MTWheeler's First Jeep! '42 Willys MB

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Yeah, there wasn't enough of mine that was original that was worth saving. I figured I would give it another life and that would be a good enough tribute!

unkamonkey

Explorer
I can't or don't want to remember how many rear axle shafts I broke on my MB. If you can, get a origional shaft, the newer ones are junk. That D23-2 isn't the most robust axle around.
The Jeep I should have kept.

unkamonkey

Explorer
We bought our MB in 1968, my father had as much fun driving it as anybody, it could have been from the can of Coors beer nestled on the left side of the drivers seat.
Both the CJ3B and Commando seem to be getting a fair amount of thumbs ups lately at stop lights and in parking lots.
Enjoy.

Happy Wanderer

Thanks a lot for sharing the story, updates and PHOTOS. That's a very cool old jeep. I'm glad she found an appreciative new home that will take care of her.

MTWheeler

Observer
Thanks for the kind words fellas!

I am having some issue with the carb recently... It does want to run at all, unless I give it about a quarter choke. And idling on it's own is out of the question as well... I was thinking about a rebuild kit for the one barrel Carter carb. I have recently changed all the fuel filters and added fresh fuel, but this didn't fix the problem either.

Any advice or suggestions?

unkamonkey

Explorer
There is person on both the CJ2A and early CJ5 sites. He uses the name scoutpilot. He seems to know his stuff about these Carters.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the kind words fellas!

I am having some issue with the carb recently... It does want to run at all, unless I give it about a quarter choke. And idling on it's own is out of the question as well... I was thinking about a rebuild kit for the one barrel Carter carb. I have recently changed all the fuel filters and added fresh fuel, but this didn't fix the problem either.

Any advice or suggestions?

Check for vacuum leaks or the idle circuit is plugged in your carb.

MTWheeler

Observer
So a little update on the '42.
Still was running poorly, so before I spent the money on a carb rebuild kit, I figured that I would pull it apart, see what I have to work with, and clean the living ******* out of it.

The carb and linkages came off easy enough
IMAG1427.jpg

All apart! I was very surprised by the amount of tiny little pins and springs that make this carb work.
The float bowl was full of crud that had built up over the years!
IMAG1424.jpg

Grrrrrrr....... 99% back together.... One little spring leftover. I hate that!!
IMAG1425.jpg

Ok. Once I found the home to that spring, it was all done!! :D
IMAG1426.jpg

Then I set about hooking up all the linkages and bolting the carb back on.
It fired right off, and I grabbed a screwdriver and then I was able to dial it in perfectly!!

Also, we recently went back to ND for a wedding, and, in the Subway parking lot, there sat either a '58, '59, or '60 Wide-Window Dodge Power Wagon! Super cool and pretty rare!
unnamed.jpg

MTWheeler

Observer
First Offroad Adventure!

Took her out to some old mining trails in Montana! Ran awesome, and everyone else on the trail loved it!

IMAG1432-1-1.jpg

IMAG1449-1.jpg

IMAG1451-1.jpg

MTWheeler

Observer
Haven't posted in a while. Turns out I made 4wheel & Off-road magazine this month!
6f2654295fbe0080837bdd18de9658f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179