New CHEAP satellite messenger!

Not sure if anyone has heard, but Motorola just released a new two-way satellite communication device. Its called Motorola Defy and it links with your Android or iOS smartphone via Bluetooth to send/receive text messages or activate an SOS independently.

The thing that sets this unit apart from the competition (Garmin inReach, Zoleo, Spot) is the COST! Retail is $150 USD and includes 12 months of their basic service plan(30 messages per month). After that the basic plan is $5/month!

It doesn't have it's own screen like the Garmin or use the same proven network, but as a long-time inReach user it's nice to see competition. Specs on the link below:

86scotty

Cynic
Thanks for sharing. I've been searching for an upgrade to our old Spot. It only makes sense since we all carry a smartphone, which already has the keyboard and interface for text communication.

ITTOG

That is good pricing. I have the in-reach built into my Montana 700 gps but this is cheap enough it might be worth getting instead of always having to take my gps for area's where the trail is easy to find.

highwest

…and I just paid for my annual SPOT subscription last week.

The coverage area seems a bit limited for now (just US). Anyone know of that’s only for messaging? Or also for emergencies?

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
This looks excellent! It looks like you can also use it without the phone to call SOS in emergencies. However, now that this is on the market, I wouldn't be surprised if SPOT reduces their prices to compete with it.

In addition to a SPOT, I also carry a RESCUEME PLB1 PLB, which I think was $280 with an REI member coupon. It requires no subscription fees, and has a 7 year battery- so that works out to about $3.33/month total ownership cost. Obviously it can't do non-emergency messaging, but is an even cheaper option for emergency satellite messaging. I also feel like a real PLB is probably a more robust emergency system than a satellite communicator.

smokeysevin

Observer
They (Bullet Devices?) Are also making the new CAT S75 and Moto Defy2 with the capabilty built into the phone. Has not been released yet but is supposedly coming soon.

Sean

CCH

Adventurer
That is a pretty phenomenal deal. I do almost everything using my inReach over the phone interface anyway. Having that built into a phone would be awesome.

This looks excellent! It looks like you can also use it without the phone to call SOS in emergencies. However, now that this is on the market, I wouldn't be surprised if SPOT reduces their prices to compete with it.

In addition to a SPOT, I also carry a RESCUEME PLB1 PLB, which I think was $280 with an REI member coupon. It requires no subscription fees, and has a 7 year battery- so that works out to about $3.33/month total ownership cost. Obviously it can't do non-emergency messaging, but is an even cheaper option for emergency satellite messaging. I also feel like a real PLB is probably a more robust emergency system than a satellite communicator.
You are absolutely correct on PLBs! They utilize a 3-layer system(GPS, radio frequency, and homing beacon) to send an emergency signal. The difference- like you mentioned- is there's ZERO two-way communication. Also, the battery has to be replaced if an SOS is triggered as the device will continuously try to send the signal for locating purposes. These are not regular batteries either. Probably the best option if your device is truly just for buyout situations.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Thanks for posting this, I've been wondering about other communication alternatives to the phone and Ham rig.

Sent from my Toaster linked to Hairdryer.

CMARJEEP

Observer
I read in a review that these don’t actually send text messages. It sends a link to the recipient to download an app that they have to use to respond back. Can anyone confirm?

The other negative is they don’t send tracking.

86scotty

Cynic
I read in a review that these don’t actually send text messages. It sends a link to the recipient to download an app that they have to use to respond back. Can anyone confirm?

The other negative is they don’t send tracking.

Uh oh. I didn't look very far in to this and it's news to me. I'd love to know more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior