LR3 with only 45K has major failure

TeriAnn

Explorer
This type of comment only serves to degrade the integrity of this site. Why don't the moderators moderate??

I suspect that like me they are too busy rolling on the floor laughing at the posts.

Actually this thread does serve as a magnet for postings by the people who like to be contrary, petty, mean spirited and those who know just enough about the subject to be dangerous to their own reputations. If it keeps the other threads quieter and more peaceful, I suggest that you keep at each other's egos and have a rollicking jolly time.

Personally,I don't know anything about LR3s so will not participate. Unlike many others with a similar knowledge of LR3's. I was just curious as to what there was to talk about for this many pages so decided to take a look.

Have a wonderful time folks! :ar15: :smilies27 :littlefriend: :violent-smiley-031:
:pROFSheriffHL: :gunt: :REOutShootinghunter :Wow1: :mixed-smiley-030: :xxrotflma

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I have a good friend who is an italian and brittish car enthusiast/mechanic for the past 20+ years. He says LR has been re-using various componates that were proved to be faulty on previous models, and they continue to use them on newer model designs. It is not uncommon for his customers to have the same exact part replaced evry 30-40k miles. Basically any newer land rover is junk for the most part in comparison to the hey days of LR.

I'm sorry your friend is absolutely clueless about the subject, obviously. I'm really restraining myself from calling him a complete moron.

Please, ask him to name me ONE single part that is used on the LR3 that was used on older vehicles. Fasteners excepted.

kjp1969

Explorer
Sorry to get back to the facts here. . .

But how do we know (I mean KNOW) that the suspension failure caused the accident instead of vice versa? That pic of the blown out sleeve looks a lot like what you would expect from hitting a curb at high speed rather than something just letting go on a flat, smooth roadway.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Sorry to get back to the facts here. . .

But how do we know (I mean KNOW) that the suspension failure caused the accident instead of vice versa? That pic of the blown out sleeve looks a lot like what you would expect from hitting a curb at high speed rather than something just letting go on a flat, smooth roadway.

Yes, exactly. We don't know either way, really. It's pretty much impossible that it failed suddenly. It would have had to have slowly torn, which would leave specific markings in the fracture. Of course, the evidence is gone, so we'll never know. I really don't understand how people let this happen. That guy will likely have a "single vehicle at-fault accident" on his record now. He should have really made a big stink about it if he's suggesting the part failed spontaneously. The fact that he didn't raises questions.

I'm no saying it didn't happen. I have seen failed suspensions where people don't bother reporting to the NHTSA. I never understand that. Then you get whiney people who will write in to the NHTSA to complain about dealer service...

kjp1969

Explorer
Yes, exactly. We don't know either way, really. It's pretty much impossible that it failed suddenly. It would have had to have slowly torn, which would leave specific markings in the fracture. Of course, the evidence is gone, so we'll never know. I really don't understand how people let this happen. That guy will likely have a "single vehicle at-fault accident" on his record now. He should have really made a big stink about it if he's suggesting the part failed spontaneously. The fact that he didn't raises questions.

I'm no saying it didn't happen. I have seen failed suspensions where people don't bother reporting to the NHTSA. I never understand that. Then you get whiney people who will write in to the NHTSA to complain about dealer service...

I've seen, time and again, where someone blames mechanical failure for a single vehicle accident (Audi 5000 unintended acceleration, anyone? Ford Explorer rollovers?). I'm not saying that's what happened here, but real failure analysis would have to be a lot more certain and scientific before blaming the design or a part for this accident.

Teamjeff

Observer
What about R_Levebre's comment: "If you're really brave, maybe you'll drive across Africa with it. It is NOT meant for the sorts of "hey watch this y'all" antics that Americans tend to do."

He is making a degrading statement about Americans. Are you all upset about that? I could care less when people make derogatory comments, but let's be consistent here.

To me, the LR3 represents the death of the brand, along with the LR2 and Freelander. Sorry if my comments are insulting to an inanimate object.

Mike, thank you for you concern but I'm not upset about anything said here. My point is that when people make comments about things that they obviously have no experience with it only serves to degrade the forum. No one wants to wade through insults, arguing, and misleading information.

Why can't be respectful of others here and conduct our selves as if we were speaking in person?

Teamjeff

Observer
Ever seen the lca's on 05 Ford Expedition? Seriously HD cast aluminum, enormous bolts, obviously over built.

michaelgroves

Explorer
Ever seen the lca's on 05 Ford Expedition? Seriously HD cast aluminum, enormous bolts, obviously over built.

Erm... "overbuilt" is not an engineering virtue, by definition.

And I'll say it just once more, for those who haven't got it yet: this incident was a single event that says nothing about the design of the part or the vehicle as a whole. We don't even know what the cause was. It plays to the prejudices of those who don't like LR3s in principle, just as any one-off failures were gleefully seized upon by detractors of early Range Rover Classics. Every marque and model has odd failures, and anyone (or their expert friend) can say what they please about the look of a design - the only real proof is in the real world statistics.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Mike, thank you for you concern but I'm not upset about anything said here. My point is that when people make comments about things that they obviously have no experience with it only serves to degrade the forum. No one wants to wade through insults, arguing, and misleading information.

Why can't be respectful of others here and conduct our selves as if we were speaking in person?

I am conducting myself online exactly as I conduct myself when speaking man to man. I don't sugar coat things so that I will avoid hurting somebody's feelings. The people on this forum that have actually met me would vouch for that, I'm sure.

No experience? That is good stuff. So if I had an LR3 and made the exact same comments, would they have more credibility? I have owned a Discovery since 2000 and have enough experience to know that a stamped steel suspension arm just isn't going to cut it over the long haul getting banged around. The Discovery has a poorly designed trailing arm for the rear axle. Over the long haul, they will get bent and fail. Fortunately, there are a bunch of fabricators that make bulletproof replacements.

One can only hope that these fabricators will recognize the potential market for the LR3 and come up with a replacement.

Teamjeff

Observer
I have owned a Discovery since 2000
Well, then it's obvious you have the experience needed to determine that the stamped steel isn't going to cut it offroad (BTW, I don't disagree) & that the LR3 is nothing but a nice minivan that can barely go offroad! :)

I really am glad to hear your just as opinionated in person! Seriously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior