MCObray's 1997 Subaru Outback.

MCObray

Explorer
I always enjoy documentation when it comes to vehicles, especially through forums... so, as I added a few more modifications, I felt a "build thread" or personal documentation was warranted. Here it goes!
I've had two previous build threads on this site; 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ and 2000 Toyota 4Runner Highlander. Both were exceptional vehicles that are dearly missed to this day, but I like to try new things for what it seems like every other years so we will see how long this Outback last!

'99 Jeep XJ by Bucky Images, on Flickr

'00 Toyota 4Runner Highlander. by Bucky Images, on Flickr
I like my vehicles clean, if you could not tell. Shortly after the sale of my T4R, I knew I wanted a vehicle with some decent ground clearance, AWD, and MPGs in the mid 20s. Within a few weeks, I stumbled upon a 1997 Subaru Outback in Portland. I checked it out; all maintenance records and receipts there, new Michelin Tires, and low mileage for this generation of Outback... sold.

'97 Subaru Legacy Outback. by Bucky Images, on Flickr

'97 Subaru Legacy Outback. by Bucky Images, on Flickr

MCObray

Explorer
The first line of business that I wanted to take care of was some more coverage on the Mudflaps. I ordered a set from RokBlokz.
998973_728056160544190_35332170_n_zpsa3ba92df.jpg

Poser shots.

IMG_8012 by Bucky Images, on Flickr

'97 Subaru Outback. by Bucky Images, on Flickr
Roof rack.
photo5_zpsf690ab18.jpg

Picked up a set of front and rear 3/16" Primitive Racing skid plates off Craigslist for $80.
photo-26_zpscd54ce85.jpg

Installed at Primitive in Tigard.
photo3_zps773efc92.jpg

photo1_zpsb4244391.jpg

photo2_zps96143757.jpg

Alternator died.
photo_zps2155caf4.jpg

New Alternator from the Subaru dealership.
photo2_zps8ecaa55b.jpg

Wheels painted Graphite Grey.

The Lez. by Bucky Images, on Flickr
That now brings ya'll up to speed. This Subaru has been solid, averaging about 25 MPGs and provided good comfort around town.

DJGoo

Too much WoW
Love it. Yeah, definitely probably most likely my favorite car of all time. That one has still has the DOHC, right? I love the engine, more torque than the SOHC they put in the '98. How do you like it?

MCObray

Explorer
Nice toy. Keep it up.

Thanks, it's been a pleasure to own.

Love it. Yeah, definitely probably most likely my favorite car of all time. That one has still has the DOHC, right? I love the engine, more torque than the SOHC they put in the '98. How do you like it?

Yeah, I've really come into liking this car... good thing I don't have the funds for an '06 STI (my first "dream car"), a '07 Spec-B Legacy, or a '06-'08 Forester 2.5XT Sport... what a great two years of models that I would like to own.

Back on topic, yes this one has the DOHC. I am enjoying it... nice little pep and gets decent gas mileage. I'm really enjoying the extra ground clearance this Outback gives you. At first glance, I did not think much about it, but as boating season dissipated into the Fall, my attention began more geared toward this vehicle and I started to pick up a few odds n' end of this vehicle. I can't wait to travel down some gravel/snow covered roads!

madmax718

Explorer
the DOHC is notorious for head gasket eating. Something to consider doing if it hasn't been done. The SOHC also leaks, but they are external leaks, not internal leaks like the DOHC. The latest is a 3 layer gasket variant IIRC.

This is inspiring me to fix up my old outback. same year and color. But yours is a heck of a lot better shape!

cosmiccharlie

Explorer
the DOHC is notorious for head gasket eating. Something to consider doing if it hasn't been done. The SOHC also leaks, but they are external leaks, not internal leaks like the DOHC. The latest is a 3 layer gasket variant IIRC.

The SOHC can develop internal headgasket leaks also. My 99 2.5RS did with no external leaks present. It's a pretty easy job on those engines.

madmax718

Explorer
lol define easy. SOHC can be done in car. DOHC needs the motor removed. Not necessarily the most fun thing. Preventing the valve cover from leaking is probably the most annoying part. I've got a valve cover leak on mine, even after new seals. Im tempted to just put a coat of rtv on top of the gasket.

cosmiccharlie

Explorer
That is true, however it's also fairly "easy" to pull those engines too. Assuming you have the space, hoist, knowledge and proper tools. I got pretty good at it. Pulled the stock motor three times. Once for clutch, then for headgasket, then for swap. Swapped in a V5 STi motor and pulled it once for headgasket. I really want that car back! Should never have sold it. My old thread below if you are interested.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t68635-992-5rs-s-quicksilver.html

MCObray

Explorer
What prep work did you put into painting the rims, and what kind of paint did you use?

I cleaned them really well and applied 3 coats of black Plasti-dip and another 3 coats of VHT Graphite Grey wheel paint. I still have the option of peeling it off in the future, albeit might be a little more tough to get off but it will, but I really dig the look! It took me just a few hours. I waiting 12-15 minute between each coat.

This is inspiring me to fix up my old outback. same year and color. But yours is a heck of a lot better shape!

Thanks for the heads up. I was made aware of this when I began looking and made sure all major maintenance work was done. With that, this was replaced; head gasket, reseal cam cases, relpace seals, new O Rings, V cover gaskets, intake gaskets and inspect cams, belts, oil pump, engine baffle plate, timing belt, axles serviced, wheel bearings, and alignment. All work was done at Carr Subaru in Beaverton, OR. as of 09/2012. I will continue to be anal and check for any leaks anytime I pop the hood, nonetheless.

You should fix 'er up, if you've got the time and money. I really like the look of these, as compared to the 2nd Gen Outback.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78