Mid-size vs Full-size truck setup

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I took my boys camping, as I recall, they were most interested in learning outdoor skills around 10 to 12 years old. At 14 they knew it all. @Todd n Natalie

As they got older they were more interested in boating and fishing, hiking, riding bikes or a thumper and staying in a cabin or motel.

But, the youngest will be over later today, he'll be driving his new Bronco and treating his ole' pop to the Moore Expo this afternoon. Yahoooo!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I took my boys camping, as I recall, they were most interested in learning outdoor skills around 10 to 12 years old. At 14 they knew it all. @Todd n Natalie

As they got older they were more interested in boating and fishing, hiking, riding bikes or a thumper and staying in a cabin or motel.

But, the youngest will be over later today, he'll be driving his new Bronco and treating his ole' pop to the Moore Expo this afternoon. Yahoooo!
Guessing Mother Nature wasn't competing with Iphones that had SnapChat & InstaGram when you camped with your boys? lol

Sounds like a good way to spend a day! Enjoy the outing with your boy!

TexasSixSeven

Observer
You "parental types" should consider going camping alone as a couple and just take your dog, dogs love to go and drop the kids off at the grandparents place!

If kids want to camp out, put them in the backyard.

Simple solution, no additional tents, less food, no toys (unless momma wants Her's), more quiet time in nature as it should be. Kids shouldn't go camping with mom and dad until they are at least ten years old, dogs can be much younger.
I can’t imagine being so selfish that you leave your kids at home for one of the few joys in life that’s actually good for them!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I can’t imagine being so selfish that you leave your kids at home for one of the few joys in life that’s actually good for them!
Sorry to hear your kids have had only a few joys in their young lives that were good for them.
Intentionally misstating the facts to support your demented personal attack is simply obtuse, my kids never stayed at home, or can you not read?

Boys would rather go to the ranch than go "camping".

Grandparent's Ranch: The boys got to ride horses, fish a private pond, swim in the pool or in the river, go shooting with grandpa, as they got a bit older, go hunting, ride minibikes, motorcycles, drive the buggy, they actually enjoyed doing chores on the ranch like feeding and brushing the horses. (I do recall them complaining about cleaning out the stalls). AND, when their Uncle Bob came by, sometimes they'd get to go flying in his Cessna 162. Over a half section (360 acres) of land to "CAMP" on. My favorite spot there was what we called the "bunkhouse" more like an open room apartment, bath, kitchenette, open room, pool table, fireplace and TV. (My father-in-law used it for his office).

Now, go drag your kids through some mud hole in West Texas and tell them they are having fun! L. M. A. O. AT U

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Guessing Mother Nature wasn't competing with Iphones that had SnapChat & InstaGram when you camped with your boys? lol

Sounds like a good way to spend a day! Enjoy the outing with your boy!
Our camping in the 70's was in Europe, it was the 80's when we'd take trips in the US, most trips included motels, the Ranch outings were the best "outings". It's only been the last ten years we've been traveling and going without kids, mine are grown, I'd bet about your age. :)

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Sorry to hear your kids have had only a few joys in their young lives that were good for them.
Intentionally misstating the facts to support your demented personal attack is simply obtuse, my kids never stayed at home, or can you not read?

Boys would rather go to the ranch than go "camping".

Grandparent's Ranch: The boys got to ride horses, fish a private pond, swim in the pool or in the river, go shooting with grandpa, as they got a bit older, go hunting, ride minibikes, motorcycles, drive the buggy, they actually enjoyed doing chores on the ranch like feeding and brushing the horses. (I do recall them complaining about cleaning out the stalls). AND, when their Uncle Bob came by, sometimes they'd get to go flying in his Cessna 162. Over a half section (360 acres) of land to "CAMP" on. My favorite spot there was what we called the "bunkhouse" more like an open room apartment, bath, kitchenette, open room, pool table, fireplace and TV. (My father-in-law used it for his office).

Now, go drag your kids through some mud hole in West Texas and tell them they are having fun! L. M. A. O. AT U
Sounds like another lazy parent solution. Pawn em off on the family.

Congrats on thinking a full half section is an impressive amount of land. Lol

phsycle

Adventurer
@jaywo I’d set your alert to nationwide. Not a big deal to fly somewhere to pick up a new truck. Road trip in your new rig is fun!

Also consider getting something like a Lariat for a heavy discount, then getting some nice suspension (Icon, King) which will ride 500% better than stock Tremor, especially on those washboard roads.
Front LSD isn’t that big of a deal. Maybe helps in 0.5% of cases, if that. Get a front winch if you’re worried about that. But in places a full-size truck can fit, rear locker, winch and traction boards will get you as far as you can go. LSD won’t make a difference.

Lately, I’ve been thinking about a camper as well. If I go that route, I’ll get an FWC.

jaywo

Yea
@jaywo I’d set your alert to nationwide. Not a big deal to fly somewhere to pick up a new truck. Road trip in your new rig is fun!

Also consider getting something like a Lariat for a heavy discount, then getting some nice suspension (Icon, King) which will ride 500% better than stock Tremor, especially on those washboard roads.
Front LSD isn’t that big of a deal. Maybe helps in 0.5% of cases, if that. Get a front winch if you’re worried about that. But in places a full-size truck can fit, rear locker, winch and traction boards will get you as far as you can go. LSD won’t make a difference.

Lately, I’ve been thinking about a camper as well. If I go that route, I’ll get an FWC.
yeah I am looking at Lariats as well!
Tremor suspension is garbage, I would change those anyway. Currently in the wilderness, drove a bad trail at 50mph for almost an hour in the Bronco and couldn’t stop thinking the entire way about how a slow PITA it would be in a Van or a subaru.

I am starting to look for used Raptors as well for that reason. More expensive but holds value so might be a wash. It’s super wide that’s the main cons for me. But still not as wide as a Tune camper anyway so it’s only limiting at the tire track width.
The other cons is I don’t need a high output 450HP V6.

Give me a Tremor with Raptor style suspension, 35in tires, and the 2.7 V6 I have in the Bronco….
A 2024 tremor with high package is 78K. Raptor with same équipement is 80K….

With their only being a 2k price difference it really makes the additional suspension the raptor gets from the factory real tempting. I would look into what the raptor guys do to help payload if your honestly considering it which if your financing 2k is pennys a month, with a family a raptor is going to run out of payload quickly especially with you wanting to run a full camper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phsycle

Adventurer
Raptors will get you there quick but with a soft sprung suspension geared towards desert racing, it lacks payload. No way I’d put a camper back there. Maybe a lightweight GFC. But that’s tight for a family.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
With their only being a 2k price difference it really makes the additional suspension the raptor gets from the factory real tempting. I would look into what the raptor guys do to help payload if your honestly considering it which if your financing 2k is pennys a month, with a family a raptor is going to run out of payload quickly especially with you wanting to run a full camper

Seems an f-350 XL would serve better for the work at hand, especially humping a big slide in.

Yea

yeah I am looking at Lariats as well!
Tremor suspension is garbage, I would change those anyway. Currently in the wilderness, drove a bad trail at 50mph for almost an hour in the Bronco and couldn’t stop thinking the entire way about how a slow PITA it would be in a Van or a subaru.

I am starting to look for used Raptors as well for that reason. More expensive but holds value so might be a wash. It’s super wide that’s the main cons for me. But still not as wide as a Tune camper anyway so it’s only limiting at the tire track width.
The other cons is I don’t need a high output 450HP V6.

Give me a Tremor with Raptor style suspension, 35in tires, and the 2.7 V6 I have in the Bronco….
A 2024 tremor with high package is 78K. Raptor with same équipement is 80K….
A dealer near us had their first one on the lot. The salesman said it had a price tag of $119k, and was sold.😳

jaywo

I pulled the trigger on a slightly used 2023 F-150 Tremor so here is that. It fits nicely in the garage, until I put a camper on it then it will have to sleep in the street.
First « expensive » vehicle I buy used.

Slightly nervous because there is no way to know if the guy did the breaking properly, if he used 85 Octane or not which Ford prohibits in the manual (in Utah and Colorado they sell you 85 as regular, which is supposed to be fine for older engine but no good for new turbo engine, although new engine can pull timing to avoid knocking), and there is no way to know if he used 4H on the road (turns out a LOT of people I talk to have no idea you aren’t supposed to do that).
But appart from that it’s in pristine condition. So we are quite happy with the choice! Huge interior room, super quiet and nice inside.

Congratulations on your purchase! It seems like you made an informed decision and I hope the pickup does everything you need and a little more. You will have to start a build/trip thread so we can stay updated on how it does for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman