MCObray's 1997 Subaru Outback.

MCObray

Explorer
Ok, well, got the lights mounted up! Utilized some 3/16", I believe, steel and bent into an L Shape at 90 degree angles. I can do a write-up if need be, but i'll let the pictures do the talking. If ya'll have any questions, just let me know!
Getting started:
01_zps81643842.jpg

Self tapping screws into this hard plastic.
03_zpsd6d3432a.jpg

Light mounted.
111_zpsee797f9d.jpg

Lights mounted:
444_zps30a412fb.jpg

Utilizing some Wiring Loom:
555_zpsfbbcc004.jpg

Switch location:
photo3_zpse7b7ce42.jpg

Grill inserted:
photo1_zps85e33b0a.jpg

Grill inserted:
photo2_zpsafb6f536.jpg

Finishing up:
photo33_zpsc0f55598.jpg

MCObray

Explorer
These are great!!!

They're awesome, and only run anywhere from $50-70 off Amazon. If/when my fog lights go, i'll definitely would consider strongly replacing them with another set of these. I have had the Hella 500 driving pattern, and these 500FFs blow them out of the water.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
photo (3).jpg

I think that your way of mounting is much better (cheaper) than a 300$ light bar, but I'm not sure how I'd do it on mine. Maybe inside the rectangular portion of the lower section of the bumper. Whatcha think?

Hodaka

Adventurer
Has anyone here tried doing a relay harness on one of these? I have a 1997 as well, considering doing it.

MCObray

Explorer
That looks great, I need to get on this for my subaru

Thanks! Love 'em. Such a joy to able to see at night.

Has anyone here tried doing a relay harness on one of these? I have a 1997 as well, considering doing it.

Relay Harness... I just utilized what came with the Hella 500FF kit. Are you trying to upgrade bulbs, and wanting a HD relay to support the extra wattage?

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
Ok, well, got the lights mounted up! Utilized some 3/16", I believe, steel and bent into an L Shape at 90 degree angles. I can do a write-up if need be, but i'll let the pictures do the talking. If ya'll have any questions, just let me know!
Getting started:
Self tapping screws into this hard plastic.
03_zpsd6d3432a.jpg

photo33_zpsc0f55598.jpg

Nice and simple! Well done. I'd suggest triangulating those screws. As they are, you've got a bit of a fulcrum/pivot setup.

So are the hella 500FFS are a driving (when compared to fog) pattern?

I had a set from another forum, but they arrived with a shattered lens :( Refund was no problem, but I lost the wind in my sails on that one.
these look good, and less costly than the slimlite KCs I had my soul set on for years. . . . . and STILL haven't purchased :-/

MCObray

Explorer
Nice and simple! Well done. I'd suggest triangulating those screws. As they are, you've got a bit of a fulcrum/pivot setup.

So are the hella 500FFS are a driving (when compared to fog) pattern?

I had a set from another forum, but they arrived with a shattered lens :( Refund was no problem, but I lost the wind in my sails on that one.
these look good, and less costly than the slimlite KCs I had my soul set on for years. . . . . and STILL haven't purchased :-/

Triangulating the screws?

"Modern Free Form (FF) lighting technology perfectly coordinates the shape of the reflector with the light source, producing the most efficient possible light output." I believe both the driving and fog are available with the Modern Free Form, but mine specifically are the 500 Fog w/ FF.

That's a bummer. I love Hella Products, and have had Hella 500s, as well as IPF 968s, and these are by my most favorite sets of light (500FFs)... they out perform both of them, in my opinion. The only thing I would change is going with a thicker gauge of metal on the mounts themselves. I have experienced a light shake on really degraded roads, but in town and on highway, they are stable and do not have a shaking effect.

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
triangulating: add a third screw to form a mounting plane with three (truiangulated) screws. as-is they are linear not planar, thus they 'could' pivot along that line, but with three mounting points the mounting is a plane not a line. Maybe through a spacer (heck, even bolt through the spacer to add security) to bridge the gap to the bumper .75-1" fore of those two screws?
Its probably just theory and they'll be fine as it, but wind resistance always pushing back on that sail of a vertical plane, in time (in theory) it could weaken the mounting and add a front-back pivot motion to the existing mounting.

does that make sense?

I just googled the 500ff and found them on amazon for like $68 :sombrero:

I have some clear,rectalgle KC fogs down low and have wanted a pair of round driving light pattern for up on top of my bumper for....9 years. maybe its just time to pull that trigger! ;)

thanks for sharing your set-up...impetus might just have been reached!

Hodaka

Adventurer
Relay Harness... I just utilized what came with the Hella 500FF kit. Are you trying to upgrade bulbs, and wanting a HD relay to support the extra wattage?

Whoa! Missed the reply. I meant a relay harness on the stock lights. Come to think of I, can't recall if I meant fog or headlights?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78