OregonSR5

Observer
4runnerMG_3917.jpg
4runnerIMG_3915.jpg
4runnerIMG_3914.jpg
4runnerIMG_3908.jpg
4runnerIMG_3902.jpg
4runnerIMG_3901.jpg

Well, here she is! 1985 Toyota 4Runner SR5, 5 speed, 22-RE. 155k on the clock with a rebuild in the last 1,000 miles. This will be a place for me to post updates and gain insight from other members.

2scars

Adventurer
Geez, nice whip. That is a great platform for just about anything. Parts are just about as cheap as you will find for a performance built Toyota as well. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

OregonSR5

Observer
Current plans:
OME Dakar Leaves and Shocks
Axle Rebuild from TG
TG Bumpers and Sliders
4.88's
Selectable front locker(ARB)
Aussie Rear Locker
Upgrade front brakes(IFS Calipers and vented rotors)
Re-paint the hard top
Aluminum radiator, and get the AC fixed.

juicebox

Adventurer
No IFS swap planned? :sombrero:

I wanted a 1st gen 4runner so bad when I was 16... Ended up getting a truck and still to this day, have wanted a 1st gen 4runner.

OregonSR5

Observer
HAHA funny, not a chance! I have owned one rig without a solid axle and it just wasn't for me. I could have found an IFS first gen runner, but I have a definite affliction for an "Original" SFA 85 Toyota.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
That's one of my favorite exteriors--metallic gray with the SR5 stripes.

You're so close to original, you might want to consider a relic re-creation. These really help complete the look:

images

Even though mine's not an SR5, I snagged a set on Craigslist and love 'em.

You're mighty close to this awesomeness (wish I hadn't carried it around in my backpack so long):

img021.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited:

OregonSR5

Observer
Anybody have any good ideas for a good replacement radiator? I don't think I'm overheating but the motor is definitely hot. I would like to address this issue before summer comes and I'm cruising around with the AC on. I'll be doing a 2stage thermostat at the same time.
Also, what do you recommend for brakes? I've got some pretty serious warpage going on as there is a good bit of stutter and wiggle upon hard braking.

austintaco

Explorer
For Brakes, do the IFS upgrade. There are so many ways people have done this and I don't think there is one right answer.

When I first bought mine back, it was overheating slightly, and I think I changed everything (radiator, thermostat, hoses, water pump, before realizing it was the fan clutch.

If you do want some original wheels, I have a few of them. Not a set, but I think I have 3.

I have that advertisement hanging up in my garage.

OregonSR5

Observer
Ah yes fan clutch is on my list too, right now it has one of those crappy plastic tanked radiators and I would prefer a full metal/aluminum one. I think my main issue right now is the lack of a fan shroud and a poor fan clutch as it started overheating when I was in 1st gear going up a forest road.

austintaco

Explorer
band aid fix for now: turn on the rear heat and dissipate some of the excess heat that way. If you have passengers back there, probably not a good idea, but while temps are still low, that should help until you get a new radiator.

OregonSR5

Observer
band aid fix for now: turn on the rear heat and dissipate some of the excess heat that way. If you have passengers back there, probably not a good idea, but while temps are still low, that should help until you get a new radiator.

HAHA I've actually been doing that already. That thing cranks out some serious heat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78