Mid-size vs Full-size truck setup

Dougnuts

I pulled the trigger on a slightly used 2023 F-150 Tremor so here is that. It fits nicely in the garage, until I put a camper on it then it will have to sleep in the street.
First « expensive » vehicle I buy used.

Slightly nervous because there is no way to know if the guy did the breaking properly, if he used 85 Octane or not which Ford prohibits in the manual (in Utah and Colorado they sell you 85 as regular, which is supposed to be fine for older engine but no good for new turbo engine, although new engine can pull timing to avoid knocking), and there is no way to know if he used 4H on the road (turns out a LOT of people I talk to have no idea you aren’t supposed to do that).
But appart from that it’s in pristine condition. So we are quite happy with the choice! Huge interior room, super quiet and nice inside.

Don't be nervous about what might have been, you're just paying a mental debt on something that may not have happened and may not happen in the future. I assume you have plenty of factory warranty remaining and extended warranties are available.

How many miles and what did it end up running you?

Pictures please! :)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Congrats on your purchase!

Wondering, does the Tremor have OEM equipment that improves the hauling aspects of a camper in the bed?

Yes, pics please.
No. The Tremor is an an off road package. Different hood, grille, front bash plate, possibly a different front diff is so optioned, couple off road 'modes'.

Basically Raptor = faster desert Prerunner style off roading & Tremor = Slower speed Trail type off roading.

Not 100 % but payload may be slightly less than a similarly equipped regular F150 due to the off road biased suspension. Don't quote me on that one though.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Not 100 % but payload may be slightly less than a similarly equipped regular F150 due to the off road biased suspension.

Don't quote me on that one though.
Well, I just did, and that's what I thought.

Happy for our new Ford owner, but I think I'll just keep my F-150 stock, I won't be rock crawling or racing off road (or on roads for that matter).

jaywo

Here it is in the garage. 10K miles, 8 months old 2023 model, paid 57K (72K MSRP window sticker), I think it’s a decent deal. Front Torsen differential and High Package.

I am gonna put Raptor Gen 1 Fox Racing shocks. That’s the deal of the century, found by some forum members on another forum. Basically compatible with the Tremor, but $600 only for a pair of high quality 2.5" remote reservoir position sensitive rear shocks is unheard of. The beauty is they are tuned for a steel gen 1 Raptor which was 400 lbs more over the rear axle. Going to be perfect with a light camper.

Up front I am thinking Bilstein 6112, I don’t see a better price / performance ratio, at $900 for a pair.

Stock the Tremor suspension are way too soft. I prefer the Bilstein digressive on the Bronco. More chatter than the tremor but less body roll and more control. So I think the combo of stiffer rear Fox + Bilstein 6112 (which are known to be stiffer than stock) will work well. If not enough I can add a RAS system in the rear.

My supposedly 35in tires (stock Sasquatch) the Bronco measure exactly 33.5in, and I measured the Tremor ones at 32.5. So 1/2in of difference for clearance, not sure I’ll upgrade until the existing ones wear out.

The previous owner hasn’t rotated the spare. I am wondering if with 10K miles on the 4 tires, the tread depth difference with the spare is too great and will cause issue. I think the standard is it should be less than 2/32 so I’ll measure.

The truck has a bed rug and bed tonneau cover, so I am thinking of getting some Billiebars to put our RTT for this summer, while we figure the camper and wait for it to be built.

Attachments

• IMG_6191.jpeg
    IMG_6191.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

jaywo

Azure grey?
Yes, my favorite color

Looks like Area51.

Where are you finding the Raptor rear shocks for $600? I need to get some too.

When not on the vehicle (and new), your tires should measure 33.2", but probably 32.5" with the truck's weight on them.

Price fluctuates now it’s 660. Link:

K9LTW

What tacollie said. 85 octane at altitude is like 87 in the lowlands. In oversimplified terms, less oxygen = need for fuel that ignites easier. 93 octane here = 91 out there, typically. And it's running lockers that you don't want to do on dry pavement...4Hi is fine. Otherwise you couldn't have full-time 4WD vehicles.

rruff

Explorer
And it's running lockers that you don't want to do on dry pavement...4Hi is fine. Otherwise you couldn't have full-time 4WD vehicles.
4WD and AWD are not the same... and 4WD should not be used on dry pavement.

AWD uses a center differential to distribute the engine's torque between the two axles, while 4WD relies on a transfer case, which is "locked". You get binding in turns with 4WD.

K9LTW

4WD and AWD are not the same... and 4WD should not be used on dry pavement.

AWD uses a center differential to distribute the engine's torque between the two axles, while 4WD relies on a transfer case, which is "locked". You get binding in turns with 4WD.
I think it depends on the 4WD system, no? My first-gen Sequoia had a separate center diff lock with 2WD, 4Hi, and 4Lo. I didn't make it a habit to use 4WD on totally dry roads, but never experienced any binding/etc. on the short stints where I did when cruising along mixed surfaces with drive pavement intermixed. Though I also never did any tight turns. With that diff locked? Absolutely not unless going straight or on really slippery surfaces. That may be the difference, too, where a "traditional" 4WD always uses a locking center diff?

Either way...if there were damage from someone binding up the drivetrain in a high-grip situation, it should be readily apparent!

Edit: And now realizing that traditional transfer cases don't actually utilize a center diff. Learned something new!

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
I think it depends on the 4WD system, no? My first-gen Sequoia had a separate center diff lock with 2WD, 4Hi, and 4Lo.
Recently it's been pretty common to have a "full-time" option on 4WD... at least the 1/2-tons. Just looked it up and the Sequoias have had a full time 4WD, but not the Tundra... and I don't think the latest Tundra does either.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Recently it's been pretty common to have a "full-time" option on 4WD... at least the 1/2-tons. Just looked it up and the Sequoias have had a full time 4WD, but not the Tundra... and I don't think the latest Tundra does either.
GM also offers the AutoTrac full time system on their HD's. Far as I know they are the only manufacturer that offer this,

Dougnuts

What tacollie said. 85 octane at altitude is like 87 in the lowlands. In oversimplified terms, less oxygen = need for fuel that ignites easier. 93 octane here = 91 out there, typically. And it's running lockers that you don't want to do on dry pavement...4Hi is fine. Otherwise you couldn't have full-time 4WD vehicles.

As mentioned, 4H is not fine. Only trucks with 4A (which I think jaywo has) can be left in 4WD on pavement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12