MB 1217A RV update thread - Big Foot

Joe

Observer
Hi Roger,

Mike / Freeclimber, member of the forum above and with two posts to that issue just gave me a call:
An adapter from Metric to Imperial seems to be not available.

He has a friend who has his own company and can build something for you in a professional way. BUT this adapter can / should normally be built by everybody who can braze professionally by brazing a metric and an imperial thread together.

OK, in case you want to have it from a German company the handling is as follows: Pls. prepare a technical drawing with dimension (depth of female thread, 1/4" thread female or male??, which length, sealing how [rubber, ...]).
The drawing can be just by pen, scan it and send it either to me by email or directly to Mike.
He will then pass the drawing over to his friend who will make an offer.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
we regularly have to do international plumbing in stainless steel

we just use for example a 12mm thread to 1/4" Tube and then 1/4" tube to the desired thread.

In brass I'd just use a solder fitting on both ends and a piece of 1/2" tube soldered in the middle.

most solder fittings are loose fit ie 12mm fitting and 1/2" tube..drill to suit

4x4 explorer

Observer
Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought I'd try the easy route first, figuring if I can buy NPT brass "T" at any automotive store in USA, a person in Germany could do likewise for the same type fitting with metric threads.
If I can't buy an off the shelf fitting I'll make one by cobbling two together or use the test valve that I took off, turn it down on a lathe and re-thread it on the male end with 1/4" or 3/8" NPT and go from there. Thanks again to all.

I see that you are in Germany. I have been unsuccessful in finding some metric brass fittings here in the USA. I have an air tank with a male 12mm
1.5 fitting that I'd like to find a female coupler or "T" to connect an adapter
from 12mm 1.5 to 1/4 NPT. I've tried every US source I could GOOGLE. Is there a source in Germany for such fittings. I can find the adapter, but not a fitting with female metric threads. I'd prefer a "T" fitting, but could make do with a straight coupler. Any help from Germany would be appreciated.
Roger

http://www.britishmetrics.com/

They might be helpful.

Charlie

DzlToy

Explorer
have you tried McMaster Carr, Grainger or Fastenal? I cant imagine one of them not having it. Google is not very good for that type of thing. You need to find a local plumbing shop or an industrial trade wholesaler or retailer that has contacts to one or more large suppliers.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
have you tried McMaster Carr, Grainger or Fastenal? I cant imagine one of them not having it. Google is not very good for that type of thing.

Dang, you beat me by that much! haha That is what I was going to suggest.

Back to the OP

I really like the garage idea. I wonder if some of the others out there have ever considered enclosing their external lift. Like Chris's Hilde-EVOlution truck or Roger's truck, is that something you considered, Joe? Or did you always just want the garage idea?

The only reason I ask is it seems like you have to give up a lot of what could have been internal space to have that set up.

Very cool idea, just seems like I would be more jealous of my space that it seems many expedition trucks are.

Anyhow, a very nice build idea. I really like the way you have the lift set up. It seems really simple, and easy to deal with.

Thanks for sharing

Brian

4x4 explorer

Observer
Charlie, thanks for that source I'll give them a call. I actually did try the others mentioned. I buy a lot of stuff from McMaster-Carr. In fact they do have the adapter, which gets you from a male 12mm/1.5 to a female 1/4". What I need is the coupler or a "T" as the tank fitting is male 12mm/1.5. With a metric double female that would get me there. One of my local contacts has ordered two fittings that may work. One fitting is female 12mm/1,5 to British male, second one is British female to male NPT.

Joe

Observer
Hi Brian,

you are absolutely correct, it costs a lot of space to have the Suzi in the garage.
BUT: I don't know if you ever have read about people traveling in Africa, Marocco especially. It seems to be in some areas a "game" of young guys to enter trucks, RV's etc. from the "rich" countries. Never heard that anybody really finally managed to get into the cabin but what I had read and heard was scary. They are waiting at crossroads in cities where you have to stop or drive slowly and then try to enter mainly from the rear of the truck to get into the cabin and steel (?) things while you are re-starting in case you didn't realize it. So a motorcycle or anything at the rear which can be used as a climbing support was for me a no-go.

Furthermore: The backside of a truck is what gets dirty first. I have to admit that I am "lazy" and prefer to spend weeks to finally save some minutes regular efforts (pls. refer to the story with the "ventian blinds" :Wow1:). When I stop and want / have to use the motorcycle it should be as quick and eady as possible to start - and not to spend 1/4 hour to clean the motorcycle first.

But everybody is different. I was lucky that I have he size of truck and planned right from the beginning to have that space available. :ylsmoke:

Joe

Observer
Hi,

the story goes on, batteries and electricity, trailer with BDFContainer

2010_01_Anhaenger_01.JPG

storge boxe(s) made out of PE
2010_01_Staukasten_02_montiert.JPG

plus more for those who are interested here.

Joe

Observer
Hi,

the biggest problem is the effect of the heat which bends the material similar to steel where the welding heat may bend the metal. Because you cannot give it the required shape by a hammer e.g. you either have to have a lot of experience (which I don't have yet!), or to add struts to keep it in the position.
The next box which is currently under construction has a triangular shape with a length of 1,6 meter at the longest side and here some of the parts have bended whislt the welding process. So I will try to eliminate that in the next step where some layers of the material will be added - when doing that I will force a straight line by applying on top a massive piece of wood. So I hope that the heat will push it back and once everything has cooled down again it will stay straigt.

Joe

Observer
Hi,

have written down the progress of the last 2 months. To give you a short impression two out of several pics, here one of the two new storage boxes:
2010_04_Staukisten_01_hi_re.JPG

plus from the awning:
2010_04_Sonnenssegeltaukisten_03_mit%20Querstrebe.JPG

Who wants to see or read more please hit here. Enjoy it!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thank you, Joe, for the many pictures and fine explanations. It is very interesting and helpful to see how you have designed and built different systems. The effort you've gone to to share this information is much appreciated.

Joe

Observer
Hi,

finally I get to the end

- OK, OK, let’s wait and see! :coffee: :)

This is the update-link.

And as usual some photos attached, here the BDF-Container (European special [??] outside dimension) from outside,
2010_05_Container_09.JPG

And from inside:
2010_05_Container_10.JPG

The new fridge:
2010_06_Kuehlschrank_neu_01.JPG

and the solar installation:
2010_06_Solar_03.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan