LR3 with only 45K has major failure

cruiser guy

Explorer
Well, then it's obvious you have the experience needed to determine that the stamped steel isn't going to cut it offroad (BTW, I don't disagree) & that the LR3 is nothing but a nice minivan that can barely go offroad! :)

I really am glad to hear your just as opinionated in person! Seriously.

If a 'Rover owner is dissing 'Rover then I'm DEFINITELY NOT interested in ever owning one (not that I was interested before anyways:)).

It'll be interesting in another 20-30 years to see how many of these are still on the road.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
It'll be interesting in another 20-30 years to see how many of these are still on the road.

I think that will be interesting to see across the board for all auto manufacturers. It seems as though more and more vehicles are built for the short term, for as long as the warranty period and not long after that before it gets prohibitively expensive to own.

This debate reminds of a similar debate I had when the last of the "new" Star Wars series came out. My intern (born in '85) who was new to Star Wars beyond seeing it on DVD couldn't understand how I thought that "The Empire Strikes Back" was the pinnacle of the brand. His main argument was that the special effects were not up to what the new crop was doing. My main argument being that the special effects took away from an already great story.

So it seems to go with the Land Rover brand, those that have been with it for some time feel that what the brand has become and come to represent is not the same as before. Those that are new to the brand don't know what they are missing out on until well after they have invested a serious sum of money. Even then they truly don't understand what pre-2000 Land Rovers mean in metaphysical sense, much like difference in seeing the original Star Wars at a drive in theater as opposed to a DVD.

jham

Adventurer
I think the biggest problem for me is not producing a similar replacement for the disco. I don't have a problem with the "classy" range rovers, the supercharged engines, or the luxury options. I even like the LR3, some of it's styling, and most of it's characteristics. The problem for me is that, if you want a new land rover, your only options are to buy vehicles loaded with more electronics and computers than I could ever imagine. My idea of modding a truck does not consist of "tricking" the airbags into staying up higher. Im young, but I've grown attached to the "old" way of doing things.

To me, there's nothing wrong with producing new vehicles to suit the demands of soccer moms and business men looking for comfort. They wanna make money, too. The fault I see is not straying away from what your brand really stands for, and not producing something for the thousands of loyal enthusiasts who prefer to drive a series or a disco in order to stay away from the electrickery.

bovw

Explorer
The fault I see is not straying away from what your brand really stands for, and not producing something for the thousands of loyal enthusiasts who prefer to drive a series or a disco in order to stay away from the electrickery.
They still produce them Josh, just no for the US. The Defender is still pretty basic, the 70 Series LC for another, a Hi Lux, or a Patrol. I know there's more that we can't get, those are just off the top of my head. I'd be all over a diesel 70 series Troopie if they were here, and I had more money.

Jwestpro

Explorer
much like difference in seeing the original Star Wars at a drive in theater as opposed to a DVD.

I love your sig line, takes me back 30 yrs to the day Star Wars debuted in theatres.

This might hurt your techno-delicate mindset ;) but the newest RR for 2010, has a TFT screen replacing all the instrument dials in the main driver's dash unit - cool but what happens when it goes "zoink"? Maybe for a $100k vehicle a LR tech will fly to wherever a person is stuck ;)

Seriously, I am all about some of the techno stuff, love it like a latte but I want it separated from the car starting and running more or less. I want full on internet touch screen/nav, etc so I can see weather radar and sat images like at home or using my laptop with data card. However, I don't want it's failure to cause anything else in the car to not function either.

Snagger

Explorer
Something I have learnt through my profession is to distrust automatic systems and electronics, and i carry that distrust over to cars.

I thin D3s, RRS and L322s are great cars and great off roaders in every respect except their electronic vulnerability. While most are fine for several years, eventually they will have problems, making them unviable as older cars.

I also distrust air suspension - the RRC, P38 and D2 have shown that it's no good for an older car or one used on expedition type work.

I'm all for the technically simpler vehicles, where any electronics and accessories are independent of the vehicles' main systems, so their failure won't leave you stranded.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I'm all for the technically simpler vehicles, where any electronics and accessories are independent of the vehicles' main systems, so their failure won't leave you stranded.
That's the argument I've been making for years.

I've been reading this thread as it's progressed and, aside from the disagreement on how substantial the LR3 suspension is, there seems to be a disconnect in the thoughts on the LR3's off-road capability. From what I've seen and read elsewhere, I would offer the opinion that the LR3 is very capable off-road. This does not mean, by a long shot, I'd choose it as an expedition vehicle. It's too dependent on electronics for it's off-road capability, and if those fail you can indeed be left stranded. The long term availability of parts is another concern.
Now, there are those who would argue that mechanical systems can fail and leave you stranded, like a broken axle, so even older cars have limitations/risks. To me, that's a red herring because the LR3 has axles too. So now you have the risk of a broken axle, plus the risk of dead traction control electronics.

It seems that the LR3 off-road capability, and it's long term viability are two entirely different discussions.
No doubt an LR3 can out perform my '62 SWB off-road, but will an LR3 still be doing well off-road 47 years after it's build date? My guess is no.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Sorry Michael but this is not fact it is your opinion, now you are playing into the same thing making statements that really are not able to be proven as fact.

"The rolled collar that the bushing is pressed into opened up and tore free dropping the front left corner of the car on to the roadway and allowed the wheel and tire to fold back into the wheel well. The force of the truck being thrown around after the intial failure also seems to have damaged the right rear suspension and a component failure ocured there as well."

And has been rehashed and rehashed this is merely your opinion. You have no failure analysis of the parts to show root cause.

The number of failures compared to the total production of this vehicle and its RR sport bretheren is a fact. That fact allows the original conclusion to be drawn. Any reliability analysis will produce the same result. That is not opinion.

Jwestpro

Explorer
The number of failures compared to the total production of this vehicle and its RR sport bretheren is a fact. That fact allows the original conclusion to be drawn. Any reliability analysis will produce the same result. That is not opinion.

The only facts you have are productions numbers and known reported failures. None of us know how many failures have occurred that were either part of a larger collision, potentially being the cause....or with multiple parts breaking as with some of the UK folks who really push the limits on these with larger tires, spacers, and plenty of off roading for real. Lot's of things have broken from all the posts I've read over three years.

By saying your statement above, it sounds like you think it's acceptable for some proportion of this type of failure.... I think it's not at all acceptable and no different from complete brake failure, air bag defects, etc. all of which are unacceptable on a relatively new vehicle.

My first lr3, an 06 hse, sheared the steering column adjusting/joining bolts on the cabin side - more or less on their own after a dealer had the car over a week when a trade was going on. Regardless of who/what, that was total BS and a service adviser tried to blame/say it was due to the 1" oversized tires. My response to which I don't think is allowed on this forum per language rules.

After coming across this thread story, I checked out a couple vehicles build/design in the same wheel/control arm area: The VW Touareg has big solid looking cast/formed parts all over under there, none of the "stamped" and welded type. Similar is the Benz G500. Extremely robust and obviously designed, and built, to last without question.

My current 2007 seems fine, I will periodically inspect these areas though to be safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior