LR3 with only 45K has major failure

michaelgroves

Explorer
Don't forget however, that a Series had to be brought in to blaze the trail for the Range Rovers crossing the Darien Gap.

I'm quite familiar with the details of that particular expedition, including the use of a 109. It wasn't a typical expedition at all, and IMO, didn't say anything about the off-road capabilities of Range Rovers! The terraine was so extreme, the vehicles were winched, pushed, carried and floated most of the way, with vast British Army support teams cutting trails through the jungle.

But to tell the truth, I'm not sure what your (counter) point was. A Range Rover (classic) isn't a capable off-roader?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I'm quite familiar with the details of that particular expedition, including the use of a 109. It wasn't a typical expedition at all, and IMO, didn't say anything about the off-road capabilities of Range Rovers! The terraine was so extreme, the vehicles were winched, pushed, carried and floated most of the way, with vast British Army support teams cutting trails through the jungle.

But to tell the truth, I'm not sure what your (counter) point was. A Range Rover (classic) isn't a capable off-roader?
It was actually a SWB that was used by the pathfinder group. You may be thinking of the 109 that crossed the gap in 1960 with two Jeeps.
In any case no, I'm not saying the RR wasn't capable. The ones used by Blashford-Snell's team were vastly overloaded, so it wouldn't be a fair comparison anyway. Rather it was just a tongue-in-cheek comment about RR's needing an 88 to rescue them.

Last edited:

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
This type of comment only serves to degrade the integrity of this site. Why don't the moderators moderate??

I don't mean to pick on you in particular Mike, it looks like there are a few members here of this caliber.

What about R_Levebre's comment: "If you're really brave, maybe you'll drive across Africa with it. It is NOT meant for the sorts of "hey watch this y'all" antics that Americans tend to do."

He is making a degrading statement about Americans. Are you all upset about that? I could care less when people make derogatory comments, but let's be consistent here.

To me, the LR3 represents the death of the brand, along with the LR2 and Freelander. Sorry if my comments are insulting to an inanimate object.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
To me, the LR3 represents the death of the brand, along with the LR2 and Freelander.
For me it was the DII, because that was the first step towards the LR3, with help from the Freelander and RR.
But that's just me. I don't really think it's the death of the brand, just a real change in direction. When people consider the number and placement of cup holders in their buying decision, it's apparent there isn't the demand for solid axle Land Rovers. People want the image of Land Rover, driving across the desert, the jungles of Africa, and all that, but have no desire to actually do that. They want 4WD to get them to the ski resort and back.

When I interviewed for a sales job at a dealership in '92 I failed my mock interview because I focused on the actual capabilities and heritage of Land Rovers. The manager said people weren't interested in that, they wanted to hear about it will make them look to others. And that's the direction Land Rover has chosen.

Obviously there owners who are exceptions, but that's Land Rover's direction.

edit to correct the date.

Last edited:

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
The suspension did fail, I didnt cause it , but I sure am going to do my best to let people know about it.

Its also not my job to figure out without question how it happened.

when the product is clearly inferior, you go after the messenger. Try to invalidate the enthusiast to distract from the obvious.

while obviously LR3 biased, at least nwoods can be 'objective' about it and he owns one. I got a little interested after nwoods in another thread but sorry, this is fundamentally NOT a suv to be used offroad. LR3's are Honda Pilots or MDX with a more aggressive ABS software.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
LR3's are Honda Pilots or MDX with a more aggressive ABS software.

I'm sorry, but this is one of the most ignorant and uneducated opinions I have read in this thread. Please review the photo below and tell me how the V8 engine, 6 speed auto, chain driven two speed transfer case, long travel air suspension, and locking rear diff compare to a Honda Pilot or Acura MDX.

Not to mention the massive steel frame.

image7.jpg

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I can't see the frame under all that but if it's anywhere as good as the suspension, I'm sure it will last at least 45K miles.

michaelgroves

Explorer
when the product is clearly inferior, you go after the messenger

... sorry, this is fundamentally NOT a suv to be used offroad. LR3's are Honda Pilots or MDX with a more aggressive ABS software.

I don't think this is a useful contribution to this thread. The LR3 has its weaknesses, like all other vehicles, but there is sufficient evidence and opinion from several experienced people on this forum (and in the wide world) to the effect that they are very capable off-road. You might not like them, fair enough, but using phrases like "the product is clearly inferior" is just trolling.

I think pretty much everyone has agreed that the suspension failure that started this thread is worth keeping an eye on, to see if it becomes a common fault on older vehicles. Beyond that, it's just argumentative to keep venting your spleen over a vehicle you don't even own!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior