New CHEAP satellite messenger!

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Rumor has it that Google may include emergency communications as part of future version of Android

Sent from my kukui using Tapatalk

It will not be an improvement until it uses Starlink. Existing satellite infrastructure has net been improved since Iridium's Next launch series from six years ago, which is only available to industry. Airplanes military and cruises. Buy an Inreach mini, it sucks the least. Again, Starlink is the only thing that has moved an inch. So we wait for Starlink to add micro modems.

luckypup

Not sure if anyone has heard, but Motorola just released a new two-way satellite communication device. Its called Motorola Defy and it links with your Android or iOS smartphone via Bluetooth to send/receive text messages or activate an SOS independently.

The thing that sets this unit apart from the competition (Garmin inReach, Zoleo, Spot) is the COST! Retail is $150 USD and includes 12 months of their basic service plan(30 messages per month). After that the basic plan is $5/month!

It doesn't have it's own screen like the Garmin or use the same proven network, but as a long-time inReach user it's nice to see competition. Specs on the link below:

Love the pricing. My Zoleo was $20 a month, with a 3-month min. Nice device, but I sold it because I didn't use it. If the Motorola performs well, this might be an alternative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior