New CHEAP satellite messenger!

I read in a review that these don’t actually send text messages. It sends a link to the recipient to download an app that they have to use to respond back. Can anyone confirm?

The other negative is they don’t send tracking.
Being so new, I'm still learning myself as I read more into it. An article on xda-developers.com stated this:

Those sending messages will need to download and set up the Bullitt Satellite Messenger app on their phone, but what's great about this system is that those receiving messages do not have to download the app and will receive them as standard SMS messages.

So...sounds like unless you want to SEND messages there's no app to download. This does mean, however, that people at home will need to download the app on their phones if they want the ability to contact YOU and not just read your messages via SMS text.

From the same article in regards to tracking:

...the Defy Satellite Link has a physical "check in" button that can be pushed at any time that will send out alerts to those connected, giving them an update on the progress of your trip.

This means you don't have the ability to leave 'breadcrumbs' like my inReach Mini does, but you can let people at home see your progress. I can see for some users that might be a deal-breaker.

I will probably purchase one myself as I have the original inReach and even using the Freedom Plan I'm paying $80/year. I can give it a one year trial while I'm getting free service. It's 20 more messages a month than I'm getting with the inReach! If I don't like it as much I can always start service again on the Garmin.

Here's a link to the article quoted if you want to read more:

robgendreau

Explorer
Is this thing any different than a Zoleo or InReach?
Yes.

Can't speak to Zoleo much, but the Motorola is less expensive up front, and less per month for the plan. A free first year.

It uses Immarsat I believe; Garmin uses Iridium. The Motorola is currently limited I think to Europe and the USA (not much of Canada, not sure about AK). There are plans to expand though.

The Garmin devices are much more varied; some are very high zoot GPS handhelds too. Some are more basic. But they can display GPS coordinates; I think with the Motorola there's no display so your phone needs to be paired.

Garmin uses GEOS for the rescue dispatch, whtich they own. Good track record, and a couple of different rescue insurance options. Motorola uses a different company for rescue dispatch and I'm not familiar with them, but they also I think offer at least one rescue insurance package. Check. Garmin has plans for groups. companies, etc. And you can suspend your Garmin data plan for months; not sure about Motorola. Some Garmins can communicate with other Garmins in the field easily; not sure how this works with Motorola.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yes.

Can't speak to Zoleo much, but the Motorola is less expensive up front, and less per month for the plan. A free first year.

It uses Immarsat I believe; Garmin uses Iridium. The Motorola is currently limited I think to Europe and the USA (not much of Canada, not sure about AK). There are plans to expand though.
The system is an extension of Inmarsat ELERA used for IoT devices. The underlying technology is driven by MediaTek and the 3GPP 5G NTN initiative (3rd generation partnership project 5G non-terrestrial network).

It's different from Inmarsat phones but is an existing system intended for short data packets. The proposals hope that eventually several technologies will converge so that cellular terrestrial networks and new satellites will be a seamless network but this is just a first step towards that.

https://www.mediatek.com/technology/5g/5g-satellite-ntn

not sure how this works with Motorola.
The Defy (Bullit) SOS is apparently handled by FocusPoint International.

https://www.focuspointintl.com/tren...otorola-defy-satellite-link-by-bullitt-group/

FocusPoint is who handles SOS for SPOT. GEOS used to handle SPOT but Garmin acquired GEOS and that changed the situation.

https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/spot-focuspoint-partnership

Hegear

I’ve had ZOLEO for a few years and it works well. The $50 unlimited plan is great, it’s easy to switch off and on so you’re not paying when not using it. It also comes with weather updates and leaves a breadcrumb trail for close ones that want to follow your journey. I’ve used in the USA and Mexico and it’s always worked.

NorthEnuf

Not sure if anyone has heard, but Motorola just released a new two-way satellite communication device. Its called Motorola Defy and it links with your Android or iOS smartphone via Bluetooth to send/receive text messages or activate an SOS independently.

The thing that sets this unit apart from the competition (Garmin inReach, Zoleo, Spot) is the COST! Retail is $150 USD and includes 12 months of their basic service plan(30 messages per month). After that the basic plan is $5/month!

It doesn't have it's own screen like the Garmin or use the same proven network, but as a long-time inReach user it's nice to see competition. Specs on the link below:

I sent my Defy Satellite Link back after just a couple of days. Although a little tedious to set up the app on my phone and set up an account, the process was honestly not horrible. Unfortunately I could never get it to connect to a satellite, so it was essentially unusable. Too bad. It was light weight, compact and inexpensive (as these things go). I really was hoping for it to work out.

m-l_johnny

I sent my Defy Satellite Link back after just a couple of days. Although a little tedious to set up the app on my phone and set up an account, the process was honestly not horrible. Unfortunately I could never get it to connect to a satellite, so it was essentially unusable. Too bad. It was light weight, compact and inexpensive (as these things go). I really was hoping for it to work out.
That’s a bummer to hear. I ordered one a few days ago. Waiting on it to be delivered.

I would give it a chance to see how it works for you! The Motorola uses a different type of satellites which are in High Earth Orbit(~22,000 miles) AND are geostationary(they move with the planet). What this means is they will take longer to send/receive signals than the Iridium network used by Garmin which are only 1/4 the distance away.

Also, being geostationary they may not get a signal if you are obstructed by something, but if you move you might have better luck. With the Iridium satellites they are constantly moving thru Low Earth Orbit so although you may not immediately have a signal at some point a satellite should cross in your path(so long as you're not obstructed).
That’s a bummer to hear. I ordered one a few days ago. Waiting on it to be delivered.

The_Squid

Any idea why it wouldn't connect? Was it a flaw in the device, or a satellite coverage issue?

NorthEnuf

Any idea why it wouldn't connect? Was it a flaw in the device, or a satellite coverage issue?
Honestly no idea which it might have been. I left things on and connected and after nearly 4 hours no connection and my message had not sent. I did move the device several hundred feet, twice, but got no better results. It just did not give me any confidence that I could depend on it in an emergency. On the other hand this is just one device and it was it was only used in a very limited number of locations, so may not be representative. I hope others have a better experience. It really does seem like a great concept.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Satcoms suck. Zero real innovations in a decade. Inreach mini sucks the least. Come on Elon. Let's get that Starlink mini cooking!

DRAX

A review. No affiliation.

I'm just watching that video right now and he touched on something already mentioned in this thread; No actual phone number assigned to the device or your account. The only way to have 2-way communication is via the Bullitt app, otherwise it's send-only. With both the Zoleo and inReach the device has a dedicated number that people can send SMS messages to, there's no requirement that everyone has to use an app in order for there to be 2-way communication. That right there is likely to trigger a hard pass on the Motorola unit for many users. I know it is for me as being able to send and receive SMS messages with anyone that has a cell phone makes the Zoleo and inReach services a lot more flexible when it comes to communicating (I have a Zoleo, wife has an inReach).

One thing he got wrong in the video (at the 5:40 mark) is for the inReach not having a dedicated number/email. The inReach devices have both, just like the Zoleo.

The price of the Motorola unit, a year of service included, and cheaper monthly plans are likely to attract a lot of people but there are compromises being made to achieve those things. Hopefully people know the differences between these products and services before they commit to one.

Last edited:

The_Squid

No actual phone number assigned to the device or your account. The only way to have 2-way communication is via the Bullitt app, otherwise it's send-only.
That’s a fatal flaw, for sure. Makes it way less useful than Zoleo or Garmin.

I tried to find that information on their website, as someone els said the same thing. I could not find it anywhere. In my opinion, not making it really obvious how the app works on their website seems like they’re trying to gloss over, or even hide, that fact.

pluton

Adventurer
When I had an Inmarsat iSatphone Pro (Mk 1), which uses a geostationary satellite system, it was very sensitive to the direction the antenna was pointed. In my part of North America, the Inmarsat bird was about 45º up from the horizon and about 10º east of due south...it was in fact sitting about 23K miles above the Galapagos Islands. If I veered the antenna even 15 or 20º off, the service would drop out.

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior