new 750 lb, durable truck camper <$10k

UHAULER

Explorer
I think you are on the right track with a simple hard side camper. I think the main concern would be to make them fit the truck better. Me personally, I would want a hardside that doesn't hang over the bed sides, was just tall enough to have a cab over bed and look nice and proportionate. Basically an updated Callen camper, but a slide in.

herm

Adventurer
check out the campers that Roamin Chariot used to produce. I love mine. it does not stick out over the bed, is light weight and has space to sleep 4 and a couple of storage cabinets. I would love to buy one just like it that fits my modern truck better. i have to raise it 6 inches and there is a large gap under the over cab portion.

Clutch

<---Pass
Agreed, a composite popup (insulated) shell is a nice idea.

I will be working on 2 flatbed versions like my prototype, hardside and fabric. Never really looked at the truckbed market, just seems like the space is so tight.
Kevin

Love the feedback folks.

I haven't personally used a pop-up truck camper. It sounds like for this crew the main benefit of that is clearance. Fuel economy and weight being secondary benefits?

What do you think about my general concerns of the pop-up concept:
1. Moving parts break
2. Fabric rots
3. Fabric makes for very poor insulation
4. Eventually the thing leaks

Believe the popup market is there...just look at how many Tacoma's with Four Wheel Campers are out there. Believe the Eagle (now called the Fleet) is their most popular model. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hardside won't work for me. Currently have a Tacoma and Wildernest....love the compactness of it. There are some spots I like to go that I can barely squeeze it into. There is no way I could get a hardside in without destroying it. I lived in Arizona for the past 20 years...now have been in Idaho for the last 2 years. Love the Wildernest, however it is basically a 3 season tent. So I am looking at campers that would be a better 4 season, since I like to camp year round. Ski/Snow Machine season just started for an example. c'mon snow! :D

My options are for a Tacoma:

Four Wheel Camper $9500 (shell)
All Terrian Camper $7500 (shell)
AT Habitat $9-10K (worse insulated out of the bunch)
Alaskan $14,5000 (wood construction, which I don't care for)
Gazelle $35,000 (probably the best insulated however the most expensive)

Yes, you loose some insulation qualities with popup, I would configure the camper so I could sleep in it with the top closed on those really cold nights. Not going to be in it much during the day, as I'll be skiing, snowboarding, or on snow machines all day.

Basically looking to replicate this, but with better insulation, as I have read the FWC's are so-so in the cold. Might even just build it myself, since there really isn't anything on the US market that is fitting the wants and needs.

gallery_2452_259_30554.jpg

Even considering buying a reefer slip-in, and converting it into a camper. Cut some windows in the sides and a popup in the roof, and call it good.

Slip-In-Angle-View.jpg

Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
Yes, you loose some insulation qualities with popup, I would configure the camper so I could sleep in it with the top closed on those really cold nights. Not going to be in it much during the day, as I'll be skiing, snowboarding, or on snow machines all day.

I will cure some of that with a heavier made skirt with mylar type reflective material sandwiched between to layers of fabric, Mesh screen for air movement, separate roll plastic windows (same used in convertible tops) for light and rollup shades.
Kevin

Clutch

<---Pass
I will cure some of that with a heavier made skirt with mylar type reflective material sandwiched between to layers of fabric, Mesh screen for air movement, separate roll plastic windows (same used in convertible tops) for light and rollup shades.
Kevin

Perfect. I know FWC and ATC has an "Artic Kit" don't know what it is made out of.

From what I have read about the FWC in cold climate, is the aluminum frame construction...even though it is insulated between the frame rails...it still conducts cold.

Could also do hard side panels that fold into place, not unlike what Alaskan does. Have a link to a hilux that a popup roof with such panels. Thought I had it booked mark...but can't find it. Will look.

EDIT: found it...not a slide in...but you get the idea.

http://passion4travel.pl/mieszkanie-dla-dwojga-na-hiluxie/

IMG_8636.JPG

IMG_8620.JPG

IMG_8668.JPG

Last edited:

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
"What do you think about my general concerns of the pop-up concept:
1. Moving parts break
2. Fabric rots
3. Fabric makes for very poor insulation
4. Eventually the thing leaks"

Study any Alaskan you can find - they desperately need an engineering & composite materials update to drop the weight & stop them from rotting - but they are very reliable. (at least with a manual pump...)Moe

The Artisan

Adventurer
My pods is quite a bit larger so it would need the insulation. I designed a 7x7 trailer that folds out to 7x14 with folding walls and a canvas roof.
Tons of plans and ideas........
Kevin

Hanes

Many folks have headed the pop-up truck camper route to reduce weight. Cave Campers is a new entrant in the market and our hard wall truck camper weighs in at only 750 lbs; if weight is the issue, you might have an option now beyond pop-ups. We think that there might be a fit in the overland market and would love to get your feedback.

I haven't personally used a pop-up truck camper. It sounds like for this crew the main benefit of that is clearance. Fuel economy and weight being secondary benefits?

Here's hoping you succeed in bringing another compelling option to the market, but as an entrepreneur I must confess it's seems a bit surprising that you wish to offer a new option in a market currenty served largely by pop-up campers, and yet you say you haven't even personally used a pop-up camper.

Nothing beats hands-on experience. The better you know your prospective customer's needs and wants, the beter your chances of fulfilling them.

I really do wish you luck, but I suggest your odds of success would increase if you would experience first hand the existing offerings a bit more. After all, they are your prospective competition, and it always pays to really understand your competition's strength's and weaknesses.

sg1

Adventurer
Here http://www.sandkorn-leichtbau.com/index.html is a lightweight slide in pop up camper with solid walls. It is in German but the pictures are self explanatory. The shell has 200 kg (440 lbs.) fully equipped 500 kg (1100 lbs.). I looked at it in at Abenteuer Allrad and it looked well made. It has insulation on the aluminum frame to prevent thermal bridges.
Stefan

Clutch

<---Pass
Here http://www.sandkorn-leichtbau.com/index.html is a lightweight slide in pop up camper with solid walls. It is in German but the pictures are self explanatory. The shell has 200 kg (440 lbs.) fully equipped 500 kg (1100 lbs.). I looked at it in at Abenteuer Allrad and it looked well made. It has insulation on the aluminum frame to prevent thermal bridges.
Stefan

That would be perfect for a midsize truck. Thinking the diesel Colorado is going to be the next hot platform for the US, small(ish) and decent fuel economy. Problem with most of the popup campers available here, is that it pushes you over payload real quick, even for 1/2 tons. To do it right you should buy a 3/4-1 Ton truck...then you have to deal with poor fuel economy.

sg1

Adventurer
You can manage to stay within payload limits with a half ton. I have a 2015 F 150 crew cab 3.5 Ecoboost without heavy payload package and a FWC Hawk. I bought the Hawk as a shell and equipped it myself with lots of storage, a Propex heater, a 115 Ah house battery and on demand hot water. Even fully equipped for a 6 week trip to the Canadian Arctic, all tanks full and both of us in the truck we were about 50 lbs. under max. GVW.

Clutch

<---Pass
You can manage to stay within payload limits with a half ton. I have a 2015 F 150 crew cab 3.5 Ecoboost without heavy payload package and a FWC Hawk. I bought the Hawk as a shell and equipped it myself with lots of storage, a Propex heater, a 115 Ah house battery and on demand hot water. Even fully equipped for a 6 week trip to the Canadian Arctic, all tanks full and both of us in the truck we were about 50 lbs. under max. GVW.

For a constant load, I like be at about 1/2 of maximum payload, like a bit of wiggle room. If you ever get a chance, you should toss that camper on a 3/4 or 1 ton to try it. There is a huge difference on how the 1/2 ton vs. 3/4-1 ton trucks handle the same load.

keithert

What is the GVW of your truck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger