper towel dispenser.

009_zpsw720nfdp.jpg

Very low budget.

jmeb

Observer
In exploration phase of how to mount a drop down table securely to the rear dutch door on my Astro van. Pulled of the interior panel (plastic + carpet in the middle) to get a look at underneath....

(Before clean-up)
fv21X3D.jpg

This just raised more questions for me.

- Insulate the interior openings?
- Build small storage shelves inside for kitchen odds-and-ends and mount drop down directly to this panel?
- Put the panel back on and mount to the trim (if so, what sort of hardware to go through the panel and sheet metal?)
- Ideal height would be on the lower-edge of the speaker. Not sure how to securely mount the table hinge here -- maybe just two small hinges at outer edges instead of a piano hinge?

Welcome any ideas. Goal is to have a cook service big enough / study enough to hold my Coleman two-burner + coffee pot + cast iron skillet.

Accrete

Explorer
not a jeep tailgate... but one way to do it : )
The galley box on the curb/camp side of our rear aluminess bumpers on the van. This replaced a table and chuck box.
Wife approved!

attachment.php

Thom

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
Put this in last weekend. About $20 in parts, brackets are from Amazon, shelf from Home Depot. Digging it so far, probably just under 2" protrusion from the door, fits with just a bit of clearance to the platform.
Do you have an amazon part #? Looks easy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan