new 750 lb, durable truck camper <$10k

Roger M.

Adventurer
Very nice!

The Tuffport comparison is inevitable I suppose, but IMO it's not really a comparison that warrants making.
The Tuffport is traditional fiberglass construction and all its associated goods (strength, appearance, etc) and bads (weight, delamination, water ingress, fading, lack of insulation qualities, etc) - and the Cave is of a completely laminate construction, advanced in many ways over a traditionally laid up fiberglass piece.

Having said that, the pictures of the Cavecamper (although explained as a test platform) aren't doing anybody any favors (as already noted), and they don't really do anything to help market the camper.

What would be nice is to see in a picture is a 5' camper in a 5' box, on up to an 8' camper in an 8' box, and a crystal clear indication of the actual height of the camper above the truck cab is a must as well.

Right now, it's hard to determine anything at all about how the camper actually looks, sitting in a box that's too short, and with an (apparent) non-production roof-line, it actually works counter to marketing efforts of the product.

BUT ... I love the concept, I'm very interested in where it goes, live in Vancouver (just a tad to the North!) have the website bookmarked - and will be waiting to see if there are any updates to the marketing materials, reflecting a concerted effort to show potential customers exactly what it would be they'd be buying in a Cavecamper.

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the feedback Roger M. Yeah, I don't think the Tuffport is that comparable but I need to do more to make that abundantly clear.

We can't wait for feedback so here we are with a limited marketing launch on Expedition Portal to hear what you think. I also am anxious for the new content. Coming soon.

I like the idea of showing how it fits in different sized beds. I'm learning that some folks really want to make sure that the tailgate can close so that their rear camera works when connecting to a trailer. Makes sense.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Having said that, the pictures of the Cavecamper (although explained as a test platform) aren't doing anybody any favors (as already noted), and they don't really do anything to help market the camper.

What would be nice is to see in a picture is a 5' camper in a 5' box, on up to an 8' camper in an 8' box, and a crystal clear indication of the actual height of the camper above the truck cab is a must as well.

Right now, it's hard to determine anything at all about how the camper actually looks, sitting in a box that's too short, and with an (apparent) non-production roof-line, it actually works counter to marketing efforts of the product.

BUT ... I love the concept

Agreed.

Great concept.

Needs to look/fit better.

Good luck. :)

I'm not in this market at all so take this for what its worth. If I were in the market for something similar I'd be comparing it to camper shells. Other than the heater, its not that far off a shell with a couple of cots, a carpet kit, or a system like Goose Gear. This has a bit more built in but a 5x the price, I'd just go with a nice shell.

Roger M.

Adventurer
Shells can tend to leak (water AND cold air), and are completely uninsulated.
A small heater in the camper, and you're warm and dry.

Horses for courses I guess.

Shells can tend to leak (water AND cold air), and are completely uninsulated.
A small heater in the camper, and you're warm and dry.

Horses for courses I guess.

I've never had one leak on me. I did ignore the insulation, good point there. Without the kitchen and bath, it just feels like slide in shell as far as usefulness. I'm sure it would be perfect for some though.

The Artisan

Adventurer
You already have a bump out in your design. Make it longer and make it a sleeping area. You should incorporate a kitchen and toilet, IMO
Kevin

Last edited:

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
You already have a bump out in your design. Make it longer and make it a sleeping area. You should incorporate a kitchen and toilet, IMO
Kevin

My thoughts too! It doesn't have to be super fancy. Just a space to slide in the Porta-Potti, a space to safely put a stove (venting & fireproof) and a space for an ARB fridge or equivalent.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm not in this market at all so take this for what its worth. If I were in the market for something similar I'd be comparing it to camper shells. Other than the heater, its not that far off a shell with a couple of cots, a carpet kit, or a system like Goose Gear. This has a bit more built in but a 5x the price, I'd just go with a nice shell.

It is a little beyond a basic shell. believe his pricing is spot on. If you ever priced out refrigerated slip-ins he is a bit cheaper than those. A FWC shell is $9500, a AT Habitat is darn near $9000, add windows to the AT and it is at $10K....neither will have the insulated properties of a composite.

truck_2.jpg

I've never had one leak on me. I did ignore the insulation, good point there. Without the kitchen and bath, it just feels like slide in shell as far as usefulness. I'm sure it would be perfect for some though.

Yours is nicer but similar look at this guys layout
Kevin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWz3ugOHQqo

Just needs a little design adjustment, and believe he is good. Looks to be these are built to order, maybe he can build to people's requirements.

Some basic shells with kitchens ideas in here...wouldn't take much. These look appealing but, really don't want wood construction. https://www.cachecamper.com/photo-gallery/cab-over-canopies/

Can see Cave Camper's a much better solution for people who want a 4 season camper, without having to pay $25-30K for a Northen Lite, Big Foot, Alaskan, etc...

Maybe offer a popup model in the future? Most off road guys don't want the height of hardside...I know they won't work for me. Believe the US market is wanting a composite pop up, that doesn't cost $35K, if done right, might pull some business from Four Wheel Camper.

https://tembotravelservices.wordpre...mper-unit-4x4camper-unit-offroad-camper-unit/

hilux-groen.jpg

Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
I will be working on 2 flatbed versions like my prototype, hardside and fabric. Never really looked at the truckbed market, just seems like the space is so tight.
Kevin

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor
Agreed, a composite popup (insulated) shell is a nice idea.

Love the feedback folks.

I haven't personally used a pop-up truck camper. It sounds like for this crew the main benefit of that is clearance. Fuel economy and weight being secondary benefits?

What do you think about my general concerns of the pop-up concept:
1. Moving parts break
2. Fabric rots
3. Fabric makes for very poor insulation
4. Eventually the thing leaks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78