LRover vs LCruiser?

bohemianjsr

FYI, Mexico is not a Toyota Parts friendly marketplace, as they are hard to find locally. You may have to carry a good amount of spare parts while travelling. But, I am sure you would buy a rig that is up the PM before you start your tirp.

Here are more reasons to get a Land Cruiser:

Jennifer Aniston type, girl next door looks, so not too much lurking by other men
never complaints, is grateful to be taken out and ridden hard
Only one cup holder for the Bud lite

Here are the reasons to get a Rover:
Angelina Jolie looks, must get old to see that many men lurking at your woman
My grandfather hunted Rhinos with the Fitzgeralds blue blood lineage
More cup holders for the Dijon Mustard
Gin and Tonics served on the veranda

:)

H

Hank

I have not viewed this thread in some time now. Its become pretty comical. I'm loving it!

Toyota or bust. Haha.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
IMO you'd be best of with truck type vehicle of either one, Defender 110 (or 130) if a Land Rover. If you're buying it in North America I'll have to agree on a Toyota.
But I'm inclined to suggest you get your vehicle in the UK and ship it, provided finanaces allow, for a number of reasons. You can pick out the vehicle yourself. You can see it kitted out exactly the way you want. Photos are great, but not like sitting in during fitting and saying, "No, I don't like this, I want it over there." You can look at something and decide if it needs replacing, rebuilding or ignoring. For all of these things, plus a lot more, if you have it built here, unless you have a lot of extra time, you're relying nearly 100% on someone else's opinion/judgement. Likely someone you have no personal knowlege of. You'll be spending a lot of money on phone calls.
It'll cost the same to ship a Land Rover or Land Cruiser, so it comes down to costs to buy and outfit a vehicle there. One thing about geting a Land Rover in the UK is you can get one without all the faff like electric windows, carpet and other things that you probably don't want in an expedition vehicle. I'd do the same if I got a Land Cruiser.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
...One thing about geting a Land Rover in the UK is you can get one without all the faff like electric windows, carpet and other things that you probably don't want in an expedition vehicle. I'd do the same if I got a Land Cruiser...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but being in the UK, does he not also have access to a 7X Series Troupy with the Povery pack??? Game over IMO.

I agree with you though that being in the UK means access to the BEST Rovers, IE: No-Electrics, Diesel, Etc. Those stats would certaionly make a Rover less of a reliability concern than the versions we got here in the States...

Cheers

Dave

Jwestpro

Explorer
jisa897 said:
Any capable expedition vehicle will use a lot of fuel, and the same vehicle in diesel will use 30% less. Right now in the USA, diesel costs about 30% more-so the savings are a bit of a wash.

Not true, diesel has been less than premium lately, maybe you meant so much less than base level ?

cruiser guy

Explorer
FYI, Mexico is not a Toyota Parts friendly marketplace, as they are hard to find locally. You may have to carry a good amount of spare parts while travelling. But, I am sure you would buy a rig that is up the PM before you start your tirp.

True, Mexico does not have a large Toyota presence for the older models though things are improving for the newer models. I personally think that for any expedition type vehicle a set of hoses and belts are a minimum as is all preventative maintenance. We have had to get wheel studs for the LandCruiser near Arriaga, Chiapas which we got within an hour of looking (correct diameter, length and thread).

Land Rover on the other hand....

....has no presence at all!

Check out this thread http://www.adventurefamily.ca/CurrentTrip.htm for what one can expect drving a Rover in Mexico! Pay attention to Jan 3 and later (but don't skip the start of the trip though)!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior