new 750 lb, durable truck camper <$10k

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor
Many folks have headed the pop-up truck camper route to reduce weight. Cave Campers is a new entrant in the market and our hard wall truck camper weighs in at only 750 lbs; if weight is the issue, you might have an option now beyond pop-ups. We think that there might be a fit in the overland market and would love to get your feedback.

The design is targeted at outdoor enthusiasts. We purposefully did not include a bathroom or kitchen; we think some folks would prefer to cook and use the bathroom outdoors versus within a confined space. The trade-off is interesting because you gain a spacious shelter that makes it easy to move around and store and retrieve gear. The composite panel design means there is nothing to rust or rot. The simplicity means there's nothing to break. At the end of the trip you can even hose out the floor.

At $9,950 (including jacks) we think this could be an interesting choice. What do you think?

Cave Collage.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Interesting concept and I'm happy to hear that a light weight camper is starting to gain some traction but in my opinion, if I may, it looks a little goofy. Specifically the gap between the cab and the camper.

Do you have any other models that are more streamlined and low profile? Pop Top model? What's the wind noise like? Have you tested MPG with the camper on? I do like the bin storage up top.

I hope I don't offend you with my comment...just giving my honest feedback.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
^ Agree. Very tall. Lots of gap space, above the truck cab. Assuming very challenging wind resistance and excessive noise.

I do like the lite weight element, and interior simplicity. Our pop-up truck camper doesn't have a bathroom or shower, and wouldn't want them. We are even considering dumping the stock 3-way fridge, for our 63qt ARB. Much more efficient. All we want and need is the propane heater, for comfort. We don't even use the 20-something gallon fresh water tank; just use Rotopax and no need to ever winterize the camper ;)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rando

Explorer
I have to say it does look a little unwieldy and poorly fitted to the truck it is modeled on. For promotional purposes at least, you should find/build a better matched truck camper combo. If you could offer something novel like a hard sided pop up I think you would have much more interest. $10K is a lot to pay for a somewhat generic box.

Clutch

<---Pass
Interesting concept and I'm happy to hear that a light weight camper is starting to gain some traction but in my opinion, if I may, it looks a little goofy. Specifically the gap between the cab and the camper.

Do you have any other models that are more streamlined and low profile? Pop Top model? What's the wind noise like? Have you tested MPG with the camper on? I do like the bin storage up top.

I hope I don't offend you with my comment...just giving my honest feedback.

Tufport has a bunch of different models, with varying heights and a bit more aero. Have a refrigerated unit as well (think insulated camper)

http://www.tufport.com/home

Priority_Plus_Medical_MTC_(3).jpg

Last edited:

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the feedback folks!

I certainly know what you mean about the odd looking gap. The pictures you see here are of our first prototype. After a summer of driving around and gathering feedback we've made some adjustments to the production version which will start shipping in December.

Key Changes in production model:

1. We drop the over cab storage down so there's not a big, silly gap catching all that air.
2. We made the hole for the cab storage larger so it's more ergonomic to store and retrieve large items.
3. We add a removable table to the interior (room for 4 to play cards or eat).
4. We add the ability to arrange cushions into a queen bed or two separate beds.
5. We doubled the interior lighting.
6. The front counter is removed making it easier to get to the storage. Two counters in the corner are added to the rear.

We plan to make a larger truck camper model and a pull-behind trailer model based on customer feedback but with similar design principles: incredibly durable, lightweight, and easy to clean. We won't likely make a pop-up model as the mechanical components and fabric don't meet our goal of building something that is going to last a very, very long time with very low maintenance.
&#65532;

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I think excluding the kitchen is a good idea. But the bathroom would be nice to have. Even just a small sink, and a pull out casette toilet. At that point it would satisfy my wife's wish list.

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor
Tufport has a bunch of different models, with varying heights and a bit more aero. Have a refrigerated unit as well (think insulated camper)

http://www.tufport.com/home

View attachment 375239

The Tufport folks make some cool products. Note that the insulated version I think is around $20k range and it doesn't come with beds, a table, and such like the Cave Camper. So it's really a different solution. Seems their focus in the medical field.

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor
Simple, lightweight, clean & low cost puts it high on my "maybe one day" list.

Thanks for the feedback JakeH. What sort of activities do you do that draws you to the Cave camper "maybe one day". What do you use now that it would replace or supplement?

Clutch

<---Pass
The Tufport folks make some cool products. Note that the insulated version I think is around $20k range and it doesn't come with beds, a table, and such like the Cave Camper. So it's really a different solution. Seems their focus in the medical field.

Seems like they do a little bit of everything.

The medical unit could be made into a camper, without too much effort.

TufortMTC-3229.jpg

Like some models you can carry an ATV or Dirt Bike. If you can do the same for $10K that would be cool.

InOutATV4.jpg

tk421

How many cross-posts are required? Seen variations of this post in Pop-Ups, Hard Sides, Domestic Full-size, and Vendors forums.

What is the stand-up height inside? Is it pre-wired for a camper battery, and does it have propane storage?

Clutch

<---Pass
How many cross-posts are required? Seen variations of this post in Pop-Ups, Hard Sides, Domestic Full-size, and Vendors forums.

Ha, I know! I got confused between the threads....thought constructive criticism posts were being deleted.

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
"JakeH - Simple, lightweight, clean & low cost puts it high on my "maybe one day" list." Yep...

Great concept and if the build quality is as good as it looks AND you can stay in business @ a 10g price point you've got a serious winner. What I like most about it is it removes the major barrier to DIY campers - building a composite shell with good doors - those are the two most difficult things to pull off as a home builder.

You might consider hosting a build - out forum where all the hackers can learn what the other guy just added to the base shell & how to work with composite panels. No reason you can't offer the better ideas as factory options...That might get you a solid community & publicity upon which you can build your business & produce other models - smaller (maybe), larger, trailer mounted & perhaps custom as the panel/extrusion build technique lends itself to cheaper one-offs compared to using molds or stick building like Akaskans. Best of luck & looking forward to seeing your next prototype. Moe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger