MB 1217A RV update thread - Big Foot

Joe

Observer
Hi,

As mentioned already in another thread I offered to inform you about modifications and updates. Whilst the last weeks I spent every weekend in the garage and here you can see the result: A new Update.

Here a pic of the "garage" of Big Foot with the new "dinghy":
2009_01_Suzi_04.jpg.JPG

@Admins: In case you think that this isn't the right place for that thread pls. feel to move it – but you do pls. send me a just short notice to where for future updates – thx very much.

Hope you enjoy it

Last edited:

4x4 explorer

Observer
Joe,
I'd be very interested in motorcycle carrier you are fabricating. How you will attach carrier to vehicle, how you will raise and lower from vehicle to ground, and what method you will use to attach motorcycle to carrier. Pictures of carrier with and without motorcycle would be appreciated. I'm presently trying to sort out a carrier for my own camper. I plan to use a 24v electric hoist to lift my KTM 640 Adventure S into a carrier mounted on the back of the camper box. The attached picture shows the rear with an overhang to mount the hoist. Anyone else out there with a similiar arrangement...jump in.
Roger

Joe

Observer
Hi,

uuuups :yikes:, sorry, thought that I had uploaded the english version but just spotted that I haven't so far uploaded the translated version - sorry for any confusion. :oops:

I prommise to upload tonight (German timing - I am working the long Easter weekend on other things on Big Foot) and hopefully then it will be selfexplaining. :Wow1:

Joe

Observer
Hi,

OK, translated version is uploaded - sorry again. In case there are still questions pls. do not hesitate to ask.

Re other solution for carrying motorcycles the page from Chris shows an interesting and very good solution: Go here! Chris page is not in English but the pics are self-explaining.

@Admins: In case you decide that this is more a technical thing and should be in another part of the forum, please split so that I can continue to use this thread for updates - thx for understanding.:victory:

Joe

Observer
Hi,

did some re-work on the electric system, if you are interested pls. click here.

A pic of the 230V installation (patch panel) in the control board ...
2009_04_Elektrik_04.jpg.JPG

... and the new automatic cut-outs just as an example:
2009_05_Elektrik_01.JPG

4x4 explorer

Observer
Joe, If you have some additional pictures with different views of your motorcycle carrier I would be interested in seeing them. Also showing attachments to hold motorcycle in carrier. I know how I want to lift and attach carrier at rear of truck, but I'm sorting out options on actual design of carrier and tie down attachments. Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Observer
Hi 4x4 Explorer,

no prob, for explanation pls. go to the website, link at the end, if you want more pics pls. let me know, didn't wanted to overstress my HP nor this forum :ylsmoke::
2009_01_Suzi_07.jpg.JPG

2009_01_Suzi_10.jpg.JPG

2009_01_Suzi_12.jpg.JPG

2009_01_Suzi_09.jpg.JPG

2009_01_Suzi_08.jpg.JPG

2009_01_Suzi_14.jpg.JPG

2009_01_Suzi_15.jpg.JPG

And as written above you can find the full story incl. description here.

4x4 explorer

Observer
Joe, Thank you very much for the additional photo's. Originally I was planning on just lifting and securing with web straps, but I really like the fixture you've built to secure the bike. I will build something along the same lines. Since mine will be connected to the outside rear it will end up looking different than yours. But, you've inspired me to go with a cage and possibly connect side frame of cage to frame points on bike so it can't move in the cage.
The exchange of ideas and information is appreciated.

D

Deleted member 9101

Incredible build. Also, thank you for translating your website to English.

4x4 explorer

Observer
Joe, Thanks again for the motorcycle rack idea. I've attached a picture of the completed rack built to haul my KTM 640.

Attachments

• Unimog ideas 293.jpg
    Unimog ideas 293.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Unimog ideas 290.JPG
    Unimog ideas 290.JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 129

Joe

Observer
Hi Explorer,

looks solid. :victory:

Have you connected your construction to the frame of the truck or at least directly to the support frame of the cabine? Hope so, because I unfortunately read from several guys who thought their construction is strong enough and the bad or dessert roads ruined sooner or later due to the permanent vibrations.

4x4 explorer

Observer
Joe, There are two square receivers welded into the frame which square tube frame bracket slips into. Once inserted each receiver has lock bolts to hold it in. On the back of the cabin I've reinforced an area for a bracket that connects the motorcycle rack to the cabin. In addition to those, I leave the hoist cable connected with a small amount of slack as a safety line if any part should fail. If you have any suggestions beyond what I've done I'd be interested.
I see that you are in Germany. I have been unsuccessful in finding some metric brass fittings here in the USA. I have an air tank with a male 12mm
1.5 fitting that I'd like to find a female coupler or "T" to connect an adapter
from 12mm 1.5 to 1/4 NPT. I've tried every US source I could GOOGLE. Is there a source in Germany for such fittings. I can find the adapter, but not a fitting with female metric threads. I'd prefer a "T" fitting, but could make do with a straight coupler. Any help from Germany would be appreciated.
Roger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan